2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like 887 has bailed on Harrisburg. Good choice, as it would have been a bit too close...

Another armchair non-veteran here, about to comment on a possible strategy for the folks that went all out over New England (like 130). After reading up on all the previous IBR bonus options that were offered through the years, it does seem to make some weird kind of sense to get as many extra states on leg 1 as possible, even if you don't get any points for them now. What it does do though is possibly opening the door to take advantage of some huge mileage monster bonus coming up in leg 2 or 3, which might simply be impossible if you still need all of these NE states.

This is great and nail biting coverage, thanks for all the good comments, and especially to Jeff E., Dale and other REAL IBR vets. You rock!

EDIT: Just read page 7 on the IBR site IBR Page 7, and it looks like the strategy for New England in the first leg is to enable Key West in the second leg; after this "official" comment I expect to see huge points for Key West for leg 2.
Emphasis added by me

In that official note, Tom was not implying that Key West would be the site of a big bonus and I'd be very surprised if they announced anything like that for Leg 2 as it's already a necessary component of the 4 corners bonus. Tom was pointing out that by getting the Maine corner out of the way on Leg 1 you would be able to pick up the 3rd corner, Key West, fairly easily on Leg 2 thus making the big 4 Corners Bonus a shoe-in.

37.5k views of this thread so far! (and not to hijack the thread any more... nothing can top Dale's, "as fucked up as a soup sandwich".)

Last edited by a moderator:
IBR Rider Wendy Crockett needs help:

Wendy was hit in the eye last night by a bug or other foreign object and her eye ball has swollen substantially. She has not lost vision but the swelling has made it difficult for her lower lid to close over the eye. She has tried some eye drops that have helped reduce swelling in the past in addition to a short nap, but that has not fixed the problem. She is still riding in a minor amount of pain but has decided to bee line to the checkpoint for safety sake. If you are an optometrist or are friends with an optometrist who understands the nuance of rallying and Wendy's unwillingness to stop her rally to "go to the doctors office" I beg you to please contact her directly via her cell at 559-788-8562. Please, eye care professionals only. She is looking for advise that can keep her on the road. Thanks you for your help and support.
Mike

Wendy's Husband
Tyler, it was one more page back from Pats link above.

The fact that Wendy has gone to the Dr. will make my wife (Registered Nurse) very happy. I left a message with Dale, giving him my wife's advice today as well. Her first response was she needed to see a Dr. (typical medical field response). :) Knowing the "riders" ride...she also said, "I guess she could ice and ibuprofen the swelling down" (all of this with a you're all crazy look in her eyes). :)

Dave

Man, a live web cam at the check in locations would be cool.

I wonder if 184 still has his watch set on California time?
*IF* he can maintain BBG pace to the checkpoint, he'll be about 1 hour into the penalty window.
Now how about 372 who is now behind him on the same route.
Tough to say because that is a "custom" SPOT message and may not be representative of his or her current position.

If, as of 1316PDT, that rider is actually there they will need to average >70 mph to bag Michigan and get to Buffalo before the checkpoint *CLOSES*. Not looking good for them. At all.

872 has been in the same spot for a few hours, Afternoon siesta I hope not. I just hope he/she forgot to turn the spot back on.

I'm guessing that 872 is ahead of 184, not stuck in Lima ... At least I hope so.

At this point, I am really, REALLY hoping Riders #872 and #230 have their SPOTs inadvertently turned off.... :unsure:

Especially #872... this marker hasn't moved from Lima all day.... :huh:

5_120pm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.