2007 Altitude Surging Problem - Members Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all...having a cup of Joe and bored so I'll post a short rant...the GENI bikes had two pressure sensors, as has been mentioned in my earlier post in this thread referencing and quoting Jestal's observations from another thread...one sensed MAP and one Ambient air pressure by the ECU as I recall...thay also went to a closed pressurized fuel supply rail without a presure regulator at the return end in the GENII, also discussed earlier...my Roadliner Service Manual's description and diagrams of it's FI system read exactly like those for the FJR GENII"s...the mapping is not discussed but the systems appear almost identical...which leads me to believe that Yamaha has consolidated it's FI system/parts/applications, with possible refinements to provide model-specific P/N's as engine demands and cylinder displacements change, i.e. V-twin vs. 4-cyl, etc.

So there's my take on that...just fixing the FJR may also mean widespread changes throughout the Company's FI motorcycle line, so this is serious from their standpoint and includes the potential loss of future sales based upon reportedly poor performance, driveability, and product reputation.

Here's my Kool question for the day, gulp hot coffee...in addition to the driveability and safety concerns discussed here, do the troubled bikes still meet EPA - CARB - EU emission standards when acting nasty?...as in are there bad emissions produced when they act up?...anybody put a sniffer on the bike when it's misbehaving?...nothing like getting the Green Folks in Gov't upset and involved to quickly get the problem solved...sorry Yamaha, but I had to suggest that may be the case, unless of course you can prove the engines are still nice and clean in all operating conditions...best of luck as we say.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy all...having a cup of Joe and bored so I'll post a short rant...the GENI bikes had two pressure sensors, as has been mentioned in my earlier post in this thread referencing and quoting Jestal's observations from another thread...one sensed MAP and one Ambient air pressure by the ECU as I recall...thay also went to a closed pressurized fuel supply rail without a presure regulator at the return end in the GENII, also discussed earlier...my Roadliner Service Manual's description and diagrams of it's FI system read exactly like those for the FJR GENII"s...the mapping is not discussed but the systems appear almost identical...which leads me to believe that Yamaha has consolidated it's FI system/parts/applications, with possible refinements to provide model-specific P/N's as engine demands and cylinder displacements change, i.e. V-twin vs. 4-cyl, etc.
So there's my take on that...just fixing the FJR may also mean widespread changes throughout the Company's FI motorcycle line, so this is serious from their standpoint and includes the potential loss of future sales based upon reportedly poor performance, driveability, and product reputation.

Here's my Kool question for the day, gulp hot coffee...in addition to the driveability and safety concerns discussed here, do the troubled bikes still meet EPA - CARB - EU emission standards when acting nasty?...as in are there bad emissions produced when they act up?...anybody put a sniffer on the bike when it's misbehaving?...nothing like getting the Green Folks in Gov't upset and involved to quickly get the problem solved...sorry Yamaha, but I had to suggest that may be the case, unless of course you can prove the engines are still nice and clean in all operating conditions...best of luck as we say.

Gary in Fairbanks
I believe the pressure regulator Mick was talking about was in the vacuum line. Which is weird but look at the diagrams, it connects to the vacuum hose on the pressure sensor and up to the airbox.

Agreed this looks like a major fix. Good question on the emissions. I was going to suggest we all report these issues on the NHTSA website. Someone posted earlier about the number of R1 problems there, Yamaha now has a fix out for it. Theres like 90 complaints. Coincidence? BY the way the R1 missed getting Cycleworld Master Bike award because of the FI/throttle issues.

It would be very interesting as you seem suggest whether or not Yamaha dropped sensors and so forth from all these new bikes. Hmmm. Major issues ahead perhaps. I wonder if the same clowns were responsible for the new R6 fake 17500 RPM redline fiasco. [Anyone whose has ever programmed an ECU knows there is simply no way you can not know what RPM you're turning in a computer controlled engine. Everything runs off a direct measurment of it.]

Ain't no missing sensors on that ZX14 I rode. Plus the Concours will have variable valve timing.

Hi Mick,
Very interesting that they dropped quite a few things in GenII bikes: the atmospheric sensor (doh!), one MAP pressure sensor (doh!!), and the regulator (doh!!!). I wonder if they got some redundancy or averaging using two MAP sensors that they are missing now, in addition to missing the atmospheric P. Sure would like to know why those decisions were made. Especially while trying to meet more stringent emissions with the new system. You need more sensors not less.

Good idea regarding the regulator. I wonder whether it was just for damping out P variations or something else? I would want to know that before just sticking it into the system on a Gen II bike. Did your buddy who claimed he fixed his 07 issues by replacing the P sensor replace it with a Gen I sensor or Gen II?

Thanks for the input. I am still betting on some software screw ups directly causing the problem (out of range or register overuns as you say) but your new info makes me think there's more to fixing them than just better software. The fix would problably be to reinstall the missing sensors but I bet that can't be done without a new ECU and new software. And new emissions cert (i.e.; will never happen). As I said in an earlier post, Yamaha has really messed up its FI systems on newer bikes. Wonder what is driving all that?

Al
Al,

They only deleted one sensor, the Pressure sensor up by the ECU and the pressure regulator.

The same pressure sensor P/N is used for Gen1 or GenII bikes.

Mick/

otubrab:

If I can't get the FJR straightened out, I'll probably go to R1200RT or R1200GS. Don't know yet.You've mentioned your R1200RT has handled your ridding better then the FJR. Have any issues? Power? The range?

Whatever happens, thanks for starting this thread.

I bought the FJR after getting tired of waiting for the new Kawasaki Concours. Plus I thought I'd go with something that had all the bugs worked out of it (HA!) instead of a brand new bike. Well I just saw the first ad for the Concours in the new Cycleworld that showed up today. Went to Kawasaki's website and damn if they are listing fully loaded for under 14. Under 13 w/o ABS. So check it out, should be available soon. I have ridden the ZX14, holy cow what a motor. Same thing goes into the Concours.
Anyway, Yamaha has about a month or two to fix this problem. Soon as the Concours hits showrooms I'll test ride it and who knows maybe the FJR is gone. The PCIII helps a lot but this is a $14K bike fer cryin' out loud.

Love my Roadliner but Yamaha is really screwing up FI systems on all their bikes. Major complaints about the R1's system, my Roadliner was awful (til the PCIII cleaned it up very nicely), the FJR and of course on the FZ1 which was panned totally.
BMW high price for the bike, service, parts, accessories, shortage of dealer sites, etc. Concours first year production with this bike, valve adjustments required way earlier than the FJR, and at a steep price for the adjustment, unknown problems to be worked out with the Concours, Concours motor not set up anywhere near the ZX14 as in de-tuned, quality of Concours not equal to FJR, is price difference even worth noting? Just some food for thought. The ZX-14 engine doesn't have much umph until you get up to 6 - 8 grand and really doesn't come to life until around 9 or 10 grand, FJR is a torque monster in any rpm especially where most people ride, 3-6 grand....get my drift. Hope you get it figured out for your ride and style and good luck...PM. <>< :D

It seems they've taken board member Dr.Rich's bike in for some testing about two weeks ago. He posted up on the ST-N thread about the same problem. He's due back in town soon, hopefuly he'll check in.

Quote "

Yamaha picked up the bike today and is taking it up into the mountians to duplicate the symptoms. I am going to be out of town for the next few weeks and I told them they could have the bike until I get back. Hopefully the team from Yamaha that picked it up will get it sorted out. They seem to know it is not an isolated problem. "

otubrab:
If I can't get the FJR straightened out, I'll probably go to R1200RT or R1200GS. Don't know yet.You've mentioned your R1200RT has handled your ridding better then the FJR. Have any issues? Power? The range?

I bought the FJR after getting tired of waiting for the new Kawasaki Concours. Plus I thought I'd go with something that had all the bugs worked out of it (HA!) instead of a brand new bike. Well I just saw the first ad for the Concours in the new Cycleworld that showed up today. Went to Kawasaki's website and damn if they are listing fully loaded for under 14. Under 13 w/o ABS. So check it out, should be available soon. I have ridden the ZX14, holy cow what a motor. Same thing goes into the Concours.
Anyway, Yamaha has about a month or two to fix this problem. Soon as the Concours hits showrooms I'll test ride it and who knows maybe the FJR is gone. The PCIII helps a lot but this is a $14K bike fer cryin' out loud.

Love my Roadliner but Yamaha is really screwing up FI systems on all their bikes. Major complaints about the R1's system, my Roadliner was awful (til the PCIII cleaned it up very nicely), the FJR and of course on the FZ1 which was panned totally.
BMW high price for the bike, service, parts, accessories, shortage of dealer sites, etc. Concours first year production with this bike, valve adjustments required way earlier than the FJR, and at a steep price for the adjustment, unknown problems to be worked out with the Concours, Concours motor not set up anywhere near the ZX14 as in de-tuned, quality of Concours not equal to FJR, is price difference even worth noting? Just some food for thought. The ZX-14 engine doesn't have much umph until you get up to 6 - 8 grand and really doesn't come to life until around 9 or 10 grand, FJR is a torque monster in any rpm especially where most people ride, 3-6 grand....get my drift. Hope you get it figured out for your ride and style and good luck...PM. <>< :D

Torque monster?

FJR torque 99 ft lbs @ 7000 rpm

Concours 100.3 ft-lbs @ 6200 rpm

Get my drift? Variable valve timing will spread that torque out and make it not so peaky. Killer motor in the ZX14, test ride it you'll see. I am not sure what you're used to riding if you have ridden one and think it doesn't come alive until 9 or 10 grand. The timing has to be retarded in the first 4 gears to prevent people from flipping it over or losing traction just cracking the throttle. I beleive it based on my test ride. My everyday bike is a Blackbird and a (1900 cc) Roadliner. I know what torque and HP are. I was giggling like a kid riding the zx14, it is insanely fast. And smooth.

Zero problems on the new ZX14 motor that I can see. And maybe Kawasaki knows how to retune a motor unlike Yamaha did with the R1 -> RZ1 fiasco. And I bet there won't be a surging at altitude issue either.

Don't get me wrong, I like the FJR. It's just I bought it thinking I'd get something tried and true with all the bugs worked out (instead of a new untested item like the Concours), and what do I get? This friggin' surging issue and Yamaha foot-dragging and talking about internet hysteria. Which is what this thread is about. Yamaha picked a very bad time to have a problem with the FJR, and then blame it on owners imaginations. They may be on it now but as you can tell there's some very pissed people out here. And a King Kong competitor right around the corner.

Al, They only deleted one sensor, the Pressure sensor up by the ECU and the pressure regulator.

The same pressure sensor P/N is used for Gen1 or GenII bikes.

Mick/
OK. That makes more sense. Thanks.

I just had one of those "thought of the day" moments. I realized the wife of a friend of mine works for Consumer Reports. Hmmm.
Good idea. I just filed a complaint with NHTSA. Here's the link, I suggest everyone else do the same.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I have been stewing over this for a few days. I see here that Yamaha wants us to believe they are "on the problem". Yet as little as a week ago I was told basically to f*ck off by the dealer. Official Yamaha position is I am supposed to pay $75/hr for a tech too try to duplicate the problem, this after the dealer contacting Yamaha directly about it, a problem they now say they know about, have known about, and are trying to fix? Fine. They can talk to NHTSA about it now.

otubrab:

Torque monster?

FJR torque 99 ft lbs @ 7000 rpm

Concours 100.3 ft-lbs @ 6200 rpm

Get my drift? Variable valve timing will spread that torque out and make it not so peaky. Killer motor in the ZX14, test ride it you'll see. I am not sure what you're used to riding if you have ridden one and think it doesn't come alive until 9 or 10 grand. The timing has to be retarded in the first 4 gears to prevent people from flipping it over or losing traction just cracking the throttle. I beleive it based on my test ride. My everyday bike is a Blackbird and a (1900 cc) Roadliner. I know what torque and HP are. I was giggling like a kid riding the zx14, it is insanely fast. And smooth.

Zero problems on the new ZX14 motor that I can see. And maybe Kawasaki knows how to retune a motor unlike Yamaha did with the R1 -> RZ1 fiasco. And I bet there won't be a surging at altitude issue either.

Don't get me wrong, I like the FJR. It's just I bought it thinking I'd get something tried and true with all the bugs worked out (instead of a new untested item like the Concours), and what do I get? This friggin' surging issue and Yamaha foot-dragging and talking about internet hysteria. Which is what this thread is about. Yamaha picked a very bad time to have a problem with the FJR, and then blame it on owners imaginations. They may be on it now but as you can tell there's some very pissed people out here. And a King Kong competitor right around the corner.
Medium Al, think you missed my drift. I was refering to the post from from otubrab, wasn't directed at you and was merely comparing the operating ranges the bikes do well in and the plus/minus of the other models vs the FJR. My test ride on the ZX-14 was indeed impressive as I'm sure yours was. Point being in my previous post was the FJR has more useable torque in a range that most people operate in an everyday riding environment, ie, the ZX14 is a great bike but let's be real here, most people are not riding around the streets spending the majority of their riding time in the 6,000 plus operating range where the ZX14 likes to run. If you did you would be arrested for excessive speed and wreckless driving. As you correctly mentioned, the ZX14 is detuned in the under 6000 range (4 gears) for good reason, and my reasoning being the bike just doesn't perform as well as could be where most people ride. And frankly, at 9000 plus rpm this bike does come alive, way more than around 6000. That's why it's so good on the drag strip. The rep I talked to about the Concours said not to expect the Concours engine to run anywhere near the ZX engine even though they use the same block. Hey, I'm sure the new Connie will be a good bike but the point is the FJR is a proven bike and the surging problem will and is being addressed, maybe just not to some's liking at the present. Noted here some that have the surging problem are ready to jump ship and if your patience is not ready for the fix, guess those need to jump. I've had the same offensive experience with Yamaha's dealers and frankly I don't like it either. But the problem did get ironed out. Your going to run into this same type behavior, mechanical problems etc., no matter what type car, bike, boat, etc, dealer you deal with. If you don't you are a lucky person. One thing I can tell you from my own experience with the Yamaha dealer is if you don't get satisfaction at first from him, call customer support at Yamaha and the process is way more easier. The head mechanic at my dealer told me himself that is the route to take and he was right. My problem solved by letting customer support deal with the dealer, then the dealer did the fix. Just my .02 cents worth. Al, I hope you and the others get this problem worked out and right now I see a little more patience on the parts of the owners who have the problem as the answer. Good luck to ya and if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. PM. <>< :D

Here's an update on my bike:

Finally got to take it out today to test the TBS and idle adjustment dealer #2 did (that was their "fix" for my surging).

Left home (650 ft elevation) @ 10:30, 77 degrees ambient. Took it up Angeles Crest Highway.

As I passed the 2000' elevation mark I started noticing slight surging/lag. I pulled over at about 2200' to document my findings, did not stop the engine. When I tried to take off again, I nearly lost it - flatly refused to pull, even in 1st gear. Got it going with some clutch feathering, and then pulled right back over, killed the engine & let it sit for a minute. Started back up, went on my way, everything seemed normal.

Continued to ascend, topping out at about 5900' at Mt. Wilson Observatory. I did notice some very slight surging/lag during the last 5 miles of that leg, but nothing nearly as bad as earlier. Parked the bike (engine off) for a couple of minutes, the headed back down. Rode between 6000' and 3000' (mostly descending) for about 40 minutes, had very little surging or lag. Stopped for a rest near the end of Angeles Forest Highway on the Palmdale side, shut the bike down for a minute or 2 - altitude 3400'

Went back up Angeles Forest Highway, about 12 miles later pulled in to Hidden Springs, elevation 3200'. The diner there has a gravel parking lot, so you've got to be real careful - that's when the bike decides to give me one of those little coughs (I'm trying to give it just enough gas to pull) and I end up dropping the damn thing in the gravel. Scuffed up the right mirror pretty good, and there's some minor rash on the right side of the fairing. Argh! Some guys help me get it picked up - I take a 20 minute break, as it's now about 92 degrees out.

Take off back down the hill, no further hiccups. Took it straight to the dealer (#1). I'll let them have it as long as they want/need. They said they probably won't even look at it until at least Thursday. When they say they've made repairs, I'll try again.

So far, it's been in dealer possession for 10 days and all I've gotten is a TBS and idle adjustment. We'll see what happens next. I will be filing a report with the NHTSA, and will be calling Yamaha again on Monday.

Oh man; you dropped it because of the stumbling? That SUCKS. Sorry about that. Try to get Yamaha to pay for the damage.

So far, it's been in dealer possession for 10 days and all I've gotten is a TBS and idle adjustment.
Geez; you could have done that in 1/2 hour. Plus the +7 bump in CO. Keep us posted. I'm finally heading to the mountain tomorrow and see what happens. Take care.

JC

Will everyone that is noticing surging or throttle latency please send me the last 6 of your VIN?

Disregard if you already have.

Thanks,

Doug

Well, it's official; I'm part of the severe surging club. Rats. I started a separate thread asking for help on any fix, as I can't wait for Yamaha to get off his a$$ and fix it now. Don't get me wrong: I'll raise big time hell, just like some of you are already doing, and ALL OF US SHOULD DO, but it might take months, or even years before we see anything, so need to either fix it or get rid of it. But I want to make darn sure whatever is suggested will fix the problem. Don't want to throw good money on the bad one on a PCIII, Teclusion, or whatever else, and gamble with my luck again.

Back to the subject. I have a new one folks: I had to climb a 1K' little mountain to cross the city and get on the highway, where both sides are at identical altitude. Well, after I crossed it, the damn bike didn't stop surging (make that bucking) for 40miles. Shut the motor off at the border patrol station, and the surging was almost gone, but not totally. Reduced the CO levels from 7 to 5, and it went away. Thought I was in heaven... until I started climbing the big mountain (4K' to 8.7K'). Bike was basically unridable since I started climbing. And I mean not even 200'. And kept rpms at 3, 4, even up to 6K rpms and same crap. Motor had enough power that I didn't have to stop, but as reported, I REALLY had to crank the throttle to get it moving, and it seemed like forever when the engine finally jerked back to life, and in a very dangerous way, I may add. Anyway, if somebody has the right number where to call Yamaha, and the link where to write a complain to NHSTB, I'm ready to raise all the hell I can. THis is ridiculous. Bought a bike that has been in production for 5 freaking years, and 2 in its current iteration, and I get this? Just thinking that I sold my perfecty fine BMW just for fear of something happening, and replace it with something supposedly more reliable, makes e angry. Now that I have it, I intend to keep it, but can't ride it like this. I'd lose my proverbial a$$ if I was to sell it, so I'm willing to spend on a PCIII or whatever as long as the problem is 'fixed'. And by that I mean the bike is ridable, because I agree with the guy saying none of that really fixes the problem. Take care gang.

JC

How can I be so ignorant. I have been working on this 07 problem for 6 months and thought I had it solved more times than I care to tell you about. I have replaced: 2 ECU's, 1 tps, 1 heat sensor, and just recently the air pressure sensor. That's when I contacted the TTT (Tucson Think Tank). They suggested I install a pot in series between the ECU and the APS. Their thinking was that APS was sending a voltage to the ECU that it couldn't handle.

I have always thought that chopping the throttle had more to do with this problem then altitude. I could always drive my ECU wacko by blasting down the straight and narrow,chopping the throttle and coasting to low rpm. At altitude when your using engine braking often the problem gets intense. When you are coasting with the butterflies closed you are throwing max vacum at the APS and that's when the ECU goes apeshit.

One way to modify this closed throttle vacum is with idle speed. This morning I went out, down the straight and narrow, turned to go up in altitude, and I was already in that mode. So I stopped with the engine still running made a small adjustment to idle speed and proceeded. I did this same thing a couple more times. I'm talking small adjustments here. I didn't pay any attention to the tack. I'm here to tell you I dialed out that that stumble. I went on to pull 8000 ft.- no prblem.

My idle has always been at or about 1100. But, I don't think that is good enough. You gotta get that APS talking to the the ECU in a language it can understand. I repeat, small increments.

Trivia;

Pegging the throttle momentarily will clear the ECU.(min vac)

When the ECU is in squid mode (startup) chances are that this symptom will not appear. This happens any time power is taken off the ECU. I think this is why Yamaha has had a hard time duplicating this problem. It stays in this mode for 500-800 miles.

How can I be so ignorant. I have been working on this 07 problem for 6 months and thought I had it solved more times than I care to tell you about. I have replaced: 2 ECU's, 1 tps, 1 heat sensor, and just recently the air pressure sensor. That's when I contacted the TTT (Tucson Think Tank). They suggested I install a pot in series between the ECU and the APS. Their thinking was that APS was sending a voltage to the ECU that it couldn't handle.I have always thought that chopping the throttle had more to do with this problem then altitude. I could always drive my ECU wacko by blasting down the straight and narrow,chopping the throttle and coasting to low rpm. At altitude when your using engine braking often the problem gets intense. When you are coasting with the butterflies closed you are throwing max vacum at the APS and that's when the ECU goes apeshit.

One way to modify this closed throttle vacum is with idle speed. This morning I went out, down the straight and narrow, turned to go up in altitude, and I was already in that mode. So I stopped with the engine still running made a small adjustment to idle speed and proceeded. I did this same thing a couple more times. I'm talking small adjustments here. I didn't pay any attention to the tack. I'm here to tell you I dialed out that that stumble. I went on to pull 8000 ft.- no prblem.

My idle has always been at or about 1100. But, I don't think that is good enough. You gotta get that APS talking to the the ECU in a language it can understand. I repeat, small increments.

Trivia;

Pegging the throttle momentarily will clear the ECU.(min vac)

When the ECU is in squid mode (startup) chances are that this symptom will not appear. This happens any time power is taken off the ECU. I think this is why Yamaha has had a hard time duplicating this problem. It stays in this mode for 500-800 miles.
I tried the WOT thing on a short ride on Friday as soon as it started stalling, it did seem to clear up the problem for a while. Or postpone it a few more miles. I still had to stop and shut it down soon after and restart. By the way I tested the immediate shut off for 5 seconds turn back on and that worked (complete reset apparently). I am still under break in conditions and don't want to flog it too bad, but maybe this (WOT for a bit once it beings to stall) is an interim trick to get you to a place that you can stop and shut down. Until Yamaha fixes it that is. Or until I buy a new C14.

PCIII is keeping this manageable, though not eliminating it. The thing was unridable before, I actually enjoyed this last ride (about 150 miles). But I did have to stop and start it a number of times.

Add me to the list: '07A with 750 miles. My first Yamaha after 35+ years of Kawasaki's and Ducati's - I fear I may regret the switch.

During my first trip in the mountains (Snoqualmie Pass, Washington) today, the bike began stumbling badly at around 3,000'. After pulling off the first exit, the bike was almost unridable with the hesitation/surging while trying to get up to speed. I pulled over and shut the bike off. After restarting, it seemed ok all the way back down the hill but began hesitating breifly again at sealevel - but only when accelerating from a stop.

One thing I noticed while still going 70mph when the problem began is that the "instantaneous" milage dropped from around 40mpg to around 30mpg.

The experience was so violent that I was sure a GOOGLE search would turn up something and, sure enough, here I am (new to forum). What I didn't expect to find was that, at this time, there is no apparent cure.

I was planning to take the bike back to the midwest later this month but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to go too far from home with the bike in this condition. Talk about losing all the exitment associated with a new bike. I chose the FJR over the BMW because of all the bad press it had regarding surging - they couldn't have possibly been worse than this.

I don't know what else to do other than go talk to the dealer on Tuesday (I90 Motorsports in Issaquah). Maybe they'll let me have my Kawasaki back :)

Boy, I just joined yesterday after putting a deposit down on a new 07.

Coming from a BMW that runs flawlessly.

I am starting to wonder if I should back out of the deal before I get bit.

I have wanted one of these for the last two years but am I making a mistake?

I live in Pa which has up and downs everywhere one rides, albeit not to the same degree as the west

Status
Not open for further replies.