08 Barbarian Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '08 was all "10's". Did the mod. and moved everything to "17's", been there for two weeks now and noticed no change in performance or anything, will be going back to all 10's in the very near future.

Anyone else with an 08 willing to check the stock CO settings?
C'mon, the weather is crap, what else do you have to do?
Mine is 10, 10, 10, 10...stock

I moved them to 17 across the board...seemed to lean out the low end. I read is a previous post that he went with +5 then moved to +4. I did mine at +4. The 17 seemed to be too much. I couldn't really tell the difference in more performance.

I might do a Power Commander and get a custom map done.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's another thread on this... search is a good thing people. :rolleyes: Others have verified that the 08's, mine included, are 10's across the board. The BJM works just fine on '08 models.... you do not have to reverse the pins once you've accomplished the mod (search will give you this info too)... the bike will run fine if you've accomplished the mod correctly. And, the lean surge condition that was noticably present in my '08 has been taken care of after accomplishing the mod (although I found +4 was enough to cure the surge).

For those that seemed to have some trouble accessing the CO menu's after accomplishing the mod, I found that the instructions had to be taken quite literally... you had to hold the buttons down prior to turning on the ignition. This was the key to getting to the CO menu.

And remember that the instructions differ from the Gen I's and Gen II's.

i did the BJM on my 08 today.

i printed out the instructions (the PDF file).

i put pin #23 in hole #25 - then put the plug in #23 - then put all the plastic back together.

i booted up the DIAG function as directed (worked as advertised) - factory settings were 10, 10, 10, 10.

i set them all to 14 and took the bike for a 60 mile run (mix of city and highway) - weather being 51 degrees/ 58% humidity/alt=sea level.

even after the adjustment i still had a slight flat spot coming off idle when the bike was cold - however i think the ECM may have worked that out with this new setting (???). i say this because i never noticed it for the remainder of the ride (and that's a 1st). while the "spot" was never a deal breaker for me - it was there. i am letting the bike get cold and plan to check it later. other than that the bike ran perfectly fine - with several shopping stops the bike fired up fine each time.

*** edit - just fired it up cold. the 'off idle' flat spot is basically gone. i can intentionally find it - but i have to work at it. i think i'll leave it alone for now.

I created the .pdf file in the 06-08 Bin-O-Facts on the BJM and CO mod. I did it on my 07, so I cannot say for certain anything on later year models, though I have every reason to believe it still works.

Just to make a couple things clear:

1. The +7 adjustment to the CO settings came from prior posts about this mod on Gen I bikes. It seems to work fine on my 2007. I tried lowering it to +5 to see what would happen and did not like the results. I went back to +7. As they say, your results may vary, particularly on later model bikes.

2. It's the BJM/CO mods or the PCIII, not both! The PCIII make the changes after the ECU; the BJM/CO mods do it through the ECU. In my opinion, the PCIII does a better job. But the BJM/CO mods are a lot cheaper and work fine for me.

3. I had my ECU changed and did the BJM/CO mods afterwards. The revised ECU corrected the low sampling rate the old ECU did for altitude/air pressure. The ECU needs to know this info to set the proper fuel mixture. The old ECU sampled altitude infrequently. As a result, going up and down through mountain roads could result in rough engine performance because needed changes in air/fuel ratio were not being made often enough. I do not know if this change was incorporated in later model ECUs.

Hopes this helps.

Jon

Since the Bin-of-facts points to this thread for discussion, figured I would report here on baseline values from an '09. BM instructions for GENII worked for the 09 as well.

Default values are 0 0 0 0. Hmmm.

I estimate that more than half of new FJR owners are like I was, when starting this thread last year. Then, after a few months, I finally listened to several wiser riders, and bought a PCIII.

It makes no sense to spend $12k on a machine, then skimp on a $300 item that makes riding it more rewarding.

Go get a PCIII.

Edited: Whatta looser, I was wrong :rolleyes: it was the '06s that had the same trim values: -10, 8, 8, 11
Just checked mine before the recalls for the ignition switch, ECU and Rear Trunk Attachment Kit.

Values were -10, 8, 8, 11

The negative ten got my attention. It was good to find out that I'm normal.

09 FJR stock 0,0,0,0. Reset to 7,7,7,7. Throttle response is smooth as silk at 4,000' and above seal level, but still a little glitchey at sea level to 4,000'. Almost all of my riding is above 6,000'. I'm a happy guy.

Just did the BJM on my '08. As with others, factory set at 10 across the board. Bumped up the settings 4 each, but was not pleased with the results (4000-5000 rpm vibes and it coughed a bit rolling on the throttle from a dead stop). Bumped them up 3 more points (total of 7) and it seemed much better and was very strong all the way up to red line...though the bike was fully warmed up by this time so I'm looking forward to a cold-start trial. Also confirming there's no need to undo the BJM mod after adjusting the CO settings...it fired right up.