2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a hoot!

I'm wondering if some smart programmer could do a screen shot of the spotwalla, say every hour or so, and then make a movie of it? Probably wouldn't want to show it until after the event that it would be a pretty cool vid. Probably look like that game of life thing with all the little protozoae swarming all over the place.

7x

Go to St-owners to find that one.

see post #123

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?96806-Who-s-in-for-the-2011-IBR/page13

Last edited by a moderator:
The best year ever for us following the event ! What a blast so far. Doug Barret is riding the FJR I sold Him so I hope to see a good finish. He is very well prepared and determined. O.K., a car tire might seem a bit of a stretch . . . Awesome Dale & all involved !!
NO car tire for Doug. A cracked rim spooked him. See the Darksider thread. And to my disappointment, Doug has chosen to ride in a team with another rider - never a formula for a top finish imho. Still, I too with him the best. Good guy.

Big miles for sure.
I don't know how Hyder compares to the 4-corners in points, but if it's close.......

1. They can skip the 600 + miles between Augusta and Madawaska (half is 2 lane btw)

2. They can skip the 1,300 miles between Talahasee and Key West. (f'in key deer)

3. Points for the capitals will likely be higher on the second leg, and they'll have

2,000 miles to play with that the 4 corners people don't.

4. No one has ever won by going to Key West. AFAIK.

I think that One of the AK guys will take it if they can keep there shit together. :crazy:

I couldn't do it.

I'm on the edge of my arm chair :jerry:

Excellent analysis Jeff! Yes, while easily doable miles-wise skipping Oregon and Nebraska, that would most-likely be a terrible decision. I'm afraid these boys may have dug themselves in a hole that will be very hard to get out of.

So what do you think of my 'getting corners 2 and 3 early' strategy? Fire away! I've got a thick skin.
It would have to be time and weather dependent on getting though Mass and New Hampshire. Forecast now calls crap wed, Thurs, Fri and into Sat (iffy)

They would go from BBG pace to pushing a baby carriage into the wind of hurricane 30 hours plus through New England or 26 hours through Canada. I can't see it happening before the window closes in New York.

Yes, my assumption so far has been that the 4-corners points are enough to be worth it. In actuality, the 4-corners could just be one big distraction for a competitive rally and something to do for the mid-pack. Part of that assumption is based on Tom Austin's daily report where he talks about going back to basics and doing 'big miles'.

Damn. Now I am wishing I had that rally pack in my hot little hands!

Excellent analysis Jeff! Yes, while easily doable miles-wise skipping Oregon and Nebraska, that would most-likely be a terrible decision. I'm afraid these boys may have dug themselves in a hole that will be very hard to get out of.

So what do you think of my 'getting corners 2 and 3 early' strategy? Fire away! I've got a thick skin.
I thought I read that only certain states were available on each leg in one of Tom's reports.

Maybe it was certain capitals, but if so, you wouldn't want to ride through a couple capitals you couldn't score.

Wish I knew what was in that fuggin book!

I might have done Blaine just to have the 4-Corner option later if it proved reasonable, but I would not have done Hyder.
I haven't done an analysis on Blaine/Madawaska as a leg 1 route. After determining that Hyder was a poor choice Sunday night, I realized I had the luxury of turning off the light and going to sleep instead of continuing to plan. I might play with that route option tonight. However I think the 4-Corners option won't pan out either.

Dale, like you I probably would have at least grabbed Blaine before heading to Salem, Boise, and Cheyenne. The only reason to do that is as insurance in case the leg 2 and 3 capitol building point values don't escalate sufficiently to cover the value of 4-Corners. Note that anyone doing Key West on Leg 3 is unlikely to have time to get Denver, SLC, Carson City, and Sacramento. Guess which capitols I think will have big point values on Leg 3. So yeah, I don't like the idea of going to Key West on Leg 3, so could I pull that off on Leg 2 if I got Madawaska on Leg 1? I dunno. That's what I need to play with on the computer tonight.

I saw a couple of riders dip into Utah and Colorado today just to bank the state receipts. I'm thinking that is so they can go to Key West and give themselves more slack on the return to Ontario.

Maybe it was certain capitals, but if so, you wouldn't want to ride through a couple capitals you couldn't score.
Only capitals. You can get a state any time. Yes, as I said, it would be a gamble. Give up some points on the earlier legs betting that giving yourself more time on leg 3 would be worth it for the big point hunting.

LOOK at this "TBO" dude riding in uber-slow-ass Hwy 12 in Orofino, Idaho!!! WTF?! Is he sight-seeing?! :blink:
Must be. Guess he wants to ride the Lolo Pass road. Hell, maybe he'll double back and ride it two or three times for the fun of it. :lol:
I have a fairly good guess who that might be. A black FJR from So Cal perhaps?

I just made the Hyder run a couple of weeks ago and you can haul ass - but only if it is day time. From the junction where you turn up the Cassiar, it is animal city. We saw moose and 24 bears going into Hyder, another pile coming out. The gas station in Stewart doesn't open until 0730 or 0800 - so that is a limiting factor as well.

But during the day, you can move quick. Very quick, according to my Zumo logs. The brush is cut back a good ways and there are good sight lines for the most part. And there is a fair amount of day light with yesterday and today being the longest of the year. Here are a couple of bogies I saw lurking in them there woods:

BCTrip052811_0082a.jpg

BCTrip052811_0073a.jpg

SPOT snapshot as of 8:30am PDT.... I have no idea WTF the two riders DP and T_H are doing that far south.... :blink:

2_835.jpg
Cheyenne, WY-the capital of the state...a bit off the beaten path, so the points must be up there

Looks like "RW" finally turned north to get Pierre, SD. Me thinks that he/she will continue up ND, maybe backtrap to Bismarck and continue east from there.

This SPOT watching is fun! :yahoo:
Yes, it is fun!

How about that "T_H"? Snagged Cheyenne, and now looks to be headed to Denver. Wonder what the points values are for those capitals? Got a lot of ground to cover to go north still however.
while they can claim a state on any leg, the extra points for the capital is only available on specific legs. Denver isn't available for points until leg 3. Their rally passport books are marked with which capitals are available on which leg.

So, you might be getting the impression that I think Hyder is a poor

choice. You are correct.
Great analysis, Jeff. Thanks for sharing it.

I can't wait to see how the Hyder decision plays out and I wish one of them had SPOT....

Looks like "RW" finally turned north to get Pierre, SD. Me thinks that he/she will continue up ND, maybe backtrap to Bismarck and continue east from there.

Yes, it is fun!

How about that "T_H"? Snagged Cheyenne, and now looks to be headed to Denver. Wonder what the points values are for those capitals? Got a lot of ground to cover to go north still however.
while they can claim a state on any leg, the extra points for the capital is only available on specific legs. Denver isn't available for points until leg 3. Their rally passport books are marked with which capitals are available on which leg.
Do they know the point values now for those capitals on legs 2 and 3??

Best part of this thread, now that the vets are discussing routing, is some insight into what goes into the route planning before the start of each leg. Thanks for sharing. I'm beginning to see what is so addicting about riding this almost impossible rally.

No. Those capitol point values, and who knows whatever else, will be given to the riders at the start of the respective legs.

Yes, it is fun!

they know which capitals are available on each leg, but only know the point values for leg 1.

After reading Jeff's excellent analysis this armchair rally rider is changing his mind. With the uncertainty of getting a computerized receipt and gas the timeline and miles are just too tight. My analysis was based on rolling into Hyder, getting a receipt and back on the road.

It will be very interesting to see if all three make it to the checkpoint before the penalty window and which states they're able to collect on this leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.