2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe in Gen 3.1 they will ship with the updated AE suspension? Or maybe they will come out with an A+ version.
From your mouth to Gods ears My Friend! :) That's what I'll be waiting for. You know it's gonna happen. The demand will build and they'll have no choice. Whatever bugs there might be will have been taken care of by then. :clapping:

My ONLY concern with the beautiful Gen3 model is the electronics.

If the same ham-fisted electron monkeys that helped engineer the blasphemous Gen II had anything to do with the design or execution of the Gen3, then all bets are off.

Are the recall notices already pre-written, waiting to me mailed out to new owners? I hope not!
Wait a minute there. I thought all you die-hard Gen I Chicken Littles have already officially endowed the Gen III with your all-knowing dispensation. Let's see, the Gen II issues took, HOW LONG, to get sorted? I bought my '08 in 2009 and the spider issue wasn't evident until well after that. So, 4 years or so on that one...

Now, we have TWO WHOLE FORUM members with the Gen III, who are still figuring out which buttons to push, and it is already deemed the only worthy successor for you.

I myself would love to get a Gen III and probably will in a few years, once the INEVITABLE gremlins have been identified and solved by those lucky enough to get the bikes now.

....And I think you have even Gen 1 owners (like myself) that would totally be willing to switch to this particular incarnation.
Maybe until more dirt comes out, then it will give clear leverage for the cheap-ass G1 mofo's who are riding the fence anyway saying... "hmmm $16K, really?" :rolleyes:

If I didn't drink the other guys Kool-Aid, I would certainly have a G3 on my radar and that $16K now sounds quite reasonable. haha!
I'm wondering if you can cancel the order for the Beemer. ;)
Maybe if the G3 had more model separation from my G2 like a newly devised and smooooother firebanger (mainly with more torque), then possibly? ....Naaa, it's still lacking lots of goodies I'm wanting like digital tire pressure monitor, built in (and handlebar controlled) GPS, both d/p heated seats, HID & full LED lighting, overall electronics like BT, XM n radio and a lot more (not to mention the suspension). So the G3 is still not even close IMO and shouldn't be ($$$ speaking) BUT the price tag on the G3 is just so very, very attractive! Thats-alotta-funn for only 16K and I am truly a G3 fan. :)

If the same ham-fisted electron monkeys that helped engineer the blasphemous Gen II had anything to do with the design or execution of the Gen3, then all bets are off.

Are the recall notices already pre-written, waiting to me mailed out to new owners? I hope not!
Wait a minute there. I thought all you die-hard Gen I Chicken Littles have already officially endowed the Gen III with your all-knowing dispensation. Let's see, the Gen II issues took, HOW LONG, to get sorted? I bought my '08 in 2009 and the spider issue wasn't evident until well after that. So, 4 years or so on that one...

Now, we have TWO WHOLE FORUM members with the Gen III, who are still figuring out which buttons to push, and it is already deemed the only worthy successor for you.

I myself would love to get a Gen III and probably will in a few years, once the INEVITABLE gremlins have been identified and solved by those lucky enough to get the bikes now.
I am with you Spud. Though I am hoping for my friends sake that Yammie did a better job this time around from the outset.

Yes, Skooter. We die hard GEN II owners need to stick together! We're so happy to have you on our side! :p

History is a harsh mistress...YOU may have not been aware of the spider problems "until well after" 2009, but I easily found a January 2009 reference to one of the longer struggles with the Gen IIs crappy electrical system right HERE.

Your context is ALL wrong...it's not a "worthy successor for (us)"...it's a "worthy successor for the basic Yamaha FJR model that has been causing heartburn and headaches since 2006". Call us Gen I guys Chicken Littles all you want, but the VAST number of never-ending Gen II issues, problems and potentially life-threatening "design features" has been documented on this forum for 7 freaking years. I'll gladly accept the descriptor of "Chicken Little" if you'll accept the fact that we get to call the majority of you Gen II guys "Cleopatra - Queen of Denial".

Trust me, if the same kind of crap begins with the Gen3 that apparently was designed in to the Gen II starts to rear its ugly head, we "Chicken Littles" will have just as much fun rubbing it in their noses as we've had with the seemingly endless string of Gen II retard deniers. :p

History is a harsh mistress...YOU may have not been aware of the spider problems "until well after" 2009, but I easily found a January 2009 reference to one of the longer struggles with the Gen IIs crappy electrical system right HERE.

Trust me, if the same kind of crap begins with the Gen3 that apparently was designed in to the Gen II starts to rear its ugly head, we "Chicken Littles" will have just as much fun rubbing it in their noses as we've had with the seemingly endless string of Gen II retard deniers. :p
Ah Yes Folks, isn't the new Gentler, Kinder and More Refined RadioHowie just a breath of fresh air from the old Grumpy, Caustic and Pissed Off RH! "Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss!"

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG..I have a '13 on order...what have I done? :dribble:

I wonder if Karma has something to do with it? The last bike I had problems with was a 1981 shaft drive Suzuki GS650G when I broke a driveshaft gear in half from doing one too many burnouts.

I never have problems with my bikes and I ride a fair amount, 7.5K/ year. I have 40K on my '08 C14, other than losing a couple exhaust nuts it's been perfect. In 39K on my '05 FJR I only had a fork seal go bad.

That's why I'm buying another one.

:p
Ah, yes, I stand completely and utterly corrected. I'll revise my "4 years or so" to 3 years (2006 model, 2009 post). And I'm happy my character reference struck a nerve! Now, return to your regularly scheduled activity (pictured below) :p

chicken-little.gif

OMG..I have a '13 on order...what have I done? :dribble:

I wonder if Karma has something to do with it? The last bike I had problems with was a 1981 shaft drive Suzuki GS650G when I broke a driveshaft gear in half from doing one too many burnouts.

I never have problems with my bikes and I ride a fair amount, 7.5K/ year. I have 40K on my '08 C14, other than losing a couple exhaust nuts it's been perfect. In 39K on my '05 FJR I only had a fork seal go bad.

That's why I'm buying another one.
I hear ya. I have 86K on my 2008 model...ZERO problems. I still have 11 months of extended warranty left, and have yet to use it. Go figure. ;)

Call us Gen I guys Chicken Littles all you want, but the VAST number of never-ending Gen II issues, problems and potentially life-threatening "design features" has been documented on this forum for 7 freaking years.
"LIFE THREATENING 'design features??'"

That's the biggest load of bullshit I've heard in a long time. Give me a break. Show me a valid instance where one bike was even dropped because of anything "wrong" with a GenII. You can't.

Just like all of today's vehicles, they are complex mechanical and electrical machines. Perfection is a worthy goal, but hard to reach. Seems though that 99% of them have been just fine.

Mine never had a problem, just like most others. You should go sell your snake oil somewhere else...Take your FJR with the replaced engine with you.

I know I love what they have done with the 13.

I am still worried about what they have not done. Namely wiring issues. I have a 10 and for some unknown reason they did not recall those on the spiders. Same gauge wire as the other Gen II, same spiders. Just not enough failures to report and get a recall done is what I believe.

I think the 13 is a great improvement if they followed through on the wiring. If not it is still a Spider Bite waiting to happen. I believe I read they upgraded the output of the electrical system and if they did not upgrade the wiring gauge it is going to get ugly fast.

Yes they are using the technology of the Tenera in the riding modes so we will see how that pans out. I have not heard any complaints on that from the two owners I know who are racking miles on them.

Also seems the R1 was used for the throttle by wire, but it would have been nice if they used the cross-plane motor too!

I want one but not enough to beta test one with a 25,000 mile 10 under me and paid off. I have it where I like it and have no desire to start again on a new Gen III. The cost of farkels is a big consideration above and beyond the cost of the bike alone.

I am a bit envious of the two who have them but I am not ready to let go of my 10 and take the hit I will from what I paid for it. And if farkels will not fit, there is no relief there in swapping parts out. However from what I have read the Russel will fit and that is big money right there, and probably the most important.

Look forward to hearing the experiences as the two Gen III guys get along with miles and time on their new Gen III's.

Call us Gen I guys Chicken Littles all you want, but the VAST number of never-ending Gen II issues, problems and potentially life-threatening "design features" has been documented on this forum for 7 freaking years.
Off Topic: RadioHowie you have to remember for HotRodZilla a household mirror is a LIFE THREATENING feature, if I had 'Zillas totally fucked up ugly mug my heart would go into cardiac arrest just by looking into a damned mirror also!

On Topic: The million dollar question is going to be if there are "spider" problems or not with the Gen III. Luckily, with both Warchild and Fairlaner being High Mileage Warriors we will soon have an answer to that issue! I Love the Gen III!

Last edited by a moderator:

That's the biggest load of bullshit I've heard in a long time. Give me a break. Show me a valid instance where one bike was even dropped because of anything "wrong" with a GenII. You can't.

Just like all of today's vehicles, they are complex mechanical and electrical machines. Perfection is a worthy goal, but hard to reach. Seems though that 99% of them have been just fine.

Mine never had a problem, just like most others. You should go sell your snake oil somewhere else...Take your FJR with the replaced engine with you.
The NHTSA does not typically require manufacturers to go through recalls unless they determine that a particular known issue may result in a life threatening situation. The 2nd gen FJRs have had two major recalls and a minor one: The two wiring issues (ignition switch and ground spiders) could result in sudden loss of engine power in traffic, which they must consider potentially life threatening. I'm not sure why the ECU recall went through as it was more of an inconvenience than anything.

In the name of complete disclosure,. the 1st gens did have a recall too, for the TPS, which was also a life threatening situation in traffic. Funny thing about that one is that the TPS issue affects a lot of other makes and models of fuel injected bikes. They all seem to use the same TPS sensors. My V-strom was afflicted by it until I replaced the sensor myself. I'm not aware of any other manufacturers that were recalled besides Yamaha.

Listen-up, toolbox....read FredW's reply right above this reply. Saves me a bunch of writing and 'splains what "life threatening" means, but I'd have to disagree with Fred on one thing...the ECU recall -- drive up a mountain and your bike could stop running -- I'd consider that more than an inconvenience. It could certainly be considered "life threatening".

Gosh, you're an argumentative bitch sometimes. You married? Wife ever try to kill you in your sleep?