Wrecked the '15 already

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, without some high drama this just wouldn't be the FJRforum.
rolleyes.gif

Man, without some high drama this just wouldn't be the FJRforum.
rolleyes.gif
Actually Fred, I am going to disagree with you just a little bit.

My Take:

Without all of you wonderful people this just wouldn't be the FJRforum.

Pop and I were just discussing the embarrassment/humiliation/stupidity of wrecking a brand new bike like some sort of novice. He was telling me to quit beating myself up and to move on. I told him that was exactly the advice of The Forum and I was doing my best.

Listen to your Pop and the Forum.

Life goes on. Even after we scratch our new bikes. New bike... old bike... it really doesn't matter all that much. We love 'em no matter what. When they go down, so does our self esteem. But just for a little while. Then we realize it isn't a big deal, and move on to more important shit like what new seat you'll be buying or whose bar risers. That's the stuff that really matters.

Well, that an what oil you'll be using and if you'll be putting the whale jizz in your rear end
uhoh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
All relationships have both ups and downs, and both are necessary.

Fix the scars or leave them there, they are now just memories you made together.

Ever dropped your bike at a busy four way stop sign next to a highway patrolman like a newb? Did it a few months ago with my pristine KTM, almost done beating myself up by now.

Respect your moxie to get back on so quickly, your young, you'll heal fast.

'fish, I've been trying to come up with a humorous analogy for your get-off and finally came up with something that might, possibly, equal wrecking a bike with less than 25 miles on it....

Contracting an STD on your wedding night immediately came to mind.
rofl.gif
lol.gif

You waited 22 miles to tip it over? Two winters ago I tipped over a new Tenere with under 2 miles on it, and broke a $500. saddle bag off and tested the crash bars. I was trying to cross 150' of compacted snow and ice trying to get to a loading site to go to Texas Hill country for some mid winter riding. My Harley riding next door neighbor was out side shoveling snow, so I decided to show off by picking my feet up off the ground to put them on my pegs. The crown of the road made my rear tire slip out and I was on my ass before I knew what hit me.
black%20eye.gif

Redfish,

Kudos.

Well done. Ride on.

Seems to me, some time ago, we had another rider.. can't recall his name.. but he picked up Tyler's old 2 wheel ride and rode it home. Then hit a diesel slurry, 2-up, iirc, and freaked/fretted out until he understood what happened. Congrats on finding the root cause. Good for you it wansn't truly a Red Foreman DAM (dumb-ass-mistake).

..and good on yah for riding to the doc's office and to work. I get it. I understand it. I appreciate it. You, my friend, are addicted. Welcome to the klub.

CBA Approved!

..or, were you just practicing to be this guy?

I felt a big brick in my stomach when I was reading that. Rode mine out of the dealer ship with zero miles on it and that was my biggest fear the first couple months. You'll shake this off and I'm sure the ODO will show 100,000 in no time at all.

Gosh, Redfish! Sorry I'm late to the game, but I just now saw this thread. I am shocked and saddened to hear the news of your wreck in the first 22 miles of ownership. Hope you heal up soon and the repairs go well. I had broken ribs back in 07 and one of the more painful things I can recall was a sneeze at home after that. I remember my wife and daughter laughing at me, too, once they knew I was ok.

I kind of wish you hadn't solved the mystery about the ice / frost / fluids cause. You know how the guys need something to theorize / argue about on cold days.

Anyway, I hope you get over the turn confidence issue pretty soon. I gave up riding for several years after my KZ1000 slipped out from under me turning into a Wal-Mart entrance. I had other wrecks where I was a "real" dumbass but in that one slip I just couldn't determine what I did wrong. I'm pretty sure it was some fluid on the road, but I was never sure. I didn't hurt my bike any and I only had a minor ankle sprain. But that accident is the only one that shook me since I didn't know what I did. The fun was gone for a while, so I sold the bike and didn't ride for a good while.

Sounds like you'll work through it quickly with your strong desire to ride and that "soon to be beautiful again" FJR pining for your attention. We're rooting for you.

'fish, I've been trying to come up with a humorous analogy for your get-off and finally came up with something that might, possibly, equal wrecking a bike with less than 25 miles on it....
rofl.gif
lol.gif
How about this one; you finally marry the girl of your dreams, you prior had agreed to abstinence. On the wedding night you hike up that dress and find a huge penile projectile.

There's an image fer yas
tonguesmiley.gif

Love Fridays!

Sorry about your first drop but now you never have to stress about that "first drop" on this bike again. Now fix what you want to fix, buy a set of canyon cages, and put some miles on that damn thing.

Pop and I were just discussing the embarrassment/humiliation/stupidity of wrecking a brand new bike like some sort of novice. He was telling me to quit beating myself up and to move on. I told him that was exactly the advice of The Forum and I was doing my best.

rofl.gif
lol.gif
Isn't the real question whom your bride got it from?

rofl.gif
lol.gif
How about this one; you finally marry the girl of your dreams, you prior had agreed to abstinence. On the wedding night you hike up that dress and find a huge penile projectile.

There's an image fer yas
tonguesmiley.gif

Love Fridays!
So it's STD's or Tranny's.
smile.png

You can't say the FJRForum nation doesn't love you RedFish!

You can't say the FJRForum nation doesn't love you RedFish!
No, I can't say that. And I have to say that I love them back.

I have a small update. I called Pop yesterday morning. I am being forced to take off weekends until the company doctor gives me a full release. I told Pop that I really wanted to ride my new bike but that I was limited by my pain. He told me that we could ride like Old People or like Harley People and he had just the perfect route. I headed over there.

Pop put about 40 miles on the '15 while I rode his '07, then we swapped back. I did about 170ish miles total, my left ribcage was killing me when I got home. The '15 is sitting at 281 miles now which is pretty sad on one hand but fantastic on the other.

I love this bike. The suspension difference between the '07 and the '15 ES is astonishing. The extra rear ride height even with the preload as low as it can go is wonderful. Pop was very impressed. We are pleased with the Yamaha refinements.

Personal opinion: The '07 is the best looking of the FJRs. That color and the few mods we have made to Pop's bike make it a wonderful package. I cannot imagine my Liquid Graphite ever having that level of beauty.

Last... There was a package waiting for me when I got home. It was a gift from a forum member. I will not reveal his name, he can if he wants to do so. I was touched by the generosity of a person I have never met, overwhelmed by the act of kindness from a fellow forum member. I know for a fact this is not his first act of kindness to a forum member, I hope to find a way to repay his kindness one day. That old campaign slogan "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" could be modified to fit this forum.

Andrew, I read this whole thread and am both bummed at the event and impressed at your 'getting back on'! Glad you weren't hurt more.

Also it is good to hear of the generosity of forum member(s) here.
thumbsup.gif