2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alot of these stars are currently in my area, making the trip up to or returning from Maine. I can feel the aura (or is just the smell? I'm about 2 miles from I95). I hope the weather improves for the riders. It was raining heavily with several T-storms this morning. I think I'll go camp out on a bridge and hope to catch a few riders heading south for a Boston point grab. There's no Red Sox or Bruins game in town today so they'll only have to deal with the regular Massholes today. Damn, this is fun.

Alot of these stars are currently in my area, making the trip up to or returning from Maine. I can feel the aura (or is just the smell? I'm about 2 miles from I95). I hope the weather improves for the riders. It was raining heavily with several T-storms this morning. I think I'll go camp out on a bridge and hope to catch a few riders heading south for a Boston point grab. There's no Red Sox or Bruins game in town today so they'll only have to deal with the regular Massholes today. Damn, this is fun.
yup there are a lot of Massholes, I hope the traffic on I93 going into the city isn't too bad for them, There are like 14 bridges and overpasses under construction in like 10 miles. I95 is no picnic either being a Maniac you know the joys of dealing with Boston.

Just so everyone is arm-chairing on a level playing field... :lol: ... the Spotwalla Rider IDs were re-randomized yet again in the wee hours this morning.

I wish the custom SPOTWALLA motorcycle icon would point in the direction my rider is going. I'm getting confused. :huh:

2001 IBR - Leg One Rider Scorecards

I dunno if I'd get all that excited about this early Scorecard standings.... many points aren't assessed until the end of Leg 3, so these Scorecards might be a bit misleading as a consequence.

Enjoy....
Dude! Reading comprehension is key! After finishing a couple IBRs, posting on a forum should not be that difficult!

:finger:

So Cameron Brister, who we were following last night was a DNF with "0" points.
NOT a DNF.

For example .... We had a rumour that Ken Meese had grabbed Madawaska, but the scorecard wouldn't show that either way.
Perhaps a simple mapping exercise is indicated. ;)

If we start in Seattle, go to Hyder, return via the US to collect states, continuing to Madawaska, and then return southwest to Cheektowaga.... what is that mileage? :)
You put that a lot more delicately that I would have. :) Well done.

Our local hero Mike Mehaffy must have been kicking himself last night. If not for his penalties ... being late to the checkpoint and apparently losing a State receipt ... he'd be in 4th place right now behind the Hyder contingent. :(
Uhhh.... make that 14th place.

Some interesting comments going on here.

My take:

- Meese and Peek CLEARLY have a big advantage. Without point values going up on leg 2 like I thought they would, all they need to do is gather up their states, and a few capitals on leg 2. There are no 'Hyder' knock-out punch type bonuses on leg 2 so they don't have to worry about anyone making significant ground on them. If either of them scored Blaine, WA, and are going for the 4-corners they may damn well be un-stoppable. Leg 3 rally listing is key to this. What surprises does it have, or doesn't have?

- Somebody commented on the monster miles Meese did. Yet, two non-Alaska riders were within 100 miles of his total! And a bunch of riders with serious 5000+ miles. I would say that any of the riders who did more than 5000-5200 miles put in a huge ride and may be suffering because of it. In fact, I'll go so far as to say the miles the Hyder boys did are 'easier' miles as they had less weather, traffic, heat and humidity to deal with than those scarfing up the capitals in the midwest.

I wonder how many IBR riders picked up Smoke Chasing Grand Tour spots while coming across the country? :rolleyes: That could have made for an interesting extra bonus category. :p

DSC_1103.JPG
Hey, that smoke chasing shit is harder than it looks. When you don't need BBQ it's everywhere. When you need it, you can't find it. 3 of the 4 joints I planned at stopping at on the way up were non-existent :/

(Still trying to catch up)

:)

Okay... I hate to tease y'all with insider info that I really can't share, but.... holy fucking shut, see Rider #638 way high north, arching toward Madawaska?

6_1140.jpg

Based upon this rider's Leg 1 performance and subsequent standings, I would have NEVER, EVER GUESSED this individual was a 4-Corners player! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Add to that.... when this snapshot was taken (11:40PDT today), this rider was well ahead of some very Big Dawgs.... like, every one, in fact!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Daaaaaaayumn... Rider #638.... let's remember that number for this leg.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rider 575 must be having problems, as he/she is at a dealer in New Hampshire.

Just so everyone is arm-chairing on a level playing field... :lol: ... the Spotwalla Rider IDs were re-randomized yet again in the wee hours this morning.

Jus curious....

Tell me ta phuck off if ya want. We're good....

Yer " :lol: " looks evil....

You know shit we don't, don't ya....

edit add: "Okay... I hate to tease y'all with insider info that I really can't share, but...."

Yup...

FISH CRAP!

(Bass turd)

Putting in the bonuses listed on his score card plus Madawaska, 7143. He's playing head games with someone
;)
I didn't hear it from him, I couldn't find him, I think he was sleeping :) That being said, the rumor was rampant, not one but two Rally staff mentioned it to me, as well as a couple riders. It was dubious at best but hey... You take what info ya gets.

Above all, I was dully impressed with how good everyone looked with few exceptions. You could tell the folks who got a good night's sleep along the way, others not so much. Overall all of the rally participants looked much better than I expected.

-MD

Putting in the bonuses listed on his score card plus Madawaska, 7143. He's playing head games with someone
;)
I didn't hear it from him, I couldn't find him, I think he was sleeping :) That being said, the rumor was rampant, not one but two Rally staff mentioned it to me, as well as a couple riders. It was dubious at best but hey... You take what info ya gets.

Above all, I was dully impressed with how good everyone looked with few exceptions. You could tell the folks who got a good night's sleep along the way, others not so much. Overall all of the rally participants looked much better than I expected.

-MD
So, doing the same exercise for other riders, did any of them get enough miles to snag corner two based on their collected bonii?

So, doing the same exercise for other riders, did any of them get enough miles to snag corner two based on their collected bonii?
That sounds like an excellent homework assignment for you! Let us know the results when you are done.

Looking thru the top 10 after leg #1, all have Oregon..... except one.

How is that going to play out on leg #3?...

It's a very long way from Oregon to Ontario CA......hmmmmm.

That sounds like an excellent homework assignment for you! Let us know the results when you are done.

Dammit! Did that to myself.

OK, so the shortest route to get Blaine, Madawaska and back to Cheektowaga is 4163, but that skips a lot of states and goes from Detroit through Canada. But, now I don't even have to look at the riders who rode less than 4163. That eliminates a few anyway.

More realistically, to snag all of the Leg 1 states, except PA, and get Madawaska, it would seem to take over 5100 miles. Even fewer that I have to look at. I'll save that for later. (Hopefully someone else can't wait and does the rest my homework. :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.