2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall, I decry the loss of the AE model from the FJR lineup in 2012 and beyond.

See you on the highway!

Granger
If Yamaha were to offer a dual clutch model, like the one used in Honda's VFR1200 and NC700X, I would have ordered it but it seems dual clutch in bikes is ahead of its time. Dual clutch is on the cutting edge and is technology transferred from Formual One cars. Forumula One cars have done away with the traditional clutch pedal and do all their shifting with steering wheel paddles. I tried it on a VFR1200, with DC tranny, you can upshift and downshift faster than a traditional tranny, and when tooting around town in stop and go traffic, put it in full automatic mode and let the bike shift for you. The only downside is added cost and a bit more weight.

Given the poor sales of the AE in the US, I doubt Yamaha will bring it back. The Yamaha rep that I talked to at the bike show said they MIGHT bring in the electronic suspension version without AE in 2014.. and that was a big maybe.

I'm all for less complication and more reliability, so I have made the switch from a GS to a SuperTenere and now from a K1600 to a Gen III FJR!! :)

Didnt know where else to put this...didnt want to start a new thread.

I was going to move the handlebars figuring they were installed in the middle position I want them all the way back). No problem. Took about 15 minutes on my '09.

WRONG.

Underneath the facia plate are the main bolts to loosen the handlebars...and theyre some sort or hybrid hex thingy. Kinda strange. In the manual too it says to change them have a Yamaha mechanic do it.

Hmmm.

I was going to move the handlebars figuring they were installed in the middle position I want them all the way back). No problem. Took about 15 minutes on my '09.

WRONG.

Underneath the facia plate are the main bolts to loosen the handlebars...and theyre some sort or hybrid hex thingy. Kinda strange. In the manual too it says to change them have a Yamaha mechanic do it.

Hmmm.
The manual for our '07 also said to have the Yamaha mechanic move the bars. I was scared to fool with them. Then I read how to do it here, on this forum. As you say, less than 15 minutes. Please let us know how you resolve this issue.

WRONG.

Hmmm.
The manual for our '07 also said to have the Yamaha mechanic move the bars. I was scared to fool with them. Then I read how to do it here, on this forum. As you say, less than 15 minutes. Please let us know how you resolve this issue.
I think its just a matter of finding the correct male fitting. Its not hex. Its not torx. Its kinda hex with round edges. Ive never seen it before.

I'm all for less complication and more reliability, so I have made the switch from a GS to a SuperTenere and now from a K1600 to a Gen III FJR!!
smile.png

Now YOU are a smart feller!!!

I think its just a matter of finding the correct male fitting. Its not hex. Its not torx. Its kinda hex with round edges. Ive never seen it before.
A picture is worth a thousand words.............

Dual clutch is on the cutting edge and is technology transferred from Formual One cars. Forumula One cars have done away with the traditional clutch pedal and do all their shifting with steering wheel paddles.
BZZZZZZZZT!!!!!!!!!

Formula One cars are semi-auto but not dual-clutch. Whacking the paddle does all the same operations a standard manual transmission uses to shift: release the clutch, change gears, engage the clutch, with required engine RPM adjustment made automatically as well. They use a single multi-plate clutch.

The Formula One system is closer to the AE system. No dual clutch, just semi-automatic operation. (FJR content, see?)

(And semi-automatic means it all happens automatically at the touch of a switch, but only when commanded by the operator, no self-shifting allowed.)

I like it, but I'm going to have to wait a few years for them to change color. No way would I buy a gray bike. I have enough trouble with people pulling out in front of me as it is. The last thing I need is a bike in a color that fades right into the asphalt!
What difference does the color make to someone who pulls out in front of you since they ignore the two FUCKING BRIGHT HEADLIGHTS shining in their eyes anyway????
Precisely my experience!! An on-coming motorcycle's color is not very visable to the cage driver. Good lights and bright color garments is the most effective deterrant. As for the white helmet, I have heard it tends to make the cage drivers think it may by a police officer. For what that's worth. Those Harley vibrator riders like to claim they like loud pipes to alert cagers they are coming. It is my experience, an on-coming moktorcycle's noise is not well heard in a car with the windows up and radio on. Ie; the noise tends to follow not preceed a moving object.

Is that panel just below the radiator a flat black material? If yes, great change!!
Might be. I've enhanced the picture a bit to try to bring out any colour there, doesn't seem to be any.

(Click on image for larger view)

Just looks very dark, so probably black.

It's not flat black, it looks painted, here's another pic, I hope the north american market will be spared this color scheme in the future.

i-trqPxwW-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gear noise is nothing new on FJRs. Balancers are straight-cut gears at engine speed, all tranny gears are straight-cut.

If it bothers you, wear earplugs, get louder cans, or both.
smile.png

Gear noise is nothing new on FJRs. Balancers are straight-cut gears at engine speed, all tranny gears are straight-cut.

If it bothers you, wear earplugs, get louder cans, or both.
smile.png
Yah in aware of that...my 09 whined between 60-65 too just seems the 13 us louder. No biggie just wondering.

Any other gen3 owners notice allot of gear noise between 60-65 regardless if in 4th or 5th?
Has anybody tried different oils such as rotella T 15-40 or castrol GTX 10-40 to reduce the noise?

I do not want to start an oil thread. Just thought a different oil might reduce the noise.