2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's on the blue SV650? I didn't see it listed in Tom's Day -2 roster.
This Guy?

DSC_7136.JPG

web.jpg

Proof that looking at ugly BMWs for too long will cause you to go blind.

DSC_7079.JPG

Typical cold Seattle summers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I love 4G service and a smart phone with a large screen. I am at a construction site, and I can still check the SPOT link. Nice.

Looks like they are making good time entering the flat lands of the great plains.

Couple of comments on these awesome photos....

Here is Perry Karsten, leaning against his FJR with a dry final drive housing:

web.jpg

DaJuice, doing some last-minute checks...

web.jpg

Custom Linda Tankbag setups for the FJR1300.... none finer anywhere; this is the Gold Standard within the Endurance Riding community:

web.jpg

Colin, like most rookies, is carrying way, way, WAAAAAAY too much crap that he will never even touch throughout the entire 11 days. The big, honkin' yellow Pelican case weighs an enormous amount. During the mandatory Rookies Meeting, they were cautioned by Jeff Earls to go through their crap one more time, and unload 50% of it. Very few rookies listened... they will have to learn the old-fashion way:

web.jpg

Here is BionicPelvis checking her tankbag.... vets had better watch out for Wendy here; she's considered a dark horse for a podium finish. She is one serious FJR pilot....

web.jpg

This is actually Bob Higdon's bike, illegally parked in the Impound Lot. This is the Nighthawk Higdon rode across Russia several years ago.

web.jpg

The bike belonging to "Fazer Phil", from England. His Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer gas tank is not stock; he enlarged it to over 7 gallons.

web.jpg

This is the couple from Australia, Shane and Annette Cudlin. That cooler is a sub-optimal idea; it is too low. They scrapped every speed-bump leaving the parking lot...

DSC_7114.JPG

I am curious, what is the average age of the pilots ??

youngest is 24 I think I read and oldest is ???

Willie

I am curious, what is the average age of the pilots ??

youngest is 24 I think I read and oldest is ???

Willie
Possibly Art Garvin, who had his birthday on that first day of Tech Inspection... Art is well into his 70's...

Man, I hope I am able to ride in something as tough as the IBR when I am in my 70's. That is awesome!

Man, I hope I am able to ride in something as tough as the IBR when I am in my 70's. That is awesome!
So you're saying 2015 then??

I'm having a good time watching this unfold, but my ass is sore just watching. Don't think I have the stones for something this intense :(

Some more killer pics..... courtesy of forum member PatL!!

Lots of FJR pilots in this shot... I am in the Yamaha Racing shirt, that is Nancy Oswald (Ms Kitty) in the sunglasses and scarfs; there is Dick Peek (GoFar) taking a knee in front of Ms Kitty, and seen between me and Bob Higdon is Dave Hembroff, who's FJR is one of the best prepared bikes on the Starting Grid:

IMG8925-L.jpg

FIRST OUT THE GATE!! My personal hero, John Young, on his ancient 1969 Triumph Trident..... gawd, I hope this fucker makes it....

IMG8937-L.jpg

His countryman Frazer Phil leaves the Start Line:

IMG8943-L.jpg

Wendy Crockett (BionicPelvis) heads out..... awesome photo....

IMG8965-L.jpg

Eric Vaillancourt's wife Cletha, as she heads out on the Eric-prepared BMW F650:

IMG8973-L.jpg

FJR1300 COMING THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG8978-L.jpg

Dick Peek (GoFar) pulls away.... look at the facial expression on this man... is he focused, or WHAT?!

IMG8983-L.jpg

Colin on his horrendously overstuffed FJR... his front tire mileage should be excellent...

IMG9003-L.jpg

Nancy Oswald (Ms Kitty) couldn't get her FJR lowered in time, so she took her BMW Atomic Cockroach again this year...

IMG9005-L.jpg

More FJRs departing the Start Line.....

IMG9033-L.jpg

IMG9036-L.jpg

IMG9047-L.jpg

IMG9104-L.jpg

I think this is Doug Barrett below.... note the SkooterG-inspired Hula Girl below the right mirror....

IMG9097-L.jpg

Howard!!!!

IMG9110-L.jpg

The Kid, 24-year-old Brian Bray:

IMG9071-L.jpg

Probably the most experienced, hard-core 2-up couple in Endurance Riding today: Tom and Rosie Sperry:

IMG9116-L.jpg

Here I discussed with the Rallymistress how a Beemer managed to leave the Impound Lot illegally....

IMG9119-L.jpg

Dale, thanks for adding captions to the pix, makes all the difference to associate a name with the face, makes it personal.

These guys and and gals rock, and I have to say right here that while I'm pulling for all FJR pilots, my heart is with Wendy!

You GO GURL!

The Aussies are a coupla nuts. They showed up at the Cal24 after riding straight over from..... FLORIDA! LOL.They are truly taking in the US of A, the best way. They actually tipped over that pig at the 3am checkpoint. Let's just say Wingabagos are not easy to lift. Felt like we were deadlifting a spa. Jeez.PS: Go Wendy!

Isn't Peter on RenoJohn's old bike? Pretty sure he ran the IBR last year not long after buying that bike off RJ. I hope he sanitized it. Lots and lots of bleach!

SPOT snapshot as of 8:30am PDT.... I have no idea WTF the two riders DP and T_H are doing that far south.... :blink:

2_835.jpg

Okay, what 'da ****..... check out this SPOT snapshot just taken...

9hours.jpg

LOOK at this "TBO" dude riding in uber-slow-ass Hwy 12 in Orofino, Idaho!!! WTF?! Is he sight-seeing?! :blink:

I see that TBO is now in Missoula, having completed a nice run along the river.

SPOT snapshot as of 8:30 PDT.... I have no idea WTF the two riders DP and T_H are doing that far south.... :blink:
Been watching that, and wondering if, in addition to picking off Utah (and Nevada for DP), whether Salt Lake City, Denver and Cheyenne are on the list of available capitols on the first leg. (I believe they both still have to pick off Montana.)

Status
Not open for further replies.