Y.C.C.S....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided I wanted an Advanced Edition after test riding a 2010 FJR and not liking the clutch effort, it was even higher than the ST1300 I had ridden 200 miles that same day.

I liked the AE even better when I found a dealer selling them for well below the list price of an ordinary FJR. :yahoo:

I'm sure Mama Yama didn't enjoy that discount as much as I did.

After ~11,000 miles on my AE I like everything about YCCS except for low speed parking maneuvers. While you can't stall the AE, its still a challenge for me to do really tight low speed turns on it. So I mostly avoid them.

I think the YCCS system is just not something that was popular enough to justify its existence in the U.S. market.

What I really want is a 'clutch' by wire system, similar to the throttle-by-wire many new bikes have. Using a simplified YCCS to operate the clutch based on input from an A/D converter connected by a wire to a clutch lever operated by low effort spring. The rider shifts with his foot

That would sell I think.
Jim-

I understand what you mean about slow move maneuvers. I may be telling you something you already know, but the throttle + rear brake = MUCH improvement in that area. It takes some practice, but you can steadily roll at almost a dead crawl doing this.

What I really want is a 'clutch' by wire system
I've got one of those on my SV-650... it's got this wire going from the clutch to the lever, and the lever pulls on it...

Oh wait... never mind. I'll get my coat.

Seriously though, those are bikes I would never buy. If I wanted a ton of useless electronic shit, I'd buy a BMW, a scooter, or a car. For example, I wouldn't buy a VFR or a Connie because of the stupid variable valve crap.

I have over 85k on AE bikes and have never had any kind of problem. They stopped making them for the simple reason they did not sell well. I purchased a new in the create 08 AE last May for $10,500. It had been sitting in the create for over 3 years. I now own 2 AE bikes because I cannot use my left foot to shift because of an accident over 4 years ago and as soon as I knew they stopped making them I purchased the second one because with the foot issues my options are limited. I though the new Honda VFR with their version of an auto clutch might be able to replace the FJR AE but after I was able to see one and sit on it I knew there was not way it could so I bought the second AE. The AE is a great bike but if you can use both hands and feet what's the purpose of the AE? Also they are not as fast as the A bike and they cost more. The FJR still remains a very good and fun bike to ride but it is in great need of a real update it is being left behind. Wake up Yamaha!!!!!!!

I have let a select few friends go on a test ride and all come back in love with the hand shift. Glad these things last so long since I don't want to go back to a manual!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Also they are not as fast as the A bike".

I don't think that's really true in the real world. The transmission and clutch are exactly the same as in the regular FJR. The only difference that could affect performance is the extra five pounds of road hugging weight. And that's compensated by the fact that shifts occur much faster than any mere human could manage.

There is a reason formula 1 cars have similar computer controlled clutch systems.

I suspect that Yamaha wanted to test the durability and reliability of the system, and that it will work its way into race bikes and eventually to high performance sport bikes. The FJR was a convenient platform for this purpose, high torque, horsepower, and weight would tax the system more than, say, a cruiser.

Just turned 14,000 on my 08 AE. Took a little time to get used to slow speed maneuvers but now I wish all my bikes had it. I sometimes have trouble going from the FJR to my Roadstar and remembering to pull in the clutch. Can get interesting to say the least. But, I have arthritis in my hands and having the AE lets me ride as long as I want. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Ed

You have to remember Yamaha really does hang it out there. They did the GTS-1000, and showed the Morpho, and a bunch of other wacky stuff. So props for at least giving it a try.

So big question for Forum Oracles: how many bikes out there have adjustable bars 'n' seats? Are there any at all? I can't think of any, but I'm sure there's got to be at least one, so I'm askin'.

Note: It isn't discontinued, but Yamaha in North America isn't importing them . . . there are a bunch in dealer's showrooms (more likely in the warehouse out back) and if you were really desperate for one you could import one from Australia or Europe . . .

Note: It isn't discontinued, but Yamaha in North America isn't importing them . . . there are a bunch in dealer's showrooms (more likely in the warehouse out back) and if you were really desperate for one you could import one from Australia or Europe . . .
In the UK no longer advertised for 2011 but still listed as available. If that makes sense. Presumably 2010 left-overs.

You're basing this conclusion on what special knowledge?

You have to remember Yamaha really does hang it out there. They did the GTS-1000, and showed the Morpho, and a bunch of other wacky stuff. So props for at least giving it a try.

So big question for Forum Oracles: how many bikes out there have adjustable bars 'n' seats? Are there any at all? I can't think of any, but I'm sure there's got to be at least one, so I'm askin'.
BMW have several models K and R with both adjustable bars and seats, and you can eaven get electricaly adjusted aftermarked bars for som BMW. Laverda had 4 way adjusatble bars in the early 80. I also think Moto Guzzi Stelvio and Norge has adjusable bars and seats. Honda ST1300 adjustable seat not shure about the bars.

I don't have the AE, but I've discovered something amazing. I began my experiment about 2 months ago when I noticed that my 05 FJR shifts (up) really smoothly without the clutch... in any gear. I've been practicing my no-clutch shifts for the last 2000 miles or so. As of lately, once underway, I never use the clutch anymore. I'm not recommending that anyone else do this, but it sure works well for me. At first, I began experimenting with the tranny, shifting at different RPM's in different gears with and without the clutch. I discovered that shifting with the clutch at certain RPM's occasionally produced a pretty good clunk, especially from 1st to 2nd. However, shifting without the clutch, doesn't. As a matter of fact, for me anyway, my upshifts have been smooth as glass lately. It's been fun getting my coordination accurate enough to be able to snick the Feej up to the next gear consistently, without any clunks from either the tranny or the rear end. It has been a challenge, but I'm reaching the point where it's shifting really smoothly without the clutch.

I say all this to point out the the tranny on my Feejer is a marvelous piece of equipment. I know that neither my 78 Suzuki GS 1000 (chain drive) or my 91 Suzuki GSX1100G (shaftie) would do this very well from 1st to 2nd, though the upper gears did OK without the clutch as long as I kept the RPMs well away from the redzone. It seems to me that the FJR however, shifts (up) like a dream in any gear and at any RPM without using the clutch. Check out this website clicky about clutchless upshifts.

Gary

darksider #44

Just noticed this question:

Well, there's the fact that the announcement they made stated it (can't find a copy online, mind you) and the fact that they sell a 2011-labelled FJR1300AS in Europe (it's black).

Just Google 2011 FJR1300AS

Well, there's the fact that the announcement they made stated it (can't find a copy online, mind you) and the fact that they sell a 2011-labelled FJR1300AS in Europe (it's black).

When you google that you get a page about the A, no mention of the AS/AE. If you can find that announcement you refer to, I'd appreciate it. I see no evidence anywhere that any new auto-clutch models are being produced. It appears that the only "new" auto-clutch bikes available are the result of Yamaha selling off the existing inventories.

When you google that you get a page about the A, no mention of the AS/AE. If you can find that announcement you refer to, I'd appreciate it. I see no evidence anywhere that any new auto-clutch models are being produced. It appears that the only "new" auto-clutch bikes available are the result of Yamaha selling off the existing inventories.
Actually I thought the AS is not too hard to find via Google.

Here is the page on Yamaha Europe website:

Yamaha Europe Latest AS page

And here is the specific "proof" of the 2011 AS model, the download page for the owners manual:

2011 AS Owners Manual

At lest that shows that Yamaha Europe is still handling the AS as having a 2011 model year.

And here is the specific "proof" of the 2011 AS model, the download page for the owners manual:

2011 AS Owners Manual

At lest that shows that Yamaha Europe is still handling the AS as having a 2011 model year.

Thanks for that. The question is not whether they're still SELLING AS models as new (which could be just left-over inventory), the question is whether they're still PRODUCING new AS models, which I would take as good news. They may just be selling sufficient numbers in Europe to justify continued production.

Thanks for that. The question is not whether they're still SELLING AS models as new (which could be just left-over inventory), the question is whether they're still PRODUCING new AS models, which I would take as good news. They may just be selling sufficient numbers in Europe to justify continued production.
I know, but even the 2011 AS manual does not have a model year WRITTEN on it anywhere, the only 2011 anywhere is always in the browser window description. So I have no idea how you would get definitive proof one way or another through the websites, except I think the fact just pointed out by charismatic that last years smokey grey changed to silver tech and midnight black is a good indicator that they are still cranking some out.

2011 AS Owners Manual

How can they possibly take a 2010 product and rebrand it as 2011? I would think if someone bought a 2011 branded product, then did the math on their VIN, that would lawsuit time.