• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2007 SUSPENSION GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now thinking about the front. Advice, please? On a 2006AE, 4500 miles, mostly LA freeway riding, would just the new springs make a significant difference?
Do the whole front end treatment. Springs alone will have a minor affect, but the whole kit-n-kaboodle will transform the bike.

I am now thinking about the front. Advice, please? On a 2006AE, 4500 miles, mostly LA freeway riding, would just the new springs make a significant difference?
Do the whole front end treatment. Springs alone will have a minor affect, but the whole kit-n-kaboodle will transform the bike.
I would do that, but I don't want to be without the bike for the time it takes to remove and replace the forks.

Forgive me if this was actually answered, but I don't think it was:

Which shock enables raising rear ride height? Since the Blackbird shim method does not work (and I'm coming off of one of those), that makes rear height only addressable by the shock itself, ja?

I will definitely place an order once this is clear.

Thanks for setting this up, WC.

Which shock enables raising rear ride height?
Yes...it was....multiple times....in the various postings including quite specifically in post #76.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which shock enables raising rear ride height?
Yes...it was....multiple times....in the various postings including quite specifically in post #76.
I took this to refer only to the Ohlins:

Ohlins Remote Preload and Ride Height: Yes on the former, no on the latter. The Ohlins does not have the Ride Height adjustment capability, but does have remote hydraulic pre-load.
Spoke to GP today and I now understand that both Penskes are adjustable for ride height and that GP will set height for you according to your parameters (weight, riding style, etc.)

Thank you.

Just was wondering now that I filled out the form to participate in the GB, does anyone know of a shop in the Dallas Fort Worth area that has experiance and a sterling reputation that can install this stuff on my FJR.

You folks on the West Coast are blessed with myriad of companies that cater to that sector...it's kind of a dry well her in Texas.

As far as taking off the forks and rear shock and sending them off...and then putting them back on, your talking to an admitted mechanically challenged individual who had to be led by the hand (thanks Warchild for all the data) just recently on how to remove a front wheel because of a bad air valve stem that let go and needed to be replaced.

Got it all back together and everything seems to be fine, will test drive it in a couple of hours?

Barring a good local shop, is there appropriate information out there with photos, to dis-assemble the front fork and rear shock and re-install on a '06 FJR 1300 A?

Maybe I can talk to the people @ GP suspensions and take a road trip out there in June when I get my vacation.

Dec 7th - Totals to date:

Fork Upgrades: 33

Penske: 13

Ohlins: 3

Wilbers rebuilds: 14

Eiback forks springs: 11

There are three days remaining on this Group Buy.

Just was wondering now that I filled out the form to participate in the GB, does anyone know of a shop in the Dallas Fort Worth area that has experiance and a sterling reputation that can install this stuff on my FJR.
You folks on the West Coast are blessed with myriad of companies that cater to that sector...it's kind of a dry well her in Texas.

As far as taking off the forks and rear shock and sending them off...and then putting them back on, your talking to an admitted mechanically challenged individual who had to be led by the hand (thanks Warchild for all the data) just recently on how to remove a front wheel because of a bad air valve stem that let go and needed to be replaced.

Got it all back together and everything seems to be fine, will test drive it in a couple of hours?

Barring a good local shop, is there appropriate information out there with photos, to dis-assemble the front fork and rear shock and re-install on a '06 FJR 1300 A?

Maybe I can talk to the people @ GP suspensions and take a road trip out there in June when I get my vacation.

If you made it through removing the wheel then you are only a few bolts and a few minutes from having the forks out. The rear isn't really any more difficult just a little different. I am sure with a little coaching you can do it and know a lot more about your bike and save a good bit of money for more farkles.

:blink: Thanks Dale (Warchild) for all the time, effort, research, information and patiently answering questions that many of the board members have posed.

Bit the bullet and signed up today and then called GP Suspensions to talk to Dave Hodges ask a few more questions so we are all clear and singing off the same sheet music.

Signed up for total front rebuild and new Penske shock in the rear.

Bike was getting near the 15,000 mile marker where so many of you have stated the rear shock is toast.

Looks like I will be taking another road trip to the West Coast like I did in June, but with the purpose of

having a great suspension set up fine tuned for yours truly.

Thanks again!!!

If I ever get a chance to meet you at an FJR gathering, I owe you a drink!

Thanks WC, already signed up for this GB, your the man - :)

Ride safe,

Thanks for the work Warchild! Just signed up...finally am able to participate in the GB! :clapping: :clapping:

Looking forward to the hugely upgraded suspension!! whoo hooo!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

THANKS again there sir. :bye: :bye:

Thanks for all you have done with this I just signed up for the full front and the rear. better late than not at all!

So much for my zero-balance credit cards. I swear to gawd, I'm going back to motor boating. It's cheaper and all the chicks wear bikinis instead of ATGATT. :blink:
No kidding TWN! :unsure:

I didn't see the bracket for the remote reservoir for the Penske shock on the list.
No, no, look closer... it's there in the last section ("New Shock Absorbers"), third line item down.
I think Ian may have meant that the bracket doesn't appear in the list of options when selecting your choices. I assume that buying the shock also buys the bracket then?

Does the remote resevoir interfere with any other farkles e.g. SkyWay hydration system or a Smitty CC install where the vacuum cannister is just in front of the swing arm?

..and so the guy who has NEVER even clicked an adjuster is going for the 8987 and full boat front end. What the hell, you only live once! :yahoo:

I think Ian may have meant that the bracket doesn't appear in the list of options when selecting your choices.
Ah, good catch.... yes, it was an omission on my part.

I assume that buying the shock also buys the bracket then?
Oh, no. The bracket is separate from the shock, and an additional cost.

But I'll tell you what, it sure is some beautiful machining...

GP-FJ1300PENSKEResMount1.JPG

I'm a complete novice at suspension upgrading. I'm on the list for the higher-end Penske (and likely a fork job too--trying to decide). For the Penske, do I need, and do I need to order, the reservoir bracket?

I'm a complete novice at suspension upgrading. I'm on the list for the higher-end Penske (and likely a fork job too--trying to decide). For the Penske, do I need, and do I need to order, the reservoir bracket?
Personally, I would. All Penske supplies is a couple of generic rubber blocks, and a couple hose clamps.

Which is fine if the reservoir is buried under the cowling and out of sight... but looks like moist ass when exposed to the public, as is the case for the FJR (no room for it to hide under the cowling). The GPSuspension bracket looks totally tits.... and provides for a clean, sanity install. B)

This is what the reservoir bracket looks like mounted. If you are going to spend the corn for the shock, might as well get the bracket. What Warchild said, its a definite must have.

IMG_0884.jpg

Bill

Personally, I would. All Penske supplies is a couple of generic rubber blocks, and a couple hose clamps.

Which is fine if the reservoir is buried under the cowling and out of sight... but looks like moist ass when exposed to the public, as is the case for the FJR (no room for it to hide under the cowling). The GPSuspension bracket looks totally tits.... and provides for a clean, sanity install. B)
OK, I want it. What do I need to do to order the bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.