Wrecked the '15 already

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stinky bait always catchest the most fish.

So I hear...

notthebait-001.jpg

Damage to the bike aside, what impressed me most from Sunday's jaunt is that R/H is back in the saddle - in every sense of the term.

After we met and hugged (and drooled over) the new bike and heard the war story, with the sun leaning West, we decided to ride a bit together. I led Mikep and R/H played sweep - a good choice for a returning and understandably timid rider. MikeP rides like an MSF instructor - his lines are ALWAYS perfect and he's a great rider for anyone to follow. We took some extremely familiar roads. I was taking it fairly easy - being mindful not to push. But to be frank, I wasn't putt-putting around either. I wanted to watch my friend from the mirror and see how he looked. The view was good - his lines were familiar, throttle control looked very smooth, body position was right. He seemed pretty comfortable back there - all things considered.

After a short twisty (if that term actually applies in south Louisiana) curvy ride, we made a decision to head due West - away from R/H's home for a while. This decision added no less than 50 miles (and likely more) to R/H's ride. That told me a lot - most importantly that he WANTED to ride. The sun was getting low, he is recovering from a recent off - it would have been super simple for him to shake hands, turn East, and call it a day. But he was comfortable enough to continue.

I was very pleased to see this. I'm not proud of it, but I've fallen before and I can tell you undoubtedly - getting back on that horse when you are still hurting MENTALLY is a ENORMOUS challenge. Your mind plays stupid tricks on you and you feel like you are riding on ice. Restoring the confidence in yourself and your tires takes big balls and R/H did wonderfully. I think going back to the scene of the crime and force your brain to see what you did wrong, and how to correct is the important step 1. Step 2 is seat time - plain and simple.

This whole thing is fixing itself quite nicely. We've got to deal with a little plastic and metal, and then it will be smooth sailing riding ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez you guys are mean. RH has a broken rib, and you keep trying to make him laugh. Stoppit!
tonguesmiley.gif
I'd say based on the quality of the jokes, we're all being very considerate - the risk is a mild chuckle, at worst.
winksmiley02.gif
CA G-man and silver spirit, here is a photograph that will make Redfish Hunter laugh out loud! Ai!

BeemerdonsVilla2_zps52cd1f41.jpg

RH, you are gonna love that shield! The stock was really better on my 14, but the little added height and that tint really looks and feels good.

I rode it into work tonight and experimented with the shield height some. It works pretty well. Of course, the stock setup on the Gen3 is far better than what the Gen2 had. I was reluctant to go with the dark tint as I ride in the rain and the dark quite often but I thought that against the Liquid Graphite this shield would really look great. And it does.

For anyone who wants to know the difference between the stock shield and the Cee Bailey Sport:

Sometimes you're the windshield,

sometimes you're the bug.

Glad to see you're the windshield these days, and its covered with bugs.

Nice looking shield RfH. I've been a Cee Bailey's fan since my GEN I days, they've always just "worked".

Great start, let the farking continue!

--G

That shield is nice. I'm gonna get the same one your dad has one of these days. That's the nicest shield I've ever seen on a FJR and it looks like it works too.

RFH... shouldn't you start a new thread about your farkling adventures? The title on this one doesn't seem to apply. ;)

The new CB shield doesn't look to be much different in size than the stocker. I like the stock shield's size fine for summer time use, but needed something bigger for the cooler weather and touring. Got the 3rd gen AHAMAY touring, which is taller than stock by several inches, but no wider. I'll probably be looking at something else later on. I did like the Cee Bailey I had on the '05 which was a +4" but I ran it on the Rifle tuning blocks which knocks the angle back, so it may not have been much taller than stock, just at a better angle at max height.

Yeah maybe a new thread but, RF, do you plan on keeping that one on during the winter months?

Looks a little chilly for these days, but love the sporty look! :)