Yamaha will be offering a heated grip kit for 2006 FJR1300AV in the next 4-6 weeks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE(2006FJR @ Jan 1 2007, 02:48 AM) My 06' came with heated grips, how long has this been an option?

They're standard on the AE - they had to throw in more than just the autoshift for all that extra money!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried installing the honda controller the other night but i took too much meat off of that cover,hence i had to order a new one LOL...oh well, it's 12 bucks from the local dealer, should be here in about a week. I'm considering ordering that wiring harness to get the extra option for hooking up power. I put in a relay kit the other day with a terminal block on the left side..pretty tight under that fairing but managed to find a space for it.

I cut the hole using the method that is described in the Honda instructions. It worked great.

But on the install I didn't like the way the O-ring held the module slightly up above the surface, so...

I put it in without the O-ring and instead filled around the underside perimeter of the module with black RTV silicone sealant. It looks really good!

And I went riding today and Wow! what was the warmth oozing from the grips? it's fabulous!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut the hole using the method that is described in the Honda instructions. It worked great.
But on the install I didn't like the way the O-ring held the module slightly up above the surface, so...

I put it in without the O-ring and instead filled around the underside perimeter of the module with black RTV silicone sealant. It looks really good!

And I went riding today and Wow! what was the warmth oozing from the grips? it's fabulous!!!!
what 0-ring? i have 2 plastic tabs on both sides of the module that are designed to clip on to the underside...problem is the cover is too thick, so those tabs don't get underneath to secure the module.

not sure yet, though I installeld a terminal block that i'm sure i could use on the front fairing.

Q.

what 0-ring? i have 2 plastic tabs on both sides of the module that are designed to clip on to the underside...problem is the cover is too thick, so those tabs don't get underneath to secure the module.
A. 1. The Honda grips kit comes with an O-ring to fit under the lip of the controller. Discard it.
A. 2. If you take a utility knife and slightly shave the underside lip of the cut-out area at the middle of the two sides, the plastic tabs will snap on and the RTV silicone will keep it secure and water-tight.

Q.

Where is everyone connecting the power to?
A. I connected to my Blue Sea fuse box I mounted under the seat. But there are other various ways to do it. There are several thread discussions that cover this topic very well.

-----------------------------------------------------Anyone else install this yet? I orded it from University Motors today. Price is right, let's just hope i can get it installed correctly The picture for the power connection is not too clear. Did you have to make any special adaptors to attach it to the terminals under the right handle bar?

Incidentally in case anyone else was wondering the yamaha unit is on backorder for now with no ETA. Price at University Motors a wopping $368.00 plus shipping (retail $450).

----------------------------------------------------------

I also bought the ST1300 kit from Umotors in Fargo. They offered a discount for us FJRforum.com members! Very nice price at $158.

What I worried about most was the fit of the Honda grips to the Yamaha parts (right and left). I had a bear of a time trying to get the BigBikeParts.com grips to go on the FJR parts...in fact I was unable to get them on and returned them for credit (after reading about how not-hot they get). The ST1300 grips fit a bit loose (better than tight) so the grip install was easy.

I've not decided where to tap into swiitched 12V yet. I'm considering tapping into feed to the 12V accessory jack in the left front pocket. The alternate is to tap into the horn supply line. Both require removal of front fairing panels. Any other suggestions?

By the way, when ordering the ST1300 kit for an FJR, the Honda wiring harness ($13 extra) is useful when wiring up an FJR because it allows more options for where to tap in to the FJR. Without this extra harness, you can use the lead lengths in the standard ST1300 kit to tap into either the cigarette lighter jack or the horn. I've not done this yet but both are close enough to reach.

Who else has connected this kit on an FJR and where did you tap into switched-12V?

Steve

Hey Steve,

Have you got a number for UMotors in Fargo?

Very nice price indeed for the ST1300 heated grip kit.

Thanks,

Hey Steve,

Have you got a number for UMotors in Fargo?

Very nice price indeed for the ST1300 heated grip kit.

Thanks,

Contact Gary McCoy at 701-235-6478.

I ordered givi rack and v46 case + service manual. good service

Can anyone tell me which wire is positive lead on Honda Grip Kit. I installed handgrips on both sides and connected all the wires except the Honda power plug. So which one is positive lead? One of them has a 5A fuse connected to it. WarMachine or anyone else help please.

i put in the heated grip kit from honda last week. Took it out on the road and seems to work fine. The only thing is when i start the bike up, you can't turn on the grips right away...it waits a minute or so, then comes on...is this the low battery feature? if it senses a low battery condition the unit shuts itself off.

just curious, other than that, they cook my hands!

Rich

I think that is correct. I have them on mine as well. And they do have a memory feature that will turn them on to the same setting they were on when you turned the bike off.

BTW, been riding at temps 34 to 40 deg and have only had them on the #2 setting out of 4! On a long ride I may turn it up to 3.

My heated grip controller didn't work last weekend and was wondering what was up with it. THis is the Honda kit that i installed on my 2006 FJR. Found out that it was a bad ground wire in the kit and bypassed it with my own ground wire. So at least it works now and should have no problems with it. I thought the controller was shot for sure but thank goodness i was wrong.

Has anyone NOT used a PDB with the Honda kit that Warmachine posted? My PDB is mounted under my pillion seat and I don't want to pull more wires. How is everyone doing the electrical? I'd really like to use the existing wiring for the Yamaha kit. (has anyone done this?) If anyone has used the existing wiring for the Yamaha kit can you explain. Pictures are always helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Devin

Warmachine - The pic pointing to the connectors under the handlebar for electrical has me a bit confused. Any more details you can share?

Has anyone NOT used a PDB with the Honda kit that Warmachine posted? My PDB is mounted under my pillion seat and I don't want to pull more wires. How is everyone doing the electrical? I'd really like to use the existing wiring for the Yamaha kit. (has anyone done this?) If anyone has used the existing wiring for the Yamaha kit can you explain. Pictures are always helpful.
Thanks in advance.

-Devin

Warmachine - The pic pointing to the connectors under the handlebar for electrical has me a bit confused. Any more details you can share?
I didn't use a power distribution block. The positive lead was connected directly to the yamaha connector right under the heated grip control and it was grounded to the frame.

I'm probably not being specific enough. I guess I really have two questions:

1. -I assume the blue connector is what is used for power for the heated grips, so has everyone connected the white connector (from the Honda kit) to the blue connector???? The two connectors don't fit and there isn't much wire to solder in some bullet connectors....

The white connector (from the Honda kit)

470661965_4cb35c126e_o.jpg

The blue connector (stock connector on the 2006 fjr1300a):

470642864_ce29d3a820_o.jpg

2. In War Machines post he showed a picture of a connector underneath the right grip. What is being used with the connector War Machine specifically pointed out??

War Machine's pic:

Terminalsforheatedgripson06FJR.jpg