2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the first picture above it looks like the front fender is flat black, is it not painted?
From what I've seen in other pics, it's a darker, flat gray(or whatever color?)

With that "flat" paint, surely the '13 will be slower than all previous generations caused by the additional friction of the wind against that matte surface! :p

Wabill, what did you think of the color of the new bike as you seen it in person?

With that "flat" paint, surely the '13 will be slower than all previous generations caused by the additional friction of the wind against that matte surface! :p

Bzzzt!! Wrong answer, but thanks for playing. :p

Aerodynamics (fluid dynamics) are a funny thing. Some things are completely counter intuitive. This is one of those things. A rougher surface will actually have less drag than a smooth one.

Why? Because with a rough surface a small boundary layer of air (or fluid) gets trapped in the surface's roughness which subsequently makes it slip through the stationary air with less friction. A smoother surface actually comes into closer contact with the air it is is trying to move through. This is the reason that golf balls have dimples. If they were completely smooth they would not fly nearly as far (nor as straight) as they do.

That's your one thing learned for today! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerodynamics (fluid dynamics) are a funny thing. Some things are completely counter intuitive. This is one of those things. A rougher surface will actually have less drag than a smooth one.

Why? Because with a rough surface a small boundary layer of air (or fluid) gets trapped in the surface's roughness which subsequently makes it slip through the stationary air with less friction. A smoother surface actually comes into closer contact with the air it is is trying to move through. This is the reason that golf balls have dimples. If they were completely smooth they would not fly nearly as far (nor as straight) as they do.

Fred...yer smart and all...but not as smart as Alan...and even he adds linked references to his statements of fact. ;)

I'll believe it when I see the faked Youtube video. :D

That and the cats in the gen 2 mufflers...

What's wrong with flat black anyway?

081.jpg

DSCN0280.jpg

Fred...yer smart and all...but not as smart as Alan...and even he adds linked references to his statements of fact. ;)

I'll believe it when I see the faked Youtube video. :D

That and the cats in the gen 2 mufflers...
FredW is correct! Back in the "day", I used to race Hobie Cat sailboats. We ALWAYS sanded our rudders (2 of them) to a satin finish, rather than a gloss finish, because there was less friction on the rudders in the water with a satin finish. Not only created LESS drag, but the boats steered better, too, because the rudders were more effective.

During a race, especially on a high-wind tack, you could look at other boats and tell who polished to a glass-like finish, and who sanded to a satin finish. A mirror-like smooth finish on the rudders would actually cause cavitation at the high (for a sailboat) speeds, where enough air is being sucked in below the waterline that a pocket of air would form around the rudders, effectively disabling them. You could watch it happen...a boat is on a hard tack, hauling ass, try to complete the tack and change direction, and the boat would veer off the course as the direction of the wind overcame any resistance the rudders had in the water and suddenly, the steering disappeared.

My boy Fred is wicked smaht!!

Thanks for the lesson Fred :thumbsup:

So that must be why Harley offers some of their bikes in the matte (or "Denim" as they call it), so they're faster that way?? :p

A smoother surface actually comes into closer contact with the air it is is trying to move through. This is the reason that golf balls have dimples. If they were completely smooth they would not fly nearly as far (nor as straight) as they do.
Hmmm.. Wonder how far me nuts would fly if I whacked 'em with a golf klub? :blink: Prolly have to leave 'em in the sack right?

Since nobody's seen the '13 yet, it's hard to say, but the same mount fits both Gens out there now. It's just about the spacing of the two mirror posts. Don't know why Yamaha would change that for the new bikes. And if it's different for some reason, drill a new hole.