Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skooter - can you confirm that this bike will be on the 2015 Yamaha Demo Ride tour?

Yes!

I was hoping it would have been available on the Demo Truck the last two events I worked this month in California but it wasn't. Both dealerships in SoCal had just gotten brand new FJ-09s just in and had them on the floor. It should be on the trucks when things start back up again February.

I think I'll be hitting the bike show in Toronto on the New Years long weekend. Gonna go straddle me some FJ09. Test ride will have to wait till spring.

Picked my FJ-09 up yesterday. Took this picture at the dealers with a 14 FJR side bag on the already provided mounting bracket, which BTY is provided with hooks at both ends for bunggie cording stuff down. Had to use a towel to get the bag to hang near correct.

RedFJ-09_zps9813f5bf.jpg

Took my first ride today. 40 miles or so. It was cold and I haven't put on the electric connection for my clothing or heated grips. As it is the dealers don't have the accessories anyway, so they couldn't install the grips, saddle bag foot brackets or a touring windshield. I had asked them to order that stuff because someone would want it, like me, but the parts guys are not in to speculatiion. Oh well, it is winter and I have plenty of time to do so. I hear the heated grips are a plug and play items?

Ride report: Easier to get out of the garage and turn around in the driveway++. A little higher seat than the FJR.- Seating position for me at 5-8 is a little more upright than on the FJR or the FZ-09.+++. Throttle control is as good as the 14 FJR ES I rode the day Skooter G came to town++++. In other words, better then the FZ-09 I have, even with the Flash Tune re-flash (140mph+). I don't need to go over 125, so who cares about maximums over that.+ The std. windshield does a fair job, not great, wind noise but no buffeting.++ Like the FJR, FZ, no problem getting to 110 to merge into traffic on an interstate. If you do that kind of thing. Last year I put 19,000 on the FJR and 5,500 on the FZ-09. I am hoping this platform will get to 50/50 between the FJR and the FJ. I might even try to ride this to Kanab for the SWFOG event. I am liking it. Here is a link to Don Canet's write up in Cycle World a couple days ago.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/17/2015-yamaha-fj-09-sport-touring-motorcycle-review-first-ride-photos-specifications/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, looks nice! And those FJR red bags would be a great addition to the bike--are you planning that (is it possible?)?

Charging system output is 415 watts.

I wonder what the wattage of the LED headlights might be? If they're equivalent to the FJR's 55/60 watt units their wattage would be 12 watts or so. That would be a power savings over the FJR of 85 to 90 watts.

415 + 85 = 500 watts

A higher charger system output than the Gen I FJR.

Congrats blufjr on the new ride, the FJR bags look like a good combo rather than the FJ09 black bags.

Over on ADVrider, a posting was made regarding cruise control and according to this person he states Yamaha is already looking into it? For those interested in the FJ-09 and to have factory cruise, may be worth a call to Yamaha.

Originally Posted by bmac
For all those folks that wish Yamaha offered cruise control on this bike, please give Yamaha a call.

Yamaha USA can be reached at: Customer Relations (800) 962-7926

I gave them a call today and even though the call took about 10 minutes they were very responsive and told me they are already looking at. A few more phone calls and I suspect this could happen pretty quickly.

Yamaha has done a very good job of listening to their customers. The two major complaints about the FZ-09, namely soft suspension and snatchy throttle, were addressed on this version. I also have a Super Tenere and for the 2014 model they made about a dozen changes that were requested buy owners. They do listen, they just need to hear from you.

Please call and help make this happen!

I love this bike, looks and all. I look forward to the reviews from owners like BluFJR and the aftermarket accessories that are sure to come. There is already aftermarket windscreens, and when the cruise control and suspension mods come, I may have a hard look.

While the color matched bags are aesthetically pleasing, it seems a tad bit contrary to the design of the bike to strap a big wide butt onto such a slender and nimble ST. Yeah it would be much more convenient on a longer tour, function first and all that, but for daily or short weekend rides the thinner bags are more in keeping with the rest of the bike IMO.

Either way, this is a very interesting bike.

While the color matched bags are aesthetically pleasing, it seems a tad bit contrary to the design of the bike to strap a big wide butt onto such a slender and nimble ST. Yeah it would be much more convenient on a longer tour, function first and all that, but for daily or short weekend rides the thinner bags are more in keeping with the rest of the bike IMO.Either way, this is a very interesting bike.
That's why I like commuting with only my top box, then put the side cases on for touring. I'd run the FJ09 the same way, but haven't seen any mounts for a top case.