2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I have ever locked my rear tire on my fjr on a down shift. I have on other bikes without slipper clutches though. I'm mostly looking forward to the color, new LED tail and headlights and being able to set my cruise over 80.

I was there too Petey. I liked the bike. Love the cobalt blue, but wish they were a little more inventive with the colors. So in 12 years we have had versions of Silver, Black, and Blue. Don't know why they snuck the red in on us, but I liked it just because it was different than the norm.

GP

I was there too Petey. I liked the bike. Love the cobalt blue, but wish they were a little more inventive with the colors. So in 12 years we have had versions of Silver, Black, and Blue. Don't know why they snuck the red in on us, but I liked it just because it was different than the norm.
GP
You forgot about the best color, the 07 Black Cherry!

1st and 2nd gears TALLER? Tell me it ain't so...... ruined the perfect 5 speed...... Bass Bote Blue again? Oh well, it will be interesting to kick the tires and find a Yammy test ride......
My discussion with the guy at our recent "Motorcycle Show", states the transmission has been "re-spaced"(my term, not his). But, the overall final drive ratio(top gear, rear wheel ratio), is not changed. I kinda' thought that when owners squawked about a 6th, they probably expected a cruise rpm reduction. I have no idea if the "Motorcycle Show" guy is 1) wrong. 2) right. 3) doesn't know 4) other.

Personally, I always thought my G2 FJR was geared just fine. But, I also know that even if any bike will run 75 mph @ 1,200 rpm, someone will be bitching about adding a higher final drive ratio, I guess it's human nature.

Nah, that guy was wrong. The actual ratios have been spelled out in a few posts earlier in the thread. The total gear ratio is taller in 6th gear than it was previously in 5th. Your highway cruise rpm will be lower in 6th than it was in 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the highway rpm was not lowered with the addition of the 6th gear, what would be the point of adding another gear? People just want to shift more?

1st and 2nd gears TALLER? Tell me it ain't so...... ruined the perfect 5 speed...... Bass Bote Blue again? Oh well, it will be interesting to kick the tires and find a Yammy test ride......
My discussion with the guy at our recent "Motorcycle Show", states the transmission has been "re-spaced"(my term, not his). But, the overall final drive ratio(top gear, rear wheel ratio), is not changed. I kinda' thought that when owners squawked about a 6th, they probably expected a cruise rpm reduction. I have no idea if the "Motorcycle Show" guy is 1) wrong. 2) right. 3) doesn't know 4) other.

Personally, I always thought my G2 FJR was geared just fine. But, I also know that even if any bike will run 75 mph @ 1,200 rpm, someone will be bitching about adding a higher final drive ratio, I guess it's human nature.
Nah, that guy was wrong. The actual ratios have been spelled out in a few posts earlier in the thread. The total gear ratio is taller in 6th gear than it was previously in 5th. Your highway cruise rpm will be lower in 6th than it was in 5th.
Fred is right, motor show guy is wrong.
Look back here, here and here for gearing comparisons.

I've been hoping that Yamaha would spike the FJR with a bit better acceleration performance (real or perceived) but it looks like the new gears will actually slow performance a small amount. This may sell me a leftover '15 with a color I really don't prefer. Or, a lightly used '14.

I've been hoping that Yamaha would spike the FJR with a bit better acceleration performance (real or perceived) but it looks like the new gears will actually slow performance a small amount. This may sell me a leftover '15 with a color I really don't prefer. Or, a lightly used '14.
Alan,

You could keep the 04 for the drag racing runs...and get the 16 for the CROSS COUNTRY runs you and wifey will be doing.

Come join Louanne and I in BC in July...

(Edit: You will enjoy the Gen3...at least I am.)

The 1st and 2nd gears are barely different. (1.33% higher and 3% higher respectively), 3rd is identical. Doubt you'll notice any difference in acceleration.

Those increases are vs the 2nd Gens, not to his 1st Gen with lower middle gear ratio, plus the increased porkiness of the 2nd/3rd Gens to 1st Gens. I think the acceleration change will be measurable.

But I don't care because I didn't buy my FJR for the dragstrip.

I want a sport bike, Helen would prefer a touring bike. The FJR was a good compromise at the time. I wasn't really impressed with the acceleration of my V-Max. Wonder how Helen would like to tour on a BMW S1000RR
wink.png

As Fred Sez, going from Gen I to Gen X, I'll probably notice the difference. When I ride alone I use all the throttle in the lower gears all the time (and get ~34-36 mpg), I'm an obnoxious aggressive rider. I have ridden a '14 and found it acceptable and liked the highway feel.

Those increases are vs the 2nd Gens, not to his 1st Gen with lower middle gear ratio, plus the increased porkiness of the 2nd/3rd Gens to 1st Gens. ...
True, missed that. But if a Gen 2 is acceptable, so should a Gen 3 and a Gen 3.6 (or however we're meant to differentiate
mda.gif

I suppose you could always put a smaller section tyre on
wink.png

Or for similar money, a lightly used '13 with a new custom paint job designed by you!

I have a couple thoughts on year model/color and they are polar opposites.

1. The FJR is such a wonderful platform that any year, any Gen, any color, it is all irrelevant. They are all wonderful.

2. If I am spending MY (wife's) money on a motorcycle that I want rather than need, I am going to buy EXACTLY what the hell I want. I have loved every year and every color of the FJR. I have been overwhelmed twice. 2007 and 2015 were the two colors that I could not resist. Why spend that much money and get a color that you do not like?

IF I were in the market for a new bike there is no doubt the 2016 would be The One. A fantastic color, some interesting updates, and knowing that you are riding the latest and greatest... What is not to love about the 2016? I am not quite jealous of the 2016 because I am so infatuated with my '15 but I am excited and happy for those of you that are in line for the 2016. That bike is going to be great. I can hardly wait for the First Ride Reports of the '16 owners.

That guy at your local show was hired off the street corner to provide casual labor. Every review and the official Yamaha web site states the 6 the gear of taller than the prior Gen ll's 5th gear.