Why so many '05 FJRs on the market?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice instrument panel. I for one much prefer the gen I instrument panel to the gen II bikes. Heat gauge? At 3 it's getting hot, at 4 the fans come on. Never saw 5. Easy. Gen II's added too many bars to the fuel and temp gauge. I know I'll get used to it but they did not make it simpler, just tiny.
No offense there deagle, but that has got to be the new low thresh hold for nit picking....too many bars on the gauge?!! Then again, if thats the only gripe you have on yer bike, you`re doing a lot better than many others! :rolleyes:

I love my '04 ABS Cerulean Silver with over 85,000 non-ticking Km's and as far as heat goes....no mods and it runs smoother than any other FJR I had tested, Gen 2's and the AE. Looks great, runs great....so where's the question. You just won't find too many around so you might as well go for the '05 Gen2 and live with the blue, once you twist the throttle you'll forget about the colour of the bike anyways.

Some guys with the heat issues condemned the whole boat load of FJR's and were thinking of ST1300's until they tried them, and found them underpowered and even hotter on the legs.

The nice thing about a used bike, you'll be able to test ride it. Once you do, better get out the check book.

So we keep hearing from Gen2 owners how much better their bikes are. If you remove the "heat issue" from the table, because for many of us it just isn't an issue, what is so much better about a 2nd gen?

Personally, I find no incentive to upgrade from my current 1st gen to a 2nd gen. If I were buying another today, I'd take whatever was the best deal regardless of generation.

So we keep hearing from Gen2 owners how much better their bikes are. If you remove the "heat issue" from the table, because for many of us it just isn't an issue, what is so much better about a 2nd gen?
Personally, I find no incentive to upgrade from my current 1st gen to a 2nd gen. If I were buying another today, I'd take whatever was the best deal regardless of generation.
C'mon, Fred. Fess up. You KNOW the only way you'd take a Gen II is if it already had the ignition switch recall, the Instant-MPG recall, the ECU recall and the wiring harness replaced.

Did I miss anything? :evilsmiley:

C'mon, Fred. Fess up. You KNOW the only way you'd take a Gen II is if it already had the ignition switch recall, the Instant-MPG recall, the ECU recall and the wiring harness replaced.

:lol: :lol:

I have an 04, which I bought used, with 10,000 miles on the clock. The hard bags were still in the original boxes, never even opened. At first it was hot to ride in the summer, however, I did the all three heat mods, and do not have a problem with the heat. I can't believe there are still people out there that complain about the heat, and haven't done the mods. A couple hours and its fixed. Like my KLR, the FJR is a keeper!

Oh, and I'd definitely need to have a Brodie relay installed in it too... ;)

And, technically, there is no "fix" for the wiring harness burn-ups (yet).

In the name of "fair and unbiased reporting" I will admit that it would be sorta nice to have a few more amps out of the alternator. But I haven't even resorted to the Electrosport high output stator yet, so for a little over $100 that is really a non-issue.

I have an 04, which I bought used, with 10,000 miles on the clock. The hard bags were still in the original boxes, never even opened. At first it was hot to ride in the summer, however, I did the all three heat mods, and do not have a problem with the heat. I can't believe there are still people out there that complain about the heat, and haven't done the mods. A couple hours and its fixed. Like my KLR, the FJR is a keeper!
3 heat fixes? Cromeit block-off, under tank blanket, ...

What else is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
3 heat fixes? Cromeit block-off, under tank blanket, ...

What else is there?
air-conditioner-complete.jpg

OK, sheeze!

I tried to post a mod here Click

...that tries to save a few watts of battery power as a "possible" improvement on the electrical/ground load on the Gen 1's harness system, but very "few" picked up on it.

WTFIUWT?

3 heat fixes? Cromeit block-off, under tank blanket, ... What else is there?
Uhh, there are 2 more (that I can think of)...

#1 ...you can fabricate a block with two strategically drilled holes that "lift" your Gen I gas tank up about 1/2" in the front (you will need slightly longer 10mm bolts to do this).

#2 you can open some holes ( with a Dremel) up in the very foremost part of your fairing (below the radiator) in front of the headers to let more air pass through, to create more airflow to the lower end of the engine.

3 heat fixes? Cromeit block-off, under tank blanket, ... What else is there?
Uhh, there are 2 more (that I can think of)...

#1 ...you can fabricate a block with two strategically drilled holes that "lift" your Gen I gas tank up about 1/2" in the front (you will need slightly longer 10mm bolts to do this).
Really? That's the first time I've ever heard of that one. Wouldn't the tank being lifted screw-up how the faring trim pieces fit? Maybe not if it's only 1/2". Hmmm...

#2 you can open some holes ( with a Dremel) up in the very foremost part of your fairing (below the radiator) in front of the headers to let more air pass through, to create more airflow to the lower end of the engine.
Yeah, I forgot about that one. Also, folks that have gutted their Cats or gone with cat-less headers report reduced temps.

I have been reading all the post here & even though i own an 07 (fastest color by the way) just about every bike i have ever owned people have complained about , it`s too hot , it`s too slow, the seat sucks , my back hurts, there too many problem with that year. I`d say if you see a bike you like (reguardless of year) go for it & enjoy the hell out of it. Problems can be fixed & the aftermarket helps with adjusting the bike too your liking. The first time i really leven looked at an FJR was near the end of last year (Concours owners ride) & looked at the gen1 & 2 & i liked somethings on both, so i started looking & just happen to find my 07 & bought it. (BTW i was riding an 04 Roadstar at the time hence the name)

IMHO....... I don't give a $#*@ what YOU decide to ride, just get out there and ride!! Life is too short not to be out twisting the throttle of whatever machine you choose. It has also been my experience that no matter what generation of FJR owner I have run across, they all seem to love their rides. Sooooooo, the great news in this debate is you can't go wrong with the FJR!!!

Just for the record, I bought an '08 because it was the first one I test rode, and after doing so, I could not bear the thought of driving my car home; for me sometimes life is all about impulse!!! :yahoo:

I gotta get me one of those.

I should take a count of the different model years I see for sale. Seems to me that there have been a couple of 05s and 06s, the odd 04 and 03 here and there, and even an 07 and two 08s I've seen for sale in the past few months. What I'm saying is, whaddaya mean more 05s on the market than any other year?

Oh, and BTW, I thought we got rid of Roadstar. Who left the front door open? :p

Oh, and BTW, I thought we got rid of Roadstar. Who left the front door open?

NOPE !! i`m like a boil on you butt that just won`t go away

Really? That's the first time I've ever heard of that one. Wouldn't the tank being lifted screw-up how the faring trim pieces fit? Maybe not if it's only 1/2". Hmmm...
Try it, you'll like it! :D

Gen 1 '05 FJR