Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've drank the Super Ten Kool-aid as well. I got a Raven Beauty from D & H. Can't say enough good things about the pricing, service and general kindness of Jerald and Renaa. Below is a picture of me picking up the bike.

d446bf32.jpg

Then Rode 380 miles in up to 110 degree heat to Central Arkansas. It rained for the first 120 miles or so and somewhere in Mississippi Ole Sol beamed in with a Royal Roaster. Memphis was a mofo. Little Rock was almost 10 degrees hotter than Memphis. Went out to some logging roads in the Ouachita Mountains near my boyhood home in Perryville, AR.
f277fc76.jpg

f369c201.jpg

93904b36.jpg

Originally, I intended to keep my 05 FJR and haven't totally changed my mind yet. The FJR is certainly more powerful. No doubt about that. But it certainly can't be lugged like the Super Ten. The Super Ten is so much lighter and much more versatile. The better half has ridden both and she is much more comfortable on the Super Ten, though I have a Russell Daylong seat (driver and passenger) on the FJR. The Ergos on the Super Ten are perfect for my 6'3", 230 lb frame. I like a firm ride and the suspension is the best setup for me, that I've ever had on a stock bike, FJR included. After playing up and down some logging road washboard and washed out low water bridges in the forest, it feels like a much lighter bike. The only time you really notice the weight is when stopped and trying to muscle it around. It's still lighter than the FJR however. IMHO YMMV, Peace out, James

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice.

Just wait till you can spin up the revs on some twisty roads. Kinda like a Ducati, at higher RPMs is where the engine comes alive!

I'm making a new windshield this weekend, so will be interesting to see how that changes things.

Had a chance to take a local shop's S10 for a short ride last night, bike only had 70 miles on it, and was in Touring mode (wish I could have recalled how to switch to the Sport mode to see the difference).

Bike ran out nice, smooth, slick shifting, didn't feel heavy and being only 5'6" I could comfortably touch the ground with the balls of both feet (Seat in low position). Impressed with the smoothness of the driveline, no shaft-drive quirks.

Just posted a 2600 mile report in the other Super Tenere test ride thread. The trick to this bike is that it LIKES to be tached up in Sport mode, not babied!

12fd493b.jpg

Anybody remember this place from EOM?

f58376ee.jpg

Gravel and loose surfaces are a lot more fun than on the FJR and less drama than on a GS or our Wee. I had a goat jump in front of me on a ruted nasty gravel road rougher than what's in the next shot and hit the front brake too hard. The ABS worked great.

92f3d9c4.jpg

I spent the weekend bringing home and breaking in the new steed. I am very happy so far with the ST. It is fantastic on the pavement, very smooth. We did about 60 miles on gravel and two track forest roads riding two up with a few shallow water crossings with no real drama. Now she is ready for her first oil change and a bath.

It will never replace my FJR (nothing really can) but complements it perfectly.

I would also like to mention that Jerold and Renaa and the rest of the folks at D&H were a real pleasure to meet and work with, made me feel at home.

This bikes' got attitude.

P8280536.jpg

The long road home.

P8270488.jpg

The list of possible camp sites just got a whole lot longer.

P8260478.jpg

Back in the Ozarks.

P8280529.jpg

P8270518.jpg

Just posted a 2600 mile report in the other Super Tenere test ride thread. The trick to this bike is that it LIKES to be tached up in Sport mode, not babied!

12fd493b.jpg

Anybody remember this place from EOM?

f58376ee.jpg

Gravel and loose surfaces are a lot more fun than on the FJR and less drama than on a GS or our Wee. I had a goat jump in front of me on a ruted nasty gravel road rougher than what's in the next shot and hit the front brake too hard. The ABS worked great.

92f3d9c4.jpg
I remember those places for sure... I wish I was only a few hours away... Awesome place to ride... ! Great pictures !

Its been over 100 for like 50+ days.. Today was 108* F... So not that great to spend the day out on the bike.. Ive been really busy with work aswell but I have done a few things to the bike that I can share a picture with ya..

Fork seal protectors..

parts12.jpg

Added my Akrapovic exhaust to the bike.. This picture was taken before the rear peg and head guard was put back on..

parts6.jpg

Working on some new parts, painted the grill silver..

parts7.jpg

Got some AR crash bars put on the beast..

photo4.jpg

Had to make my racks for the bags.. you can see the exhaust, and extra tie down mounts I added for the rear bag for trips.

Sideofbag3.jpg

And the way she pretty much is now...

Bike4.jpg

We are going on a Big Bend trip Nov 10-14... Everyone is welcome... Details are on our new web site.... RIDE ON ADV check it out !

Bike4.jpg

We are going on a Big Bend trip Nov 10-14... Everyone is welcome... Details are on our new web site.... RIDE ON ADV check it out !
Looking great No One and nice job on the bags. Have you tried lowering the rear of the seat? It's worth the $1.98 mod (https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1465.0).

I also found it easy to replace the windscreen, using what had originally been made for a Burgman 400 that was $30 delivered. Just use a sheet of paper to trace the bottom contour and the holes from the stock screen. My height is 7" taller than stock and a lot wider.

a150ae05.jpg

I also found it easy to replace the windscreen, using what had originally been made for a Burgman 400 that was $30 delivered. Just use a sheet of paper to trace the bottom contour and the holes from the stock screen. My height is 7" taller than stock and a lot wider.

a150ae05.jpg
Checks', care to enlighten us (me) with more info on that screen? I'm interested. A link would be great. :clapping:

Thanks

Bike4.jpg

Looking great No One and nice job on the bags. Have you tried lowering the rear of the seat? It's worth the $1.98 mod (https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1465.0).

a150ae05.jpg
Thanks a lot !! I like the red on your rims... fill us in on that...... Also I did the Air screw and the new CO settings here... WOW, what a difference.. New owners might want to look into this... BIG DIFFERENCE ! Air screw and CO settings

Picked it up Saturday, got home on Monday, and got it dirty today! Who cares that it hit 111* coming home...I just want a shorter screen...

DSCF0072.JPG

Checks', care to enlighten us (me) with more info on that screen? I'm interested. A link would be great. :clapping:

Thanks
Here are the windshield details:

DIY Windshield clicky

The red rims took maybe 20 minutes and about $4 for a roll of 1/4" pinstripe tape from Pep Boys. The idea came form one of the Dutch guys who posted a photo and I liked how it spread out the red to balance the little splash on the front fairing. Put the bike on the center stand, press it on as you turn the wheel, and after the first couple of days it's been stuck on pretty well. The tape's not been bothered by a couple of washings now or miles of gravel so far. Just make sure to lap the end of the tape so the rotation of the wheel doesn't peel it off.

31M5RLTrnwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks
Here are the windshield details:

DIY Windshield clicky

The red rims took maybe 20 minutes and about $4 for a roll of 1/4" pinstripe tape from Pep Boys. The idea came form one of the Dutch guys who posted a photo and I liked how it spread out the red to balance the little splash on the front fairing. Put the bike on the center stand, press it on as you turn the wheel, and after the first couple of days it's been stuck on pretty well. The tape's not been bothered by a couple of washings now or miles of gravel so far. Just make sure to lap the end of the tape so the rotation of the wheel doesn't peel it off.

31M5RLTrnwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Cool, I dig it... Did you ever do the CO and AS Mod?

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I want to throw my thoughts out there after 2k miles on the Tenere.

I'm really starting to enjoy the bike. I parked the FJR for the past few weeks and getting back on it after a couple thousand on the dual-sport makes the FJR feel almost "sportbike" small. I'm talking "tight". Also, the thing I notice the most now on the FJR is how busy it is at freeway speeds compared to the Tenere. The ST is right around 3700 RPM at 70 while my FJR is something like 4300 (1stgen - '04).

Since I am actually looking for dirt roads now, possible ride routes have been revealed that I wouldn't have thought twice about. I've only found myself in one situation where I had second-guessed my decision. We have some public forest roads that are pretty desolate as you get in five miles or so - you never know what you might run into back there! :unsure:

Two "longish" day trips (200 - 300 miles) got me about 51MPG while commuting gets about 47. Of course, premium fuel cancels out any cost benefit versus riding the FJR (at about 40MPG).

Also, the trip/mileage/traction mode computers are interesting to play around with.

Anyway, really starting to like it but I am keeping the FJR for the long run, as long as the spousal unit says I can keep both.

ely_ride_fall_2011.jpg

Here are a few new ones of mine... This is the skid plate I built myself... Kinda World Crosser inspired....

SkidPlate65.jpg

SkidPlate100.jpg

SkidPlate74.jpg