Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys are riding there bikes and they keep heading to the dealers... Everyone is really happy !!!! If you like reading a lot about the new Super Tenere you can find a lot of info at www.yamahasupertenere.com
I would not say everyone is really happy...at least not with the delivery schedule and the notifications. Maybe my memory is bad but I remember that the bikes were supposed to be delivered to the customers in the order that the deposits were made. As it turned out, the bikes were built, shipped to the US, and then shipped to warehouses all over the country without any notifications. Once given the go-ahead, some warehouses shipped bikes to the dealers very quickly, for other warehouses it was business as usual. The end result was that some buyers who ordered in March were riding their S10s before my dealer received notification that my bike had even been shipped (I made my deposit on September 2). Its only made a difference of a week in the long run but I am never going to participate in a Yamaha PDP again, their customer relations and lack of any timely feedback to the customers is a total turnoff (spare me the details about the earthquake damage, Yamaha had already pushed back the promised May delivery dates before that even happened).

I hope it is a great bike, so far there have been a lot of very positive comments, I just can't comment on mine because I have not seen it yet...maybe if I had made a deposit on September 1 I would have been riding it last weekend but I kind of doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys are riding there bikes and they keep heading to the dealers... Everyone is really happy !!!! If you like reading a lot about the new Super Tenere you can find a lot of info at www.yamahasupertenere.com
I would not say everyone is really happy...at least not with the delivery schedule and the notifications. Maybe my memory is bad but I remember that the bikes were supposed to be delivered to the customers in the order that the deposits were made. As it turned out, the bikes were built, shipped to the US, and then shipped to warehouses all over the country without any notifications. Once given the go-ahead, some warehouses shipped bikes to the dealers very quickly, for other warehouses it was business as usual. The end result was that some buyers who ordered in March were riding their S10s before my dealer received notification that my bike had even been shipped (I made my deposit on September 2). Its only made a difference of a week in the long run but I am never going to participate in a Yamaha PDP again, their customer relations and lack of any timely feedback to the customers is a total turnoff (spare me the details about the earthquake damage, Yamaha had already pushed back the promised May delivery dates before that even happened).

I hope it is a great bike, so far there have been a lot of very positive comments, I just can't comment on mine because I have not seen it yet...maybe if I had made a deposit on September 1 I would have been riding it last weekend but I kind of doubt it.
https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1395.510 MCRIDER007: Just because I pulled my Super Tenere PDP in order to buy a 2012 BMW K1600GT doesn't mean I'm not still super interested in this machine. I do believe it's going to be a great bike, and with my habit of throwing money at more motorcycles, I expect to have one in my stable by 2013. But you're right, Yamaha has really screwed the pooch on the delivery schedule and their lack of notifications. Piss Poor Performance by Yamaha Corporation!

https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1395.510 MCRIDER007: Just because I pulled my Super Tenere PDP in order to buy a 2012 BMW K1600GT doesn't mean I'm not still super interested in this machine. I do believe it's going to be a great bike, and with my habit of throwing money at more motorcycles, I expect to have one in my stable by 2013. But you're right, Yamaha has really screwed the pooch on the delivery schedule and their lack of notifications. Piss Poor Performance by Yamaha Corporation!
Yes, this whole delivery schedule, from the 7 month PDP window, has been a clusterfuck. Everyone's situation and riding schedule is different, but those of us who live in the northern half of the US really need to have a new bike in the garage in March or April to get it prepared for the summer riding season. A June or later "maybe" delivery pretty much blows any chance of being able to take that long dream vacation that year. Once Yamaha blew the promised May delivery, I was pretty sure that the S10 was not going to be a part of my 2011 riding season and once that happened, the November delivery actually made more sense for me, at least with a November delivery I would have a bike that was ready to go for 2012 and would have a full warranty for the entire 2012 riding season.

With everything that has gone wrong, I wasn't even counting on a August 31 delivery, and getting it a month early doesn't have any real benefits. Now I am going to have a naked bike with no accessories and its too late to schedule anything with my friends, they have either already used their vacation time or have other commitments. I will be ready to go for 2012 but my warranty is going to expire the first week of August, right in the middle of my riding season. I least I have had other bikes to ride this summer, a lot of S10 buyers sold their only bike in the spring and have had nothing to ride until now...I hope they can still salvage something out of their 2011 riding season.

I am going to pick up my S10 this week, ride it 600 miles, do the first service, and then I am going to..........see if I still have a use for it this year and decide what accessories to buy for next year's trips.

RANT OVER......Its time to find out how good the S10 really is.

Well, I started this post 1-16-2010....... I just picked up my new Tenere today 8-3-2011.......... after almost 20 months I have the beast!!! WOW, what a motorcycle.... I'm very happy and its just a bad ass bike !!!!

To all the new owners!! ENJOY the new scooter,,,, ITS AWESOME ! ! ! ! ! THANK YOU YAMAHA JAPAN ! ! ! !

After only 5 months...TA DAA:

422ec011.jpg

I ordered it on the day of the Japanese earthquake, got home, and saw the news.

The wallet's been open, parts have been waiting in the garage, so let the farkling begin!

Checks,

Thanks for sharing sharing the picture of your SuperTenere...looks Great. What an amazing story.

Many Happy Miles & Smiles to you.

Hey Guys,

After owning the bike for 4-5 days now, last night was the real first time I was able to ride it. Up until last night I put on about 16 miles :( Work has been really crazy... So last night I left about 10;30 PM and headed out... Road on back roads with the speed limit varies from 50-60. I started off in the (T) mode and took it easy trying to keep the revz below 4K for at least the first few hundred. I'm not a die-hard break it in the "XYZ" method. But I also dont red line it the first 1K either. The bike is flat out AWESOME. I'm not talking about looks or just being excited to finally have it. I'm talking all the specifics, the power, handling, suspension, bar position, Etc.. I'm very happy with Yamaha for what they have done with this machine. I know by reading here and many other forums about the weight and dont want to beat a dead horse, but once again, this bike feels like its 375 Lbs... Of course this is all my opinion but being in the bike business I get to ride just about every bike made, so I have a little knowledge of the feel of other bikes. :)

I road for about an hour in a general direction and turned around. When I did I switched to the (S) mode and changed the traction control... WOW..WOW...WOW.... everything I just said about how much I liked this bike has now hit a WHOLE different level... WOWOWOOWOWOW this thing is a BAD-MOMBA-JOMBA....... I'm not even talking about romping on it.. I'm riding like a normal person with a new engine. This thing is AWESOME... I CANT wait to break it in and then be able to hammer the throttle a lot more.. Just incredible... For the people that have not ridden the bike, the power is smooth, the TQ is a monster, and the difference between (T) & (S) is simply amazing. Of course im kidding because I have no proof, but IMOP a large part of the cost of this new-ma-chine is in the engine / engine control / traction control (through the engine ECM) / sophisticated brakes... I think this is where Yamaha spent the time and money. Ive read, that prior to Yamaha revealing they will introduce a new Super Tenere to the world they had this model in development for more than four years... If this is true I can see where all the engineering and time went.. This machine is just simply awesome..

As I road last night I ended up going about 100 miles. I kept thinking to myself cant wait to take it off road. Then as I blipped the throttle and experienced the power and fun as Ive described above I though, "this thing off road is going to be REDIQULUOSE".. this is a monster in sheep's wool off road... I cant wait to try this monster off road, holy cow.. The one specific thing that comes to mind is the way the power comes on with 100+ HP and going through sand, rocks, mud, water.... WOW, cant wait.......

Looking to go out today and meet a group of Tenere's for lunch.. Also have a few farkels im going to install next week. And if any of you have ever seen my FJR ya know I have built a few parts for it.. LOL I have a whole list of parts we are working on for the new TENERE. I'm in several meetings a week working on new stuff for the new Tenere.... If you are a new owner touch base with me, we have a new web site about to launch with all new ADV gear / parts / Etc... we already have a ton of ADV stickers for fun....... Gotta run, post pictures shortly!! THANK YOU YAMAHA JAPAN !!!!!!!!!

After only 5 months...TA DAA:

422ec011.jpg

I ordered it on the day of the Japanese earthquake, got home, and saw the news.

The wallet's been open, parts have been waiting in the garage, so let the farkling begin!
Picking mine up at D&H Saturday wait almost over
Congratulations Everybody, truly a great looking machine!

I road for about an hour in a general direction and turned around. When I did I switched to the (S) mode and changed the traction control... WOW..WOW...WOW.... everything I just said about how much I liked this bike has now hit a WHOLE different level... WOWOWOOWOWOW this thing is a BAD-MOMBA-JOMBA....... I'm not even talking about romping on it.. I'm riding like a normal person with a new engine. This thing is AWESOME... I CANT wait to break it in and then be able to hammer the throttle a lot more.. Just incredible... For the people that have not ridden the bike, the power is smooth, the TQ is a monster, and the difference between (T) & (S) is simply amazing. Of course im kidding because I have no proof, but IMOP a large part of the cost of this new-ma-chine is in the engine / engine control / traction control (through the engine ECM) / sophisticated brakes... I think this is where Yamaha spent the time and money. Ive read, that prior to Yamaha revealing they will introduce a new Super Tenere to the world they had this model in development for more than four years... If this is true I can see where all the engineering and time went.. This machine is just simply awesome..
After reading comments like this on the S10 forum, I am wondering if my S10 is a lemon because after the 50 mile ride home I thought buying the S10 was one of the biggest mistakes I had ever made. The engine was not smooth anywhere, the suspension was very harsh on both ends, and the overall ride sucked. The power was adequate for an off road bike but its pretty slow compared to an FJR. I rode 300 miles the next day and was sore everywhere, especially my hands. That ride included about 40 miles of gravel roads and there was nothing remarkable about that experience, except that the Tourance EXP tires aren't very good on gravel, why did Yamaha put 95/5 tires on this bike? I was able to confirm that the traction control works very well, no tire spin, it just launches forward. I also could not see any reason to (want to) turn the ABS off, it stops great even on steep downhills that are covered with slippery pea gravel.

Now, after 700 miles, the engine is finally starting to smooth out with a nice sweet spot at 3000 rpms (good for 55 mph in 6th), and the suspension (which is on full soft) is starting to give a better ride, especially the front end. I found out that the shock has a 750 pound spring so its made for packing a load, there isn't much give for a solo rider without luggage. The power output is a lot like a 650 V-Strom, good acceleration in the first 4 gears, but when you shift into 5th at about 90 mph (100 indicated is 93 actual), the party is over. I rode the S10 back to back with my DL1000 last night and the S10 seemed to be a much more refined bike, obviously with a lot more bells and whistles. The ride quality was about the same but the DL1000 has a smoother, faster reving engine (9500 redline vs 7750) and still seems like a real bargain cost wise, especially when you consider the cost of a used one.

I am hoping that the S10's engine and suspension continues to smooth out so my aging body can ride it 300-400 miles day without pain killers but I don't think the S10 will ever be the mile eater or as good of an all purpose bike as the FJR.

Picked mine up today from D&H put about 100 miles on it before I ran into rain & decided to load it up(still 250 miles from home and wife following with trailer). I thought mine was pretty smooth for a twin & deceptively fast even with only brief stents past 4000rpm. Tried T & S mode liked response of S mode much better didn't mess with traction control yet since no off road or even gravel was involved but as I get a little farther into break in I'll be trying that out also. More riding Sunday.

A friend in Ypsilanti (the town without enough normal vowels) just picked hers up a couple of days ago. So far she's really happy with it. She said it's started smoothing out pretty well and the suspension is getting less harsh in the first 500 miles. If a dirt bike had the power delivery of the FJR it could be a hand full in loose stuff.

s10_delivery.jpg

-{After reading comments like this on the S10 forum, I am wondering if my S10 is a lemon because after the 50 mile ride home I thought buying the S10 was one of the biggest mistakes I had ever made. The engine was not smooth anywhere, the suspension was very harsh on both ends, and the overall ride sucked. The power was adequate for an off road bike but its pretty slow compared to an FJR. I rode 300 miles the next day and was sore everywhere, especially my hands. That ride included about 40 miles of gravel roads and there was nothing remarkable about that experience, except that the Tourance EXP tires aren't very good on gravel, why did Yamaha put 95/5 tires on this bike? I was able to confirm that the traction control works very well, no tire spin, it just launches forward. I also could not see any reason to (want to) turn the ABS off, it stops great even on steep downhills that are covered with slippery pea gravel.

Now, after 700 miles, the engine is finally starting to smooth out with a nice sweet spot at 3000 rpms (good for 55 mph in 6th), and the suspension (which is on full soft) is starting to give a better ride, especially the front end. I found out that the shock has a 750 pound spring so its made for packing a load, there isn't much give for a solo rider without luggage. The power output is a lot like a 650 V-Strom, good acceleration in the first 4 gears, but when you shift into 5th at about 90 mph (100 indicated is 93 actual), the party is over. I rode the S10 back to back with my DL1000 last night and the S10 seemed to be a much more refined bike, obviously with a lot more bells and whistles. The ride quality was about the same but the DL1000 has a smoother, faster reving engine (9500 redline vs 7750) and still seems like a real bargain cost wise, especially when you consider the cost of a used one.

I am hoping that the S10's engine and suspension continues to smooth out so my aging body can ride it 300-400 miles day without pain killers but I don't think the S10 will ever be the mile eater or as good of an all purpose bike as the FJR.}-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sure its NOT an FJR... but as you said the Super Tenere is not an FJR........ an FJR CANT do what a Super Tenere can do... Just depends on what the user would like to do,,, and then how they feel riding the correct bike for the task the rider in joys.... Right tool, for the right job...

The motor will get better for ya when it gets a bit more loose.... :)

I now have 870 miles on my S10 and the bike I rode home last night is a vast improvement over what I rode out of the dealership, and most of that improvement has happened in the last 300 miles. The motor and suspension still is not what I thought it would be but its getting close and I think I am going to be pleased with the final result. I've bought a lot of new bikes over the years and I can't remember any of them taking more than 100 miles to get "loose" but my S10 is certainly the exception...and may also be an exception for the S10s since everyone else seems to be delighted after their first ride.

I now have 870 miles on my S10 and the bike I rode home last night is a vast improvement over what I rode out of the dealership, and most of that improvement has happened in the last 300 miles. The motor and suspension still is not what I thought it would be but its getting close and I think I am going to be pleased with the final result. I've bought a lot of new bikes over the years and I can't remember any of them taking more than 100 miles to get "loose" but my S10 is certainly the exception...and may also be an exception for the S10s since everyone else seems to be delighted after their first ride.

It only takes that long because the motor is machined to MECHANICAL PERFECTION!! LOL :) I agree, Ive owned lots of bikes and dont remember a motor break in like this.. But getting better everyday................ (For me)... forget the 'new bike excitement'... this bike is just awesome !

For sure its NOT an FJR... but as you said the Super Tenere is not an FJR........ an FJR CANT do what a Super Tenere can do... Just depends on what the user would like to do,,, and then how they feel riding the correct bike for the task the rider in joys.... Right tool, for the right job...
When do we get to see some pictures of this machine doing it's job? :huh: You guys with the bikes, not marketing material. You know, the kind of pictures that make me so insanely jealous I want to kick your dog or flatten your tires because it just isn't fair for one person to have soooo much fun. :dribble:

I can hear it already, 'I would show you but you might...'.

Picked mine up Friday. This weekend, I got the Solstice LED's and the large Admore bar installed. Moved the seat to the low position helped for me. Looking forward to getting through the break-in period. Spent some good time familiarizing myself with the bike (dealer didn't even know where the toolkit was located :unsure: ).

Gonna' be a tough decision choosing which bike to ride each morning. :clapping:

tenere_01_small.jpg

When do we get to see some pictures of this machine doing it's job? :huh: You guys with the bikes, not marketing material. You know, the kind of pictures that make me so insanely jealous I want to kick your dog or flatten your tires because it just isn't fair for one person to have soooo much fun. :dribble:

I can hear it already, 'I would show you but you might...'.
+1, Gunny; I'm with Brad, let's see some S10 dirt work!!!

Come on rushes, show us some dirt riding "Q-Tip" style!