Yet another HID experiment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya that's where I'm kinda screwed. I have my AVCC servo and vacuum reservior located under the seat and there isn't a whole lot room around there anyways as I have a corbin seat which sits a bit lower and behind it is a corbin smuggler bin. I'm just wondering if there would be a way to get it into the area behind the engine just above the swing arm area?
I thought I read about a post where someone put the ballasts below the head light enclosures but maybe these ballasts are too big for that area?
They are just a tad too big to fit under the head light enclosure on the Gen II bikes unless you're willing to cut the chin fairing as it wraps under that area. Such a modification would be invisible under normal conditions and would provide excellent cooling for the ballasts:

cowling_2.GIF

Well I installed mine yesterday.

With the '05 mounting the ballasts was not a problem with one ballast and the hi\low control unit mounting between the headlights and the other ballast on the shelf above the left lamp. (Photo's soon)

I have the 4300K units and they are very white.

Test road them last night and very happy with the result.

I can now see about three times farther down the road and I have cancelled any thoughts for fitting aux lights

I don't even need to upgrade the alternator having saved 40W so this is a very cost effective farkle.

Chris

I'm finally getting around to trying the H4 Bi-Xenon kits that I've used to great success in the past on my '06 FJR.
These are the type that use a single HID capsule to be both the low and high beam by physically re-positioning it within the headlight housing using a servo.

Unlike the butterfly type, these have actually worked very well for me in the past because the "hot spot" of the HID is placed exactly where the H4 filaments are in the housing. I've used these in offroad and street applications and the servos have been bulletproof.

I'll post pics as things develop (good or bad).

Hello,

Is there a reason you choose the 6 instead of the 43 k?

is the ignitor on the end of the bulb?

and i guess i missed it but do you have the exact part number for the ebay purchase so i get the correct one depending on which on i choose? thanks MIke

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,Is there a reason you choose the 6 instead of the 43 k?

is the ignitor on the end of the bulb?

and i guess i missed it but do you have the exact part number for the ebay purchase so i get the correct one depending on which on i choose? thanks MIke
The 6k has a slight blueish tint to it. Some people are all into looks so they want that bling-bling blue on their ride yo. :greedy:

4.3k will get you the whitest light possible, and should light things up better than the other color choices. I don't think you'll loose alot of usable light running a 6k bulb, but you may get a little more unwanted attention from the cops. These are 'for off road and show purposes only" after all....

Ack....and I have some good shots from Techwest weekend comparing various HID types and colors with halogens. Will try and post up pics tonight.

6K is definitely blingier blue. I think there are some less lumens to be sure, but not a bunch. I think mostly after you've viewed a 4.3K source for a while...if you switch suddenly to a 6K source...it takes a while for your eyes to adjust.

Be careful when ordering "telescopic" H4 Bixenon HIDs. There's at least one dickwad on eBay selling the kind of light that the servo moves the metal shield telescopically, not the light source. That's definitely not what you want.

Now there is another kind of H4 with a servo. The light source "tilts". I wonder if THAT puts the light source into an even better position... since on a halogen bulb the filaments are actually slightly offset?

I took a chance and went with 6k this time (all my previous HID conversions have been 4.3k) because I value the day time impact the lights make on cars coming at me as much as the added night vision. In practice, there is VERY little difference in the color or lumens output between 4.3k and 6k.

I hope this question hasn't been covered before, but is there any problem replacing my low-beam only HID with just the new light bulbs? I'm willing & able to make other wiring mods to suit, as necessary.

dobias :glare:

I hope this question hasn't been covered before, but is there any problem replacing my low-beam only HID with just the new light bulbs? I'm willing & able to make other wiring mods to suit, as necessary.dobias :glare:

You mean reusing your ballasts? You can do that. You'll probably need to add another black box or something to have it switch between the high and low beam.

I hope this question hasn't been covered before, but is there any problem replacing my low-beam only HID with just the new light bulbs? I'm willing & able to make other wiring mods to suit, as necessary.dobias :glare:

You mean reusing your ballasts? You can do that. You'll probably need to add another black box or something to have it switch between the high and low beam.
Might be harder than you think

Said black box comes with the kit, it plugs into a bike bulb conector so when you trip the high beam switch it then triggers both solenoids.

It's very slick and very fast since the capsule stays lit.

For $170 shipped I would buy the kit and then try to ebay your low beams or retro your old kit into some aux lights.

Chris

Time to take one for the team.... :assassin:

For $156 shipped (from Hong Kong) I'm going to get the 4300K hi/lo H4s that TILT.

Since no one commented yet on whether they work or not, I figured I'd give them a try. I just hope that when the bulb tilts the light source to position that it actually moves it forward or back a smidge... to mimick the position of the halogen filament.

Still hope they do a FUEGO group buy. I want aux lights too, but probably won't need them. Even if my "Tilters" don't work like the "Telescopers", they will still be way better than stock.

Time to take one for the team.... :assassin:
For $156 shipped (from Hong Kong) I'm going to get the 4300K hi/lo H4s that TILT.

Since no one commented yet on whether they work or not, I figured I'd give them a try. I just hope that when the bulb tilts the light source to position that it actually moves it forward or back a smidge... to mimick the position of the halogen filament.

Still hope they do a FUEGO group buy. I want aux lights too, but probably won't need them. Even if my "Tilters" don't work like the "Telescopers", they will still be way better than stock.
Can't wait to see how these work for you!

BTW, mine came DHL from HKG and only took a few days. I wonder if yours will have the same "creative" customs declaration mine did :rolleyes:

When looking at the bulb assemblies the actual glass portion seem to rattle a little bit. It seems as though they were in the extended position and when I pushed them back in the holder they tightened up a bit. Will the solenoid kep them from rattleing when extended? All of this was I was looking at them in the box.

And, I have very little instructions (actually none) as to how to wire these up, while the connectors are pretty straight forward I'm wondering if anybody could scan and email what they have?

@ Lake Powell

i hope you remember to wipe those globes down with some alcohol after touching them.

and before powering them up......

the small ammount of oil on our fingers will cause the bulb to fail premeturely..

jason

PS....

im watching this thread with great interest.

i wanna know whats the definitave answer to H4 Hi-Lo HID on the FJR.....

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Lake Powell
i hope you remember to wipe those globes down with some alcohol after touching them.

the small ammount of oil on our fingers will cause the bulb to fail premeturely..

jason

PS....

Thanks for the heads up Turbo!

I am aware of the problems with oils from your hand on the bulb glass enclosure and while my write up definately gives the impression I was using bare hands, I was very careful and used some hemostats and never touched the glass portion itself.

Thanks for the info but I'm still wondering if I should go to the effort of this install when the bulbs rattle even before they are installed?

@ Lake Powell

jason

PS....

Thanks for the heads up Turbo!

I am aware of the problems with oils from your hand on the bulb glass enclosure and while my write up definately gives the impression I was using bare hands, I was very careful and used some hemostats and never touched the glass portion itself.

Thanks for the info but I'm still wondering if I should go to the effort of this install when the bulbs rattle even before they are installed?
I wondered about that too. It doesn't seem to be a problem in practice as I don't notice them jiggling when in use.

Have to say since fitting these I have zero vehicles pull out on me during my commutes (typical day would be 4 or 5).

This morning a school bus and a car (seperate incidents) started to pull out from driveway and then stop as I approached.

The lights have been adjusted and approved by the missus (test target was her Celica) so the 4300K color is very effective in getting other drivers attention.

Chris

Thanks bmwhd!!!

Well I didn't take one for the team. That's a GOOD thing! :yahoo: Although it was a major Charlie Fox getting the lights, installing them was pretty easy.

DHL screwed up three days in a row delivering the lights, then Shanghai Shipper didn't send me the correct lights. They are HID, they are 4300K, but they don't tilt. They retract and have the metal shield with the big cutout at the bottom. You know what, I'm not going to bother jumping through the hoops trying to get the tilters. We know these work, and in my garage I can already see a serious high beam improvement. As the sun is now setting you can bet I'll be out for a ride here shortly.

Originally, I had the shutter HIDs. I shutter to think what I've been missing! Well now I'm missing about 1/2 the pile of spagetti. No separate switchers, no separate igniters, no fancy extra wiring to trick the system into thinking a high beam lights and the low beam goes off.

The wiring harness on this new set from China is really easy. And since there's a whole lot less to install, it did go faster.

The solenoid on the back of my new HIDs is quite large. I was ready to cut the rubber boot because you HAVE to have those on there. Instead, I just inverted the middle part (appears threaded) and it seals up against the back of the solenoid quite nicely.

Time for a ride! :yahoo: