2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say right here that while I'm pulling for all FJR pilots, my heart is with Wendy!
You GO GURL!
I'm with you, honey... I got to meet Wendy and her hubby, Mike, on my return trip from Death Valley in April when I rode through Kernville. Stopped at their moto shop there and chit chatted for a bit before heading off on 155 (with Wendy's expert guidance!). She is good people... I'm rooting for her from my armchair!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Everyone, thanks for the awesome pics. Dale, thanks for the scoop.

It's absolutely killing me not to be around. Already losing sleep and I'm not even riding.

Interested in any news of the three riders headed north and following the spot page throughout the day.

Go FJRs!!

Isn't Peter on RenoJohn's old bike? Pretty sure he ran the IBR last year not long after buying that bike off RJ. I hope he sanitized it. Lots and lots of bleach!
Peter retired Reno 1 after the little incident in last years IBR5K. He got himself a new one, dubbed Reno 2. Oh, and a 3rd one for a parts bike. Apparently, Reno2 will live somewhere on the left coast for the rest of its days.

Isn't Peter on RenoJohn's old bike? Pretty sure he ran the IBR last year not long after buying that bike off RJ. I hope he sanitized it. Lots and lots of bleach!
Peter retired Reno 1 after the little incident in last years IBR5K. He got himself a new one, dubbed Reno 2. Oh, and a 3rd one for a parts bike. Apparently, Reno2 will live somewhere on the left coast for the rest of its days.

So need for bleaching Reno2 I presume...

I worry about anyone still west of Helena...and south of Wyoming. I can barely make sense of what some of the riders are doing.

And what's up with the pair in Boise?

Dale,

I noticed on the published (shortest route) to the lower 48, it appears that the route hits the 4 corners spot (UT|CO|AZ|NM).

Just from poking around I don't see an 'easy' way to get (4) receipts from each of the states. Are they allowed to use that marker as proof of those 4 states? Some thing else?

-MD

I noticed on the published (shortest route) to the lower 48, it appears that the route hits the 4 corners spot (UT|CO|AZ|NM).

Just from poking around I don't see an 'easy' way to get (4) receipts from each of the states. Are they allowed to use that marker as proof of those 4 states? Some thing else?
I noticed that too and was wondering the same thing. My 'guess'is no, and that they will have to do some extra riding in some of those states to get 'proof' receipts.

Great photos Dale!

Dale,

-MD
The latter, I believe.

The rules thus far say a computer-generated receipt of some sort (food purchase, fuel, etc) depicting city, state, time and date. Photographs are needed for the state capital buildings to claim them for the bonus - but receipts are needed for proof that you hit a state correctly.

Dunno if there is any computer-generated receipts available at the Four-Corners...

Eric Vaillancourt's wife Cletha, as she heads out on the Eric-prepared BMW F650:

IMG8973-L.jpg

What? No Car Tire?!?! Poor Eric can't even get his woman to drink the Kool-Aid? :lol:

Some more names to the FJRs.....

Perry Karsten:

IMG9033-L.jpg

DaJuice I believe:

IMG9036-L.jpg

Mike Mehaffy:

IMG9104-L.jpg

Did the riders get all the capital point values and what leg they are available on in Seattle?
They got the available capitals they can get on Leg One only, along with their point values... they have no idea which capitals and what their point value will be for Legs 2 and 3 yet.

Also keep in mind that not every state capital is offered as a bonus. However, the ones they do offer on any one Leg make logical (geographical) sense. Example: they won't offer the capital of Texas or Florida on Leg One, nor will they offer the capitals of North Dakota or Michigan on Leg 3, etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the riders get all the capital point values and what leg they are available on in Seattle?
They got the available capitals they can get on Leg One only, along with their point values... they have no idea which capitals and what their point value will be for Legs 2 and 3 yet.

Also keep in mind that not every state capital is offered as a bonus. However, the ones they do offer on any one Leg make logical (geographical) sense. Example: they won't offer the capital of Texas or Florida on Leg One, nor will they offer the capitals of North Dakota or Michigan on Leg 3, etc, etc.
I'd read otherwise some where on the internet. So the riders headed for Hyder don't know how many points they might miss out on chasing Northern states in later legs. This is a devilishly twisted and simple format.

Anyone heard about the Alaska bonus? I read three were headed there, they don't use spot?

That would be a BBG pace in the rain in NY! OUch!

This shite is just plain fascinating. I think my productivy will suffer some this week. Thanks Dale for keeping this thread active, up to date and interesting.

Eric Vaillancourt's wife Cletha, as she heads out on the Eric-prepared BMW F650:

What? No Car Tire?!?! Poor Eric can't even get his woman to drink the Kool-Aid? :lol:
I was wondering how long it would take for someone else to notice that and post a smart ass quip. :lol: Gotta root for her on the podium with a lightside MC tire, even if our darksider in chief couldn't find a CT to fit that lil Beemer. ;)

This shite is just plain fascinating. I think my productivy will suffer some this week. Thanks Dale for keeping this thread active, up to date and interesting.
Same here. The apparent strategies, such as we can see and figure them out, are fascinating -- more so than usual for us spectators, since the bonii are so much simpler and more obvious for this IBR.

As to the procrastination effect, maybe we should be thankful that we can't track each rider, are in suspense about the Alaska expedition and that some riders seem to occasionally turn off their SPOTs and get lost time-wise on the interactive map (for those of us following what seem to be unique routes).

I'd read otherwise some where on the internet. So the riders headed for Hyder don't know how many points they might miss out on chasing Northern states in later legs.
Correct.

Which is why, quite frankly, that I think that Hyder is ill-advised. We expected the more self-aggrandizing rookies to take this bait, not several veterans. Assuming they even make it to Checkpoint One in time - and that's a mighty big "if" - they will be 100% smoked-meat-on-a-stick in NY. What if Rally Staff throws them a curve ball at Checkpoint One with some rough equivalent to "Red Pill/Blue Pill" ala the 2003 IBR? These guys won't even know their names, much less be able to handle a tough academic exercise...

Me, I think I would have done Blaine just to keep that in my hip pocket so that *if* I determine I could indeed still do the 4-Corners bonus when I get the Checkpoint One, I still could do so. But if you didn't get Blaine right outta the gate, you've tossed away even the chance to get it.

This is a devilishly twisted and simple format.
I think it is going to get more evil once they start getting to checkpoints.... ;)

How is the order of leaving the starting gate determined?

Lottery? Lowest IBA#? Bribery?
Truthfully... we wait until we learn which way the *riders* think we are going to send out... then we typically chose the extreme opposite. :lol:

Ken Meese had this all figured out this year, and placed his broke-dick beemer at the spot he was convinced we would start at. Surprise.... Ken Meese was last out the gate! :lol:

Thanks Warchild for filling in details on who's who in these shots. I'll go back and add names sometime in the near future. I'm not sure if this was posted, but my full photo set is at https://www.ishootyoulive.com/Motorcycles/Events/Iron-Butt-Rally-2011/. Anybody should feel free to comment there to point out who's who.

I said this when I posted the link to the ldriders list:

>One thing I want to say though... The IBA and IBR staff are amazing. Lisa

>Landry noticed where I was set up a few minutes before the start and pointed

>me to a couple of better locations to photo from. I'm sure she had a

>million other priorities at the moment, but she took the time to help. I've

>been around the IBA for quite a while, but just a fringe guy, and it always

>amazes me what a great community this is. I'm proud to be part of it.

My favorite photo was this one, in which both you and Higdon are smiling :)

IMG8926-L.jpg

is it a problem, advisable, or allowed to physically ride out to watch or visit riders

I'm mainly wondering if us in the audience could learn of a checkpoint at a point to visit it

if it happens to be within reasonable riding distance, go there to watch the drama first hand.

Looking for advice on this point pleeeeze...

(I'm in Nawlins' and the published route some/most might take is close by in two directions)

Status
Not open for further replies.