Why so many FJRs for sale

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honzo, the generation 1 bikes are prone to excessive valve guide wear, aka 'ticker's.
Prone? Mmmmm, don't think so. Bit strong of a descriptor there, Carver. You pocket some depleted uranium or sumpin'? If so, it's scrambled your internal dictionary. ;)

I understand circumstances govern (which is why I currently do not own a bike), but some of these things are getting turned around with less than a season's riding on them. I, tend to keep a machine for the long haul unless its a lemon.
I'm another one that is going to ride it into the ground or until it is totaled. Just got confirmation from Allstate that they will pay $6100 to get it repaired, (05 with 59,000m). I'm thinking parts at $2400 from U Motors and 10-12 hours of hard labor to fix it. Left over money will go to the new shocks and forks at GP Suspension, for another $1500. New bike? :)

People move on, tastes change, needs change, budgets change... No flaws, just what happens. Me, I'm riding my '05 into the ground, then I'll restore it and start all over again.
I understand circumstances govern (which is why I currently do not own a bike), but some of these things are getting turned around with less than a season's riding on them. I, tend to keep a machine for the long haul unless its a lemon.
Some of us are like you, some aren't. Heck, we've seen people go buy other sport tourers just to try em and keep their FJR too. Some people do things that others couldn't fathom. Some people wouldn't understand why I wouldn't think of selling my well worn FJR with 40k miles on it. Why? Heck, the valves haven't even needed to be adjusted yet. It's got a long way to go baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect to shop a gen2 next year but am wondering why so many are for sale with so few miles and no explanation. I really want one of these and am hoping there isn't some unspoken flaw that I might not be able to stomach. Please set my mind at ease, as I have established this machine as my "dream-bike".

and then there's people like me that have too many toys..

4 bikes,

and old RV (that's for sale)

and a Jeep

and a trailer I can use for the bikes and stuff...

Just sorta got too many things.

I sold the FJR , am keeping the Harley and Triumph, and will pbly also sell the Bandit.

I moved to Texas from Ohio, and when I actually register as a resident here,

I have to register ALL my vehicles in Texas, whether they're ever there or not..... that will be expensive, so am selling some.

And since I moved 2x this year, not much cash and very little time for riding.

I still would love a sport touring bike, the FJR is the easiest handling bike I've even had.

Mary

Last year when the C14 was a show item I jokingly stated " good maybe there'll be a bunch of FJR trade-ins and I can get one cheap" . I'd never ridden one but knew folks spoke of them in legendary tones. Well, sure enough my dealer gets 2 of'em traded in for c-14's and made me a deal on my '04 I couldn't refuse. Heck I even traded backwards and it was such a Fantastic machine; I still have a hard time believing it. Great forum support also, tons of good info on the search pages.

I gotta go out in the garage and stare at my bike again. TH

I am glad that there are starting to be several for sale. I have been looking and they are hard to find in my part of the country.

I am down to wanting a FJR first and a ST1300 second. I may have to settle on the ST if I can't find what I want within a decent range.

The guy that I bought mine from works for Yamaha Corp and is allowed to buy two bikes a year. He bought this one so he and his wife could go sport touring together, he just forgot one major issue, babysitter for his two infants when he wanted to go touring made it way more expensive than necessary. He also had an R1 and is an avid sport bike rider. I got one heck of a deal because he decided to stick with the R1 and sell this one. He also sells an R1 every year and gets the latest model. I bet you he is not alone in doing this.

It is one great bike. I am partial to the 2006 AE and will never go back to a bike with a clutch lever. This bike is just too fun. Plus, I finally have a bike my wife will get on with me. Just have to watch the lane sharing with her on it, I get squeezed quite a bit. B)

I am glad that there are starting to be several for sale. I have been looking and they are hard to find in my part of the country.I am down to wanting a FJR first and a ST1300 second. I may have to settle on the ST if I can't find what I want within a decent range.
Hope you like engine heat if you go with the ST. At least you'll be saving money on the vasectomy. you wont need it after riding that pressure cooker.

GreyGoose

I have a 06 and I love it. I have had it many places all over the Country (U.S) and it has never let me down.

I plan to keep it until it is worn out, crashed, or just not fun anymore.

The only things I do not like about the bike are:

1) The throttle spring is too strong for a sport touring bike designed for long distance riding. There are several posts on the forum on reducing the throttle spring tension.

2) The bike is tall and a bit top heavy. You will not notice this when once you are rolling above 5-10 miles an hour.

3) The bike should have self cancelling turn signals, my 1980 Suzuki GS1000 had them :angry2:

4) Not really a complaint but I would like to have a little more ground clearance. I also have a sport bike and after riding that the ground clearance on the FJR seems a little limited.

5) It would be nice if Yamaha offered a cruise control system like the Audiovox system as original or optional equipment.

With all this said, I am very happy with my purchase and I would do it again in a second.

When ever I get home from a long trip I start planning my next trip right away!

resizedRckymtn1.jpg

IMG_0960.1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect to shop a gen2 next year but am wondering why so many are for sale with so few miles and no explanation. I really want one of these and am hoping there isn't some unspoken flaw that I might not be able to stomach. Please set my mind at ease, as I have established this machine as my "dream-bike".

Lots of folks trading them/selling them off to get the new maintenance-free BMWs. The FJR as an overall package is labor intensive and high maintenance. I buy them, pull the motors and put 'em into go karts and part the rest out on E-Bay. You got an '05 ABS for sale? :blink:

Lots of folks trading them/selling them off to get the new maintenance-free BMWs. The FJR as an overall package is labor intensive and high maintenance. I buy them, pull the motors and put 'em into go karts and part the rest out on E-Bay. You got an '05 ABS for sale? :blink:
:lol:

I just became the 3rd owner of a 2006 FJRA with 1100 miles on it. Yes, that's right, the previous 2 owners each rode the bike less than 600 miles. The first owner I'm told had never owned a large bike and after riding the FJR decided it was too big. The second bought the FJR for solo jaunts to complement his Goldwing for 2 up work. He found he didn't have time for solo trips and his wife preferred the goldwing. This is my 2nd FJR and it's the best bike I've owned (and I've owned a bunch). I'm also a Honda snob but lately they just don't make anything I want.

So no, there isn't a conspiracy or anything and actually I had a hard time finding a good condition used 06. Good luck in your seach! As for me, I'm going riding this weekend.

Ok... the sad truth is out. The reason you see so many FJR's for sale is that most people can't handle the FJR's awesome power! :yahoo: Psssst.... :unsure: Haven't you noticed the increase in scooter sales? :D

because the truth be told...its a pretty crappy bike. Really. There's yer answer...hope I didn't bust yer bubble.

...or what TWN said.

Since ebay probably represents a pretty random representation of what's for sale:

currently on ebay, 19 hits for "FJR" in either the title or body of the ad.

for comparison, 26 K1200s, 13 ST1300s.

Seems pretty even to me.

currently on ebay, 19 hits for "FJR" in either the title or body of the ad. for comparison, 26 K1200s, 13 ST1300s. Seems pretty even to me.
To make numbers comparable, you need to throw in # of bikes sold. Since the BMW probably is the slowest seller (simple economics), its numbers are even worse than they look. Yamaha is next for sure, and am not surprised due to the major problems '07s are having (altitude sickness and clutch sticking), plus most '06s have an ugly lean surge as well. Not a good generation IMO. And even worse, not an official word from Yamaha. I wouldn't buy one now even at cost, but since I already have an '07, will wait for a fix... if it comes. Later gang.

JC