2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and to pick a nit, it says they've reduced the catalysers (sic) to 2 with a leader line pointing to the exhaust header. (Damn foreign marketing departments that can't spell.) Does that mean they used to have 4? Don't know; could've had 5, or 23 ..........
Maybe Extrememarine can cut open his trashed muffler and expose the internals to see what actually is inside a Gen II muffler??

... and to pick a nit, it says they've reduced the catalysers (sic) to 2 with a leader line pointing to the exhaust header. (Damn foreign marketing departments that can't spell.) Does that mean they used to have 4? Don't know; could've had 5, or 23 ..........
Maybe Extrememarine can cut open his trashed muffler and expose the internals to see what actually is inside a Gen II muffler??
Excellent idea!

That's easy. Muffles would be inside.

That's easy. Muffles would be inside.
See...even SkooterG doesn't think GEN 2s have cats inside the muffler. :p

Did they change the genII exhaust? I was under the impression the cats were upstream in the crossover area..
That's what the whole "Gen 2 cats in the muffler behind the real cats upstream of the crossover" discussion has been about.

Wayne can answer this question once and for all for the "Show Me and I'll believe it" crowd...on his wrecked muffler.

This is what happens when you come late to the party and don't read the whole thread.........

R
Sarcasm. Discussion starting around #506 about 4 catalytic converters vs. 2. "Reduced to 2" implies there were 4, but indeed, they could have had 5 or 23.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I like what I see but I can't believe nobody is bitching about the color choices and that Ruby-Red-Rootbeer? Wow! :eek:
What's to bitch about. It's all on par for Yamaha based on history. Oh, and that Ruby-Red-Rootbeer, and every other color in the spectrum is better than the brown we got in 07. :D

So far I like what I see but I can't believe nobody is bitching about the color choices and that Ruby-Red-Rootbeer? Wow! :eek:
What's to bitch about. It's all on par for Yamaha based on history. Oh, and that Ruby-Red-Rootbeer, and every other color in the spectrum is better than the brown Dr. Pepper we got in 07. :D
Yep...fixed!

What's to bitch about. It's all on par for Yamaha based on history. Oh, and that Ruby-Red-Rootbeer, and every other color in the spectrum is better than the brown we got in 07. :D
You losers. Its not brown. It's Black Cherry. Its like blood, but better!!

for those not paying attention.....

2013 parts catalogue is available....HERE

this is from someone else's thread, it looks like the stator is a new part number.

R

for those not paying attention.....

2013 parts catalogue is available....HERE

this is from someone else's thread, it looks like the stator is a new part number.

R
Let's hope besides a new part number it has a much higher output number as well. We can only hope...until Richard gets his bike and clues everybody in. :clapping:

In addition to an upgraded stator an upgraded rectifier/regulator is likely needed for a significant bump in amperage.

The part# of the 2012 R/R is 1D7-81960-00.

The part# of the 2013 R/R is 1D7-81960-01.

One can speculate whether the change is minor or significant. The R1's R/R is the same -01 part#. New stator likely doesn't have a boosted output.

It appears they've moved the R/R back to the front of the bike close to its location on the Gen I bikes.

Also noticed there's only one horn on the 2013. Get that weight down!

Also noticed they've changed the camshafts and intake valves. The intake and exhaust cams have slightly different part#'s now. Both cams were identical before. They obviously have tweaked the engine's performance a bit. Also a new part# for the chain tensioner. Haven't quite got it right yet!

They also have two circuits fused with 1 amp fuses. Don't recall seeing 1 amp fuses on the earlier models.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it seems that 5th gear is the same ratio as before.
Amazing! Yet another case of Yamaha marketing disinformation. From the Yamaha Canada website:

"Revised, wide ratio 5-speed transmission utilizes widely spaced gear ratios for relaxed long-distance sport touring performance combined with seamless acceleration. 5th gear is an overdrive gear to reduce rpms at highway speeds. A new gear machining method is used on selected gears to reduce transmission noise. "

And it seems that 5th gear is the same ratio as before.
Amazing! Yet another case of Yamaha marketing disinformation. From the Yamaha Canada website:

"Revised, wide ratio 5-speed transmission utilizes widely spaced gear ratios for relaxed long-distance sport touring performance combined with seamless acceleration. 5th gear is an overdrive gear to reduce rpms at highway speeds. A new gear machining method is used on selected gears to reduce transmission noise. "
Perhaps we've all just assumed that the comment about 5th being overdrive was new? Maybe that was what happened in 2006 when they dropped the overall gear train by a few percentage point - and the revision they're referring has to do with comments I've seen about new gear machining and a change to the way the dogs are undercut?