2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it seems that 5th gear is the same ratio as before.
Amazing! Yet another case of Yamaha marketing disinformation. From the Yamaha Canada website:

"Revised, wide ratio 5-speed transmission utilizes widely spaced gear ratios for relaxed long-distance sport touring performance combined with seamless acceleration. 5th gear is an overdrive gear to reduce rpms at highway speeds. A new gear machining method is used on selected gears to reduce transmission noise. "
Perhaps we've all just assumed that the comment about 5th being overdrive was new? Maybe that was what happened in 2006 when they dropped the overall gear train by a few percentage point - and the revision they're referring has to do with comments I've seen about new gear machining and a change to the way the dogs are undercut?
I think your right, but they should just not print stuff like that when a new model comes out. I don't know if they ever touted it in 06 when the gen II changes were made. I might be wrong on that ,but after 7 years why bring it up like it's something they just did. As they say on shark tank. "I'm Out" (I Think)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your right, but they should just not print stuff like that when a new model comes out. I don't know if they ever touted it in 06 when the gen II changes were made. I might be wrong on that ,but after 7 years why bring it up like it's something they just did. As they say on shark tank. "I'm Out" (I Think)
I agree, it appears that Yamaha's marketing department is touting prior years' improvements for the 2013 model. It also appears, after reading other comments about the 2013 FJR and the new Trophy, that we may have been too critical of Ash's opinion that the FJR's handling isn't as good as the Trophy. Lets face it, there is a reason that so many of us have upgraded the suspension on both ends but hopefully the new spring rates and damping will be an improvement over prior models.

Hey folks, Mid Ohio Yamaha will have one of these babies in the showroom in

December. When I know what date for sure, I will let you know. Oh, and by the way, I now work there, so the info is from the horses mouth.
I was told the first week or two of November you guys would get one in. Jim must be jerkin my chain. ;)

Thiels and All Seasons are expecting theirs in December. The service manager for the Fair Oaks Dealer up near Cleveland has staked his claim on their first arrival.

A dealer in northwest Tennessee has told me they may have an FJR by the first week in November if they ship when they're scheduled. They've ordered a demo unit which should be arriving in the first wave.

A salesman at Dreyer, one of the oldest dealerships located in Indianapolis, said that they expect three models to hit their showroom before the end of this month.

Well, my wife and I were out enjoying a late season ride here in southern Ontario today when we pull into a Tim's to grab a coffee and warm up a bit. As we walk across the parking lot, I notice what appears to be an FJR, but the windshield bracket doesn't look right and I don't recognize the colour. Well, when I get up to the bike, lo and behold, it's the 2013 FJR. Talk about a huge surprise! After checking the bike out for a bit, we go inside and strike up a conversation with the rider. Turns out to be a journalist with Motorcycle Mojo magazine. He tells us that the bike is one of only two in Canada at the moment and he had just picked it up in Niagara Falls Friday night. He's only been able to put on about 500 km on the bike so far, but he said he was pretty impressed with it so far. He said he hasn't ridden an FJR in a few years, but was really enjoying it. Didn''t get a chance to talk for too long as he was about ready to head out when we arrived. Guess I'll have to get a subscription to the magazine and see what more he has to say about it in his review. Unfortunately didn't think to get a photo until after he left! :(

.......and see what more he has to say about it in his review. Unfortunately didn't think to get a photo until after he left! :(
Don't sweat it Geosci, your drunken Ontario Compadres will go to the Toronto Motorcycle Show and they won't get a pic either. Because Tom, Bill, Steve and Ray won't leave the damn bar in the Convention Centre! If you want something done right Nord du Ligne, you have to send that Canuck FJRPierre to do the damn photo job!

Hey Bungie, did you notice I spelt "Centre" correctly?

Went to the dealer this morning to check on the status of the new bike....they had one in but unfortunately it was hanging on the fence......

file-7.jpg

R

Didn't read all 40 pages but I did search the thread and the subject didn't come up but it's looking like the California Highway Patrol may be sporting the new FJR since the Kawi Concourse is now officially a dead dog as an LEO Motor platform. The buzz is they're in, they're just waiting on Yamaha to cross some T's and dot some I's, and Jerry Brown to approve the spending. It's still buzz but comes from a previously reliable CHP source.
That's fascinating, since the C14 in police trim is the cool bike to have in Oregon right now- Portland PD is about 50-50 C14s and R12RTs right now, and is working on useful crash bars that don't reduce cornering clearance.

Latest info that Ashonbikes "Kev" got out of Yamaha

For whatever it's worth....

https://www.ashonbikes.com/forum/yamaha-fjr1300?page=2

Okay, I've been chatting with Yamaha and have some answers to various questions. Regarding the plated bores, the difference with the new model is the cylinders are now all aluminium, the process is what they call direct plated sleeveless cylinders. The aluminium around the bore is first hardened, then the plating is applied. This is already done with the R6 and R1, but it's the first time for the FJR1300. All previous FJR models had plated bores (not just from 2005/6 onwards), but this was applied to steel sleeves within the aluminium block.

I don't know where the information came from that fifth gear is now taller, as several people seemed quite sure about that, but it's definitely not. In fact the gearbox ratios haven't been changed since the first model in 2001, although the secondary drive ratio changed in 2006 from 2.773 to 2.698.

The various forums (fora?) which have been slating me for a review that's riddled with errors will now of course all be putting their hands up and readily apologising. Oh, and the Pope has converted to Islam.

And this was posted too-

ndivita wrote:

Mr. Ash I too would like to know if the electrical output of the bike has been enhanced.

KevAshreplied: No, there's been no change to the electrical charging system, so if anyone found it inadequate before, then it still will be.

Not believing everything I read on the internet......

“The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine.” - Abraham Lincoln
The Internet was around during Lincoln's time???? Wow, the Internet is great...I learn something new every day! :p

Hey folks, Mid Ohio Yamaha will have one of these babies in the showroom in

December. When I know what date for sure, I will let you know. Oh, and by the way, I now work there, so the info is from the horses mouth.
I was told the first week or two of November you guys would get one in. Jim must be jerkin my chain. ;)

Thiels and All Seasons are expecting theirs in December. The service manager for the Fair Oaks Dealer up near Cleveland has staked his claim on their first arrival.

My bad, It looks like around the middle of November per the Kevin. When it comes in I will post.

"The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Unfortunately, you're spreading misinformation. What Lincoln actually said, in a speech he gave at a memorial service for Steve Jobs, was, "You can believe some of the internet all of the time, but you can't believe all of the internet all of the time."