2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Musings at the end of Day 4.

At nearly 96 hours in, the riders will have started setting into their pace. The early adrenaline is long gone. I told the new riders in the rookie meeting that they would all leave the parking lot in Seattle like a gibbering pack of hyenas on crack. By now they have a few days and nights behind them and are starting to understand that there is still a week ahead of them. The veterans know that the rally always throws tougher challenges at them on the later legs.

Today is checkpoint day. The window opens at 2000. Penalty points accrue per minute starting then and continuing to 2200, when the checkpoint closes. Riders not checked in at the table by 2200 are immediately sent to DNF status.

Here today's snapshot.

0624_0719PDT.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/KGTpilot/IBR11?authkey=Gv1sRgCIa_xZSzi-CZkAE#5621791162304444514

As you can see, most of the visible field is between Detroit and Cleveland. Lansing was a large bonus so it makes sense that many riders went for it. These riders will be in good shape and should be expecting to arrive at the checkpoint between 1500 and 1700 today.

There are riders strung out across PA, headed for Harrisburg. The rider closest to Pittsburg has about 460 miles to cover in the available 10 hours. They should be getting in before the window opens but only an hour or so to spare. Similarly it looks as if rider "887" might be attempting the same. That rider has 575 miles to cover if headed to Harrisburg They may make it by 2000 but will need a solid day of boogie.

The rider near Indianapolis has 560 miles ahead of them if they are to claim Michigan as well (and he needs to). Based on their pace over the last four days, I expect this rider will arrive in the penalty window if he makes it at all. The rider near Cincinnati has similar challenges.

What about that fellow in Vermont? Rider 130 spent the night collecting all the New England states. This has me puzzled because those are Leg 2 states. This rider did not go to Madawaska. So .... ???? Color me confuzzled here.

We do know that at least one rider was steaming for Madawaska yesterday afternoon and well on pace to grab it in time.

The questions remain. Was Alaska worth it? Is 4-Corners worth it? Will the next bonus listing throw something out that the hardcore riders that went to Hyder or Madawaska can't reach as a result of states they bypassed; but that suddenly opens big points to those that did a more conservative states-and-capitals route? That would be reminiscent of 2001 when Deadhorse was offered at check 2 to riders for twice as many points as on leg 1 but it was not available to the riders that left for it on leg 1 because they had to skip check 2. Ah, the mind games!

Scores for the leg may not be representative of effort and position. The 4-Corners bonus will not be added to anyone's score until the finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand what 184 is going for. By my recollection, he/she still needs to get MI, so, do they have time to get KY, OH, MI and make it to Buffalo?

Rider 184 is heading towards Cincinnati. I'm guessing he is trying to pickup Kentucky before heading back Northeast to Columbus. I hope he doesn't think he has enough time to do Charleston, West Virginia and still make it to Cheektowaga. If he wants West Virginia on Leg 1 he should settle for Wheeling at this point.

Thanks Jeff, great update!

Hope Wendy gets some attention to that eye. I hate getting shit in my eye, especially while riding (inevitable). It's damn annoying.

It's been about three hours since the last snapshot..... most all are pushing towards Cheektowaga now....

5_800.jpg

Hopeless Class fans will be happy to note that the crusty old Triumph Trident is among that dense pack clustered around the Toledo area.

Lest you think that #130 is kinda far east... we have a couple riders that are still further east of rider #130.

We also have a rider still in Canada, but he's not too far off from dropping into NY; he's even closer to the Checkpoint than rider #130.

Happy to see Rider #184 finally crossing Indiana....

...The questions remain. Was Alaska worth it? Is 4-Corners worth it? Will the next bonus listing throw something out that the hardcore riders that went to Hyder or Madawaska can't reach as a result of states they bypassed; but that suddenly opens big points to those that did a more conservative states-and-capitals route? That would be reminiscent of 2001 when Deadhorse was offered at check 2 to riders for twice as many points as on leg 1 but it was not available to the riders that left for it on leg 1 because they had to skip check 2. Ah, the mind games!

Scores for the leg may not be representative of effort and position. The 4-Corners bonus will not be added to anyone's score until the finish.
So do riders that went "balls out" to grab the big Leg 1 points ever get just fooking depressed when the Leg 2 Bonii listing is handed out...realizing that they are toast...still have a week's riding ahead of them and are not in the big lead they thought they were?

I don't understand what 184 is going for. By my recollection, he/she still needs to get MI, so, do they have time to get KY, OH, MI and make it to Buffalo?

Rider 184 is heading towards Cincinnati. I'm guessing he is trying to pickup Kentucky before heading back Northeast to Columbus. I hope he doesn't think he has enough time to do Charleston, West Virginia and still make it to Cheektowaga. If he wants West Virginia on Leg 1 he should settle for Wheeling at this point.
I'm with you guys.....don't see the reason in what he's doing. Of course, we don't have the bonus listing. Guess time will show the wisdom of his route.

Thanks, too, to Jeff Earls for his update. Great reading.

Did I mention this is really fun?!?

Is 151 sleeping at his house? He/she is in the middle of a subdivision for some time now. I thought that was a no-no, since once you are in your own bed it is too easy to stay there.
This is a guess on my part...he/she might know someone and is getting maintenance or repairs done? I think that's ok as long as the rider is doing it themselves and not letting someone else do it while the rider sleeps. I could be wrong, I haven't read all of the details.

The other possibility is that the SPOT wasn't enabled and that was the last-known check-in for the device. The rider could be at the checkpoint.
The rider doesn't have to do the maintenance themselves. Most who schedule a tire change would have it done at a shop for example.

It's the letting others route for you while you sleep that is no longer allowed.

Hopefully Wendy's eye doesn't give her too much grief and she can continue. That just doesn't sound pleasant at all.

There's been many a Canadian bonus in past IBRs... doesn't look likely this time, however.

We have never had a bonus location in Mexico.
Cool. Thanks.

So, I'm hoping Iggy forgot to turn his Spot back on or is outta batteries. Cuz it still shows him in Milwaukee for the last 2.25 hours. Can't be accurate.....

As for the IBR riders, it looks like 1 or 2 guys currently in Michigan are going to take a "shortcut" through Canada. #201, #929, and maybe #48. 201 is all but certainly doing that given his current position.

Great news about Wendy. Hopefully a solution can be worked out that will keep her riding safely.

And Iggy's Spot lit back up. He's on I-90 now heading towards South Bend. He should make the Cheekymonkey check no problem.

I'm with you guys.....don't see the reason in what he's doing. Of course, we don't have the bonus listing. Guess time will show the wisdom of his route.

Thanks, too, to Jeff Earls for his update. Great reading.

Did I mention this is really fun?!?
184 has 10 hours of riding if he picks up KY and MI. Checkpoint opens in 8.5 and closes in 10.5.

Sure hope that isn't FJR rider from TN.

it looks like 1 or 2 guys currently in Michigan are going to take a "shortcut" through Canada. #201, #929, and maybe #48.
And #929 is yet another FJR guy, too.... WTF, these FJR's of #929 and #184 are slightly pushing the issue a little... :huh:

929 is heading for the border. I'm sure of it as of the last Spot update. He'll make it barring any huge border crossing holdups. If it goes well, he'll have time to spare....

it looks like 1 or 2 guys currently in Michigan are going to take a "shortcut" through Canada. #201, #929, and maybe #48.
And #929 is yet another FJR guy, too.... WTF, these FJR's of #929 and #184 are slightly pushing the issue a little... :huh:
Traffic on the 401 on a Friday Afternoon... man, I don't like that when I'm fresh, let alone been on the road for 5 days.

<stuff that could be used as routing assistance deleted>

Just sayin' is all.

Tom Austin's Day 4 report: https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2011.cfm

Per Tom's instructions... Wikipedia sez the following:

A beef on weck sandwich is a variety of steak sandwich found primarily in Western New York. It is made with roast beef on a kummelweck roll. The meat on the sandwich is traditionally served rare, thin cut, with the top bun getting a dip au jus. Accompaniments include horseradish, a dill pickle spear, and french fries.

800px-Small_-_Beef_on_Weck.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.