Yellowing Exhaust Pipes and Cans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Fred, I'm just swapping the cans. I damaged my left muffler, and after seeing the cost of a new one, and the difference between mine and other gen's (cosmetically, round vs. elongated holes) I decided to just get aftermarket cans. I looked on eBay, but they're older and have some damage too, for the most part.

The new ones will arrive today, so will put up on centerstand, and put 'em on. I understand that I'll need to be careful with the gaskets. Hopefully, it'll be easy going for me, though not the norm. ;(

Thanks Fred, I'm just swapping the cans. I damaged my left muffler, and after seeing the cost of a new one, and the difference between mine and other gen's (cosmetically, round vs. elongated holes) I decided to just get aftermarket cans. I looked on eBay, but they're older and have some damage too, for the most part.
The new ones will arrive today, so will put up on centerstand, and put 'em on. I understand that I'll need to be careful with the gaskets. Hopefully, it'll be easy going for me, though not the norm. ;(
You may need new gaskets, and to ease installation fit @ half of 'em on the new cans first, then remove them and, using a little non-corrosive lube, (I use ACF-50 for this), smear a bit of the lube on the inside of the header, and a bit more on the outer part of the gasket. Push the gasket @ half-way into the header, then gently slide the can in place. The use of the non-corrosive lube will make it easier to slide on, and allow you to take them off later when you need to service the suspension linkage.

Don't use any gasket cement.

My pipes were so bad when I got my FJR, I started a thread called "Pipes are blue and so am I." They were blue and purple leading up to the cans, and the cans were gold. I didn't know how to post pics at the time, so my pics didn't appear until later on in the thread after I cleaned them up. Here's a pic of the bike back then:[img=[URL="https://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/garyahouse/IMG_4291.jpg%5D"]https://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/garyahouse/IMG_4291.jpg][/URL] Here's the link to the original post: CLICKYI tried the Barkeepers friend as recommended. Wow. What a difference. It got all the gold off the cans and helped a lot with the pipes. Unfortunately, they turned purple and blue again in no time, but at least I found a product that worked pretty well. Funny, now that I've had the bike for awhile, I don't really care. I have such a blast riding it, it's all I can do to park it long enough to do a little basic maintenance once in a while.Let us know what you decided to do.Garydarksider #44
Did you paint the oil filter " gold" too? Maybe it's coming off on the pipes.

I've had two 07 FJR's and now a 2014ES. Never have I had a problem with pipes or cans turning yellow or blue. In my opinion it is because I cleaned my bike after each ride. After all road trips I carefully polished the pipes and cans with regular auto type wax. I never needed any harsh cleaners other than occasional tar remover. Unless you have something going on with excessive heat, you should not have a discoloration issue provided you keep the pipes and cans polished frequently.

I use 'Never Dull' about once a year, usually during the winter when I don't ride a lot. I kind of like the contrast between the all black '09 and the short section of faint blue/purple fading into light gold pipes.

Latest posts