2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rallywench, Lisa has promised 1088 riders at CP1 a sandwich.
Now how could the 1088 riders turn down an offer like that.
15.gif

Some of the Utah1088 riders are intermingled with the IBR riders near Cleveland...wonder if one of the Utah1088 bonus listings is to get a picture of the IBR checkpoint :p
Yes, they ahve to get 2 pictures, one of an IBR rider holding both the IBR rally flag and the 1088 flag at the same time. And the 2 nd picture is of the bikes in the hotel parking lot.
Ya know, seems to me, this has got to phuq with an IBR newbie's head a bit. Get to the first checkpoint, "yay, I made it", and someone, looking just like an IBR rider, is asking you to "hold this, please, while I take a picture". Or, in Ig's case, "weren't you in Seattle"?

I would love to be in Buffalo...weather, more bonuses, 1088 riders, leg 2...

Less than 6 hours time before Penalty time.... I think some are looking at a DNF if they can't pick up the pace.....

5_1110.jpg

FJR Rider #184 has that amount of time to go ~ 400 miles.... :unsure:

I am also starting to fret about Rider #872..... this rider hasn't move from Lima, OH in many hours... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than 6 hours time before Penalty time.... I think some are looking at a DNF if they can't pick up the pace.....

5_1110.jpg

FJR Rider #184 has that amount of time to go ~ 400 miles.... :unsure:
looks like your guy is going to try and dip a toe into Michigan, too, adding about 75 miles.

Hope the Spotwalla really is delayed... Rotsa ruck, pal.

Warchild- you've been very good at answering questions diplomatically.... so without crossing any lines, can you give any hint as to how many of the riders on the public Spotwalla page are contenders to win? I know the Hyder and Madawaska riders are not shown, but of the top dozen or so pre-rally favorites to win, how many are we able to see?

by the way, thank you and the rest of the FJR forum for your hospitality, this is a great venue for following the show.

Some of the Utah1088 riders are intermingled with the IBR riders near Cleveland...wonder if one of the Utah1088 bonus listings is to get a picture of the IBR checkpoint :p
Yes, they ahve to get 2 pictures, one of an IBR rider holding both the IBR rally flag and the 1088 flag at the same time. And the 2 nd picture is of the bikes in the hotel parking lot.
Ya know, seems to me, this has got to phuq with an IBR newbie's head a bit. Get to the first checkpoint, "yay, I made it", and someone, looking just like an IBR rider, is asking you to "hold this, please, while I take a picture". Or, in Ig's case, "weren't you in Seattle"?

I would love to be in Buffalo...weather, more bonuses, 1088 riders, leg 2...
Espcially since Iggy is about to catch a couple fo riders just east of Toledo. And he is ahead of some others.

I know I'm supposed to cheer for the FJRs, but I'm holding out hope that the Triumph and it's rider make the podium.
A 'podium' finish is a Top 10 finish. That is NOT going to happen for our intrepid Trumpet rider. I will be completely esctatic if he just manages to finish. Any position as part of a finish will be a complete victory for that brave bastard!

Warchild- you've been very good at answering questions diplomatically.... so without crossing any lines, can you give any hint as to how many of the riders on the public Spotwalla page are contenders to win?

I don't know identities, but in general, from what I am seeing I would say that very few, if any of the public SPOT participants are contenders to win. But then you never really know........

Dale,

Can you list the riders Spot# for the type bike they have without breaking any disclosure rules, like Yamaha/FJR,

Honda/ST1300, Honda/GW, BMW, etc. and any one off like the Triumph, FZ1, SV650, KLR list them as "Other"

I know I'm supposed to cheer for the FJRs, but I'm holding out hope that the Triumph and it's rider make the podium.
I'll be ecstatic if he just makes it back to Ontario! ;)

Warchild- you've been very good at answering questions diplomatically.... so without crossing any lines, can you give any hint as to how many of the riders on the public Spotwalla page are contenders to win?
There's actually no way for me to tell, as I don't have the historical tracks, and I've been so busy keeping this thread updated - I couldn't tell you! I have access to most all the SPOTs, but even that can't tell me with any confidence who the frontrunners might be.

If the Hyder players did it right, they'll obviously be sitting pretty in the standings tonight... but at what cost for Legs 2 and 3?

Of the non-Hyder players, I'd probably offer no real surprises... Sakala, Jewell, Oswald, Andy Kirby, Coons, Harrison, Crane... any and all could be way high in the standings tonight, but they should be in considerably better physical shape than Sinclair, Peek and Meese.

I expect the latter three will look like a rusty can of used **** when they arrive in Cheektowaga... of course, Sinclair looks that way all the time. ;)

Dale,

Can you list the riders Spot# for the type bike they have without breaking any disclosure rules, like Yamaha/FJR, Honda/ST1300, Honda/GW, BMW, etc. and any one off like the Triumph, FZ1, SV650, KLR list them as "Other"
Hmmmm I'd have to be a little careful there... perhaps I can do something for the later legs...

I'll be ecstatic if he just makes it back to Ontario! ;)

There's actually no way for me to tell, as I don't have the historical tracks, and I've been so busy keeping this thread updated - I couldn't tell you! I have access to most all the SPOTs, but even that can't tell me with any confidence who the frontrunners might be.

If the Hyder players did it right, they'll obviously be sitting pretty in the standings tonight... but at what cost for Legs 2 and 3?

Of the non-Hyder players, I'd probably offer no real surprises... Sakala, Jewell, Oswald, Andy Kirby, Coons, Harrison, Crane... any and all could be way high in the standings tonight, but they should be in considerably better shape than Sinclair, Peek and Meese.

I expect the latter three will look like a rusty can of used **** when they arrive in Cheektowaga... of course, Sinclair looks that way all the time. ;)

Dale,

Can you list the riders Spot# for the type bike they have without breaking any disclosure rules, like Yamaha/FJR, Honda/ST1300, Honda/GW, BMW, etc. and any one off like the Triumph, FZ1, SV650, KLR list them as "Other"
Hmmmm I'd have to be a little careful there... perhaps I can do something for the later legs...
I'm thinking the rider or riders who seem to have gotten the 2nd of the 4 corners in Maine may also be in good shape. To whit, they will be able to blow off most of the east coast state capitols (since most aren't far off the route and are presumably worth few points), pick up a few higher value capitols, and burn down to Key West. The 4th corner is less than 150 miles from the finish so they could end up in a very strong position. Of course, this all assumes no serious curve balls from the Rally Meisters for legs 2 and 3.

- Tim

With the potential for legs 2 and 3 to also be very high mileage, I hope everyone has plans for new tires worked out. IN the past you could get by with one set, but I am thinking that isn't going to be the case for this years IBR.
I just saw this question, from several pages back...a very busy thread today! Many of the riders made arrangements for new tires, chains, sprockets, etc, at the Cheektowaga or Jacksonville checkpoints. I have two sets of rear tires/wheels in my garage to deliver to the Jax checkpoint Monday AM.

Another armchair non-veteran here, about to comment on a possible strategy for the folks that went all out over New England (like 130). After reading up on all the previous IBR bonus options that were offered through the years, it does seem to make some weird kind of sense to get as many extra states on leg 1 as possible, even if you don't get any points for them now. What it does do though is possibly opening the door to take advantage of some huge mileage monster bonus coming up in leg 2 or 3, which might simply be impossible if you still need all of these NE states.

This is great and nail biting coverage, thanks for all the good comments, and especially to Jeff E., Dale and other REAL IBR vets. You rock!

EDIT: Just read page 7 on the IBR site IBR Page 7, and it looks like the strategy for New England in the first leg is to enable Key West in the second leg; after this "official" comment I expect to see huge points for Key West for leg 2.

Much like the IBR riders out there today, I too did my 19 mile commute to work this morning in the rain...and it looks like the same for the ride home :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.