Yamaha will be offering a heated grip kit for 2006 FJR1300AV in the next 4-6 weeks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noticed you have a magnetic tank bag...do you have anything on your tank to protect the paint? Like 3m Protectrite?

It`s a rippoff alright but there is a simple (and maybe smarter ) alternative: Heated Gloves ! Are you reading this mama Yama ? :assassin:
Nothing wrong with gloves per say, however for folks like me that are digit challenged it moves my fingers a bit further from the grip and didn't like the sense of "feel". But if they work, they work.

i just got the kit today. It says you have to use an adhesive (honda bond) when you put the grips back on the bike (the yamaha manual recommends threebond 1530) does any silicon based adhesive do? tired of special ordering stuff LOL

thanks,

Rich

i just got the kit today. It says you have to use an adhesive (honda bond) when you put the grips back on the bike (the yamaha manual recommends threebond 1530) does any silicon based adhesive do? tired of special ordering stuff LOL
I only used hairspray, & have not had any slippage. I prefer this method in case I need to remove the grip for any reason. If you use adhesive you are not likely to get the grip off in one piece.

If you can ...Please post the complete instructions for the 06 install. I am looking into Yamaha heated grips.

Hey Sdrake,
I posted this about a month ago (another thread on this forum) in response to heated grips for the 06FJR:

Have read this thread with great interest since the beginning. I too felt Yamaha was ripping us off charging those prices for the factory heated grips. In fact I'm sure the less expensive grips are identical to the factory grips. Yamaha buys those parts from another source & then gives them a Yamaha part number.

Since I also wanted heated grips (I ride all year long) & I wasn't happy with the Yamaha price or the way the Yamaha Control unit sticks out so high from the dash panel, I came up with a different approach. My friend John has an 04 Honda ST1300 with heated grips. Have ridden his bike in winter & those grips get HOT. After inspecting his bike's grips (he & I share a garage) I discovered the grips on his bike are identical to the Yamaha factory grips. The control unit is different, & I like it better. So I order the Honda part # 08T50-MCS-100 after searching on the web & found it for $160, & then installed it myself. Here are some pics:
Anyone else install this yet? I orded it from University Motors today. Price is right, let's just hope i can get it installed correctly :) The picture for the power connection is not too clear. Did you have to make any special adaptors to attach it to the terminals under the right handle bar?

Incidentally in case anyone else was wondering the yamaha unit is on backorder for now with no ETA. Price at University Motors a wopping $368.00 plus shipping (retail $450).

Last edited by a moderator:
Power connection is the hardest part of the install. I did not want to use the front brake switch and do not have a barrier strip so I installed a 12V auto relay using the starter relay to trip the heater relay. Power to the heater controller does not come on until the engine is running.

-----------------------------------------------------

Anyone else install this yet? I orded it from University Motors today. Price is right, let's just hope i can get it installed correctly The picture for the power connection is not too clear. Did you have to make any special adaptors to attach it to the terminals under the right handle bar?

Incidentally in case anyone else was wondering the yamaha unit is on backorder for now with no ETA. Price at University Motors a wopping $368.00 plus shipping (retail $450).

----------------------------------------------------------

I also bought the ST1300 kit from Umotors in Fargo. They offered a discount for us FJRforum.com members! Very nice price at $158.

What I worried about most was the fit of the Honda grips to the Yamaha parts (right and left). I had a bear of a time trying to get the BigBikeParts.com grips to go on the FJR parts...in fact I was unable to get them on and returned them for credit (after reading about how not-hot they get). The ST1300 grips fit a bit loose (better than tight) so the grip install was easy.

I've not decided where to tap into swiitched 12V yet. I'm considering tapping into feed to the 12V accessory jack in the left front pocket. The alternate is to tap into the horn supply line. Both require removal of front fairing panels. Any other suggestions?

By the way, when ordering the ST1300 kit for an FJR, the Honda wiring harness ($13 extra) is useful when wiring up an FJR because it allows more options for where to tap in to the FJR. Without this extra harness, you can use the lead lengths in the standard ST1300 kit to tap into either the cigarette lighter jack or the horn. I've not done this yet but both are close enough to reach.

Who else has connected this kit on an FJR and where did you tap into switched-12V?

Steve

Warmachine - Any chance we can get a closeup of your connection to the two termainls under the right hand grip? Is this the same place the heated grips on the AE are hooked up?

Warmachine - Any chance we can get a closeup of your connection to the two termainls under the right hand grip? Is this the same place the heated grips on the AE are hooked up?
Yes War Machine, I also have same problem with power source. Could you mind give us a detailed photo of the power connection point?

Thanks million in advance.

Jim

noticed you have a magnetic tank bag...do you have anything on your tank to protect the paint? Like 3m Protectrite?
My 06' came with heated grips, how long has this been an option?
Well then, how about opening that puppy up and taking some pictures of the entire wiring layout for the heated grips?

:clapping:

-----------------------------

thanks,

Rich

-----------------------------

Hi Rich,

I am in the process of installing my ST1300 kit and asked myself the same question about having to by HOnda brand "glue"...after all...I don't bother to buy Honda motor oil, right? OK, mostly we hear of people using Aquanet or shaving cream to get the rubber grips to slide on, then the alcohol evaporates and the grips stick. My Honda heated grips were a vairly loose fit on my Yama bars so I knew that harispray was not gonna' do the trick. I thought...hey, silicone rubber adhesive or RTV will work fine. It sticks to anything and it is a good gap filler. Well up here in the northeast it's been 30 to 50 degrees and 3 days later my grips still slide easily. I pulled them off and found that the RTV was mostly cured but not adhered well to the bars, though quite well to my new grips. Perhaps in summer it would have cured and stuck well but it did not. Now....I have to find a way to get that nasty RTV out of my grips because, paradoxically, nothing sticks to RTV! Even epoxies don't stick well to RTV. I'm using an electic drill and a ho'made abrasive wheel to get rid of most of it. I've already ordered the HOnda adhesive (it was only $2.99 for a tube) and will re-apply the grips with the good stuff.

My recommendation is to avoid the RTV and use hairspray (if grips fit tightly) or spring for the $3 tube of the recommended adhesive (if grips are loose like mine).

20/20 hindsight.

Steve

War Machine any picture updates?
Thanks in advance.

Jim
Sorry Guys I've been real busy (like who hasn't been) this Holiday season. I will attempt to post a few more pics by the end of this weekend (My daughter has my digital camera) & I will attempt to answer some of your questions the best I can.

Rich

I pulled power thru my Blue Sea fuse block located under the seat. But I may change it if/when the factory harness power supply for the grips is located. They work great now so I'm in no big hurry. But if someone posts the info here I'll probably set the time aside to change it.