Zumo Woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
(Admins: I think this is bike related, feel free to move if necessary)

OK,

So the short story is this... I've had my Zumo for 14 months, in that time I'm now on my 3rd motorcycle mount.

They last about oh, 4 to 5 months before the audio goes to shit. I've tried contact cleaners, dielectric grease, all the tips and what not to no avail.

To date Garmin hasn't charged me for a cradle. They fronted me two of them, the first all the rubber rotted off of it in less than a month (known issue) before the audio crapped out. The audio crapped out shortly there after. Unit two was replaced shortly thereafter.

Unit 3 was replaced immediately before my 2 week trip out west. I had to pre-pay for the mount, but they credited me back the $85 when the received the jacked up unit.

My Zumo has been used fairly well, but it's always been taken care of. Through 2 paid map updates and what not.

On the 2nd day of our trip, my buddies XM quit... In an effort to help him, I updated his Zumo with the latest firmware. Put his radio in my cradle, he could see my XM but he could not see his. I dropped my unit into his cradle, I got a message about "updating the XM firmware" then *poof* nothing. I couldn't see his XM puck and could no longer see mine.

Luckily I had 380 tunes on my SD card so the trip wasn't totally unbearable, but the lack of XM really sucked.

During the trip, the (+) button of my Zumo came off. I was lucky to be able to find it on the pavement where we had stopped and kept it in tact with electrical tape. The buttons are only held on by the rubber that covers them. It shows rot, similar to the cover that caps the mount connections.

No biggie I thought, Garmin usually takes care of stuff like this.

Well 2 mos out of warranty, and it's a $200 repair/replace at thier discretion. Fair enough. But the XM puck is treated seperately... $125 up front repair/replace at thier discretion. I can buy a new one for roughly $150. So I'm torn on this.

I'm sending the Zumo in, and hope to hell the puck still works. I suspect it's fried though and hope that it doesn't jack up the new/repaired Zumo when I get it back.

Grr....

(Yes I'm mostly bitching and ranting... My Zumo quit on the trip after the bike sat out in a frog strangler one night, after the mount dried out it came back to life, yes I had the cover on it but have since started covering the mount with a ziplock bag at night just in case).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Zumo but it hasn't be the most reliable GPS I've ever owned.

If anyone has a way of testing the XM puck I'm all ears.

-MD

What would have been nice is if you would posted this last week before my Zumo showed up.

Now I have to ask cause I just got mine and as a man I don't do directions. What is the deal with the bluetooth and XM and stuff. Is there a earpiece that fits under your helmet or do you ride without and have speakers? If I link it to my phone why would I run it through the GPS?

A little late now, but just a reminder if you have a Signature VISA card, it will double your warranty for itmes such as these for no fee and no deductible if you purchase them with your card.

The weather cap (for the audio outputs) has come off my mount and they apparently don't stock just the rubber piece so they're sending me a whole new mount. I was having very scratchy audio from the mp3 audio and Garmin said it was a ground loop problem. I'm sure it's not since it goes away if I press on the Zumo and is not tied to engine rpm.

Over on the Zumo Forum, there are three distinct groups.

Ones who love it to death.

Ones who object to its "grade school" mentality (when compared to other Garmin units).

And the ones who suffer like you, through repeated failures of both the unit itself and/or the mounts.

I've had several "no starts" which I was able to work around but whenever I read about someone else's misfortune, I get to thinking, when will it be me? :unsure:

While it appears that Garmin has supported Zumo owners, you gotta wonder how long they will continue down this path.

OK so they made it non-tech/low tech, I can live with that but for the cost, the damn thing should at least be reliable.

IMHO that's its biggest negative.

What would have been nice is if you would posted this last week before my Zumo showed up. Now I have to ask cause I just got mine and as a man I don't do directions. What is the deal with the bluetooth and XM and stuff. Is there a earpiece that fits under your helmet or do you ride without and have speakers? If I link it to my phone why would I run it through the GPS?
I find the Zumo to be an amazing piece of technology. Where I think they missed the boat is on some of the execution. The unit isn't exactly rugged enough and I don't feel that I'm all that hard on it.

Now to your question...

I personally... have a Starcomm.

So I have the Zumo Audio/Mic running through the StarComm.

I use in-helmet speakers (StarComm) and have absolutely no trouble with audio volume with or without EarPlugs. With the Cell phone paired to the Zumo (via Bluetooth) I can make and take calls if necessary, though it's not high on my list of things to do when riding. Though it does help tremendously when looking for say a hotel in the middle of the night to locate them via the Zumo, and push one button to call and check availability.

If you have not need or desire to use the Cell phone when riding this is of little use. StarComm does make a headset that bypasses the StarComm unit and plugs directly into the Zumo... My dad and riding buddy plug earphones into the Zumo directly and one uses my old MixIt-2 to mix in his radar detector audio.

(My radar detector is plugged into the StarComm).

Hoep this answers your question.

-MD

Over on the Zumo Forum, there are three distinct groups.Ones who love it to death.

Ones who object to its "grade school" mentality (when compared to other Garmin units).

And the ones who suffer like you, through repeated failures of both the unit itself and/or the mounts.

I've had several "no starts" which I was able to work around but whenever I read about someone else's misfortune, I get to thinking, when will it be me? :unsure:

While it appears that Garmin has supported Zumo owners, you gotta wonder how long they will continue down this path.

OK so they made it non-tech/low tech, I can live with that but for the cost, the damn thing should at least be reliable.

IMHO that's its biggest negative.
I couldn't agree more.

I used to be in the 'Love It Group'... I'm currently in the Live With It Group.

For the cost it should be better. I know they've had their share of issues, and for the most part they've stepped up to the plate. I have to wonder if it's a profitable unit for them. I certainly hope there is a Zumo II. something with the newer Nuvi firmware and features that is also more rugged and reliable.

My dad's has been replaced 2x now. My buddies, has been good since day one until his XM gave up on the trip.

It's now 2 year old technology, and in the GPS market, that's a long time.

I originally had thought it odd that the GPS included pre-set destination to their headquarters. You know, in case you wanted to ride over and whoop somebody's ass. But I guess by the time your unit gets you motivated to that point, it can't direct you to the ass is question. In hindsight, this was just a preemptive slam by Garmin. Because, you know the directions used to be there.

I'm on my second Zumo - more because I wanted to and not because I had to. Mine suffered the 'drops dead and you have to remove and replace the battery' syndrome, which ONLY happened when it was cold (as in about 32 degrees).

BUT, their last update culminated in a 'no room on destination volume' error, which put the unit into a state where it forgot it had Bluetooth, so I took it over my best friend's office (he's the largest distributor for Garmin in Canada) and it was replaced with a brand new unit.

So, I suppose I'm in the first two groups (maybe all three), because I think the Zumo (and the rest of the consumer navigators) are too dumbed down for my liking. I have suffered repeated failures (though my rubber cap and the contacts in the bike mounts have yet to crap out) and as it happens, being in Canada, until I befriended the local distributor, found Garmin's tech support to be "well meaning, but thoroughly incompetent".

Feel free to read my review of the 276c on www.epinions.com and at the bottom you'll find a description about my 3 month ordeal to get a unit repaired under warranty.

And, with a brand new Nuvi 760, I can't get them to send me a code for an update to the latest maps. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I originally had thought it odd that the GPS included pre-set destination to their headquarters. You know, in case you wanted to ride over and whoop somebody's ass. But I guess by the time your unit gets you motivated to that point, it can't direct you to the ass is question. In hindsight, this was just a preemptive slam by Garmin. Because, you know the directions used to be there.
Odd... We were not far from Garmin's HQ and that thought had crossed my mind on the trip... :)

I'm on my second Zumo - more because I wanted to and not because I had to. Mine suffered the 'drops dead and you have to remove and replace the battery' syndrome, which ONLY happened when it was cold (as in about 32 degrees).
Wow! I thought only my Garmin Rino 530 (hand held GPS with GMRS radio) would lock up and require battery removal to reset it, but now I hear that the Zumo can have the same problem. I wonder if Garmin has the same guy write software for all their GPS models?

I use the Rino while hunting and it is really frustrating when I'm trying to call a buddy and he won't answer. Looking at the Rino display is no help because it's still lit up like it's working properly. Only when trying to change screens do I realize that it's not responding. It won't even shut off with the power button. Gotta pull the battery to reset it.

I have had many Garmins products starting with a GPSII I loved it then and I still like the Garmin line. Just not sure what all the extras in this 550 are and how I can use them. I guess I need to find some sort of Bluetooth device for inside my helmet.

My audio went bad on my last trip. Found that, like yours, the mount was to blame. Bad contacts. Cleaned them the best I could with a rag dampened with rubbing alcohol and the problem went away. We'll see how it works for the next long trip, which, unfortunately won't happen this year. :angry:

Now that's funny there! :clapping: I just got all mine hooked up last month - I guess I have a little something to look forward to...

Herkypilot

Wow! I thought only my Garmin Rino 530 (hand held GPS with GMRS radio) would lock up and require battery removal to reset it, but now I hear that the Zumo can have the same problem. I wonder if Garmin has the same guy write software for all their GPS models?

I use the Rino while hunting and it is really frustrating when I'm trying to call a buddy and he won't answer. Looking at the Rino display is no help because it's still lit up like it's working properly. Only when trying to change screens do I realize that it's not responding. It won't even shut off with the power button. Gotta pull the battery to reset it.
You can reset the Zumo if it's unresponsive by pressing the "+" button and simultaneously pressing the power button. The Zumo will shut down. You can then power it up normally (hopefully).

I can't hate my Zumo. It now has over 48,000 miles on it and it almost always has worked well. Rubber cap thingy was replaced once. Motorcycle base was replaced once. Currently it's off to get the screen replaced because of some spots developing on the anti-glare coating. Everybody makes a bad one. It's the way you stand behind a product that makes the most difference IMHO. Garmin support keeps them out front for me.

Maybe Garmin is d/c this model? With price reductions starting to appear, and no appreciable successor in site, perhaps this thing is costing them more than it is worth??

-BD

Maybe Garmin is d/c this model? With price reductions starting to appear, and no appreciable successor in site, perhaps this thing is costing them more than it is worth??
-BD
It makes me wonder also. I hope that there is a successor, just as yet unannounced. Surely, the existing market is at least large enough for them to want to conquer the problems with some product.

You can reset the Zumo if it's unresponsive by pressing the "+" button and simultaneously pressing the power button. The Zumo will shut down. You can then power it up normally (hopefully).
+/Power didn't fo it for mine - I had to carry an allan key to remove the battery and reinstall it. That is a royal pain!!

Maybe Garmin is d/c this model? With price reductions starting to appear, and no appreciable successor in site, perhaps this thing is costing them more than it is worth?
The industry is driven by price reductions, coupled with TomTom's growing need for money (hence market share) in the US. The fact that navigators are viewed as luxury items in an era of economic instability doesn't improve sales volumes, so price reductions are ncessary to keep product flowing.

While the only people who know for certain are the marketing guys at Garmin, there is sufficient processing power in the platform that there's no real reason for a major overhaul yet. I suppose that (like anything else) it could use more memory, but I've heard nothing about a Zumo replacement from my friend who is in a position to know what's imminent.

The one we're all watching these days is the 276c.

+/Power didn't fo it for mine - I had to carry an allan key to remove the battery and reinstall it. That is a royal pain!!
The Zumo forum is full of guys for whom neither of these "fixes" worked, including me. In fact, just like I have a spare ignition cylinder for my FJR that I've already rekeyed to fit my key, I also had a spare battery pack for the Garmin Zumo 550 so that I would have less chance of "inoperable" failure. Didn't matter. Mine had to go in.

The Zumo forum includes stories from guys for whom Garmin paid overnight shipping both ways. There are stories about guys whom Garmin sent totally new replacement units, including all accessories.

Not me. Mine was only 5 months old. I had to pay to send it to them. They returned a refurbished unit with older maps. And although in the end they did turn it around fairly quickly, for planning purposes, they assured me it would be two weeks once they received it. Of course these things always fail when your ready to go on a trip.

On the bright side, when I went to do the map upgrade to the 2009 maps recently, they did not charge me for the upgrade. I did have to spend 4 hours fooling with the process over our DSL (no cable service in this rural area). And when I was done, I checked for local restaurants, and it continued to have a bogus list peppered by restaurants that have been out of business for several years, or who moved to new locations several years ago. I'm just hoping some of the truly idiotic map routing instructions have been purged.....I'll take it up the eastern seaboard later this week and see how it does.

Garmin seems schizofrenic to me.