2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked, and Yamaha hasn't posted pricing yet. Guess they're still perusing the forums for the User Desire Factor. ;)

While at the Yamaha display booth at the Cleveland International MC show on Saturday, I spotted several Yamaha Execs standing and observing the interest in the FJR...pricing is supposed to be out today sometime.

While at the Yamaha display booth at the Cleveland International MC show on Saturday, I spotted several Yamaha Execs standing and observing the interest in the FJR...pricing is supposed to be out today sometime.
I hope you walked over and said, "what a piece of shit!", loud enough so they could hear it, right? ;)

Had I been in Ohio for the show, I'd have been asking them to cut me a deal on one since it isn't in my garage yet.

I wonder why they're taking so long to announce the pricing? Also, my dealer says they still can't order one for me yet. I thought these were supposed to be in dealer showrooms in March--does anyone know if they're going to be on some sort of dealer allocation?

I wonder why they're taking so long to announce the pricing? Also, my dealer says they still can't order one for me yet. I thought these were supposed to be in dealer showrooms in March--does anyone know if they're going to be on some sort of dealer allocation?
I sent Yamaha a message today, asking what's taking so long...their response was "we will let you know as soon as pricing is available"

This does stimulate one's imagination, though. Not announcing the price is certainly delaying sales. Why? There should be no major changes in Yen currency values any time in the near future. Clearly, the cost of manufacturing has been established?

Maybe delaying the price is a way to delay the actual release of the bike because the bike is not ready to be released yet?

I sent Yamaha a message today, asking what's taking so long...their response was "we will let you know as soon as pricing is available"
So far the wait has been significantly less than the one for my early Gen I PDP.

This does stimulate one's imagination, though. Not announcing the price is certainly delaying sales. Why? There should be no major changes in Yen currency values any time in the near future. Clearly, the cost of manufacturing has been established?
Maybe delaying the price is a way to delay the actual release of the bike because the bike is not ready to be released yet?
Which comes first the chicken or the egg the motorcycle or the pricing? Or, do you need one to have the other? Or, maybe they can't release one without the other and one of the two isn't ready yet. Does Yamaha ship by boat or air freight? If they ship by boat and expect to have the '16 on shore and distributed across the country by March the boat had better be leaving the dock soon. Perhaps the FJR's can't complete assembly because some part is missing, say a newly designed LED lighting system. Perhaps Yamaha can't price the FJR yet because Yamaha can't tell the LED lighting provider how many units they expect to ship per month and how many years the current model will run so they can calculate volume discounts and arrive at a system price. Plus, this price and vehicle outage affects the flagship items, no FJR, no King Sport Bike and no V-Max yet. Could this be sales drama to pique interest? (At the risk of the 'immediate gratification' group jumping ship to BMW and Kawasaki?)

Gosh, figuring things out and drawing conclusions sure is fun with absolutely no facts or information to work from!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing all the pre-orders are not helping the pricing cause for the excited new owners.

I would love to have this bike, but like most things, I'll just wait 3-years and it will have the same pricing dynamic as every other FJR. Your lust will be a bargain handed down to me. There will even be some of these that will be low-miles and in exceptional condition, and perhaps some unsold inventory with 2017 rolls around. Meanwhile, I'd love to sit on your 2016 and make varoom varoom sounds.

I'm a cheap bastard, and you're welcome. JSNS.

Seems to be a US problem only, we have had pricing in Canada for a month and my dealer confirmed that my 2016ES will be arriving this month.

With the crazy weather we are having we might even be snow free.

...Gosh, figuring things out and drawing conclusions sure is fun with absolutely no facts or information to work from!
That's the fjrforum for you.
It is priced in the Netherlands in Euros, 1 Euro = $1.11 as I write this. But the European tax system is very different from the US system.

FJR1300A 18499

FJR1300AE 21499. (In the US this would be the FJR1300ES)

FJR1300AS 22499. (In the US this would be the FJR1300AE)

An "Explorer" version of each is available for extra cost, a Google translation from Dutch to English gives the description:

For 2010 Yamaha came out with an Explorer version in the colors Midnight Black. The Explorer was carrying a wider cockpit with a larger windshield, foot shields and spiegelverbreders to be better protected from the elements. In order to protect the tank and sides a and tankpad rollerprotectors were confirmed. The comfort was further enhanced by luxury inside bags in the luggage set and a custom made saddle with Explorer logo. The Explorer version was added the necessary electronics: a plug and play Yamaha charger, heated grips, seat heating with four modes that the pillion passenger is also separately adjustable in four positions, a Zumo 660 navigation system and a Cardo Q2 communications kit. In total, the Explorer package Yamaha according to a value of 3500, - have.

It is priced in the Netherlands in Euros, 1 Euro = $1.11 as I write this. But the European tax system is very different from the US system.

FJR1300A 18499

That's BMW pricing in this country...JSNS

I was mildly interested in the '16, more because of the paint color than the 6 speeds, which I don't think will add much to my 14ES, but am rapidly losing interest because of this silly game Yamaha is playing with the price and delivery schedule. If I am going to buy another motorcycle I don't need, it seems like I will get more fun out of something that is different than what I already have....like a KTM 1290 Super Adventure.

Mcatrophy and the Bugr (no pun intended, mate) make excellent points. My self-centered American personality was rearing its ugly face.

One would think that if Europe and Canada are ready to buy theirs, then it's not a delivery issue.

Aw shit - what difference does it make? Ain't no way it looks better than my '14. JSNS

I spoke with Gerald at D&H Cycle in Alabama yesterday. He thinks the price announcement will be Feb 16th unless it leaks sooner. Some kind of show in CA??

I also had a friend ask a local dealer of his in the Calgary area about Canadian pricing. The MSRP is $19,500 CAN, but his dealer quoted a price of $17,500. That's $12,450 US. Of course no warranty in the US if you go that route. You'd also have to pay CAN tax if you ride it out of the dealers showroom, then try to get back the CAN tax later. Then pay your State tax when you license it in the US. Going the broker route would add some shipping and brokerage fees, but no CAN tax. You still come out a couple grand ahead of even the best deal I've heard of in the State. Food for thought.....

FJR1300A 18499

That's BMW pricing in this country...JSNS
But we do get Yamaha reliability ;) .

Gosh, figuring things out and drawing conclusions sure is fun with absolutely no facts or information to work from!
That's the fjrforum for you.

FJR1300A 18499

An "Explorer" version of each is available for extra cost, a Google translation from Dutch to English gives the description:

For 2010 Yamaha came out with an Explorer version in the colors Midnight Black. The Explorer was carrying a wider cockpit with a larger windshield, foot shields and spiegelverbreders to be better protected from the elements. In order to protect the tank and sides a and tankpad rollerprotectors were confirmed. The comfort was further enhanced by luxury inside bags in the luggage set and a custom made saddle with Explorer logo. The Explorer version was added the necessary electronics: a plug and play Yamaha charger, heated grips, seat heating with four modes that the pillion passenger is also separately adjustable in four positions, a Zumo 660 navigation system and a Cardo Q2 communications kit. In total, the Explorer package Yamaha according to a value of 3500, - have.
First I've heard of an "Explorer" version. I get why they don't sell the AE in the US anymore, but I'd buy the Explorer version in a heartbeat, and I bet I'm not alone.

GaryK

I spoke with Gerald at D&H Cycle in Alabama yesterday. He thinks the price announcement will be Feb 16th unless it leaks sooner. Some kind of show in CA??
I also had a friend ask a local dealer of his in the Calgary area about Canadian pricing. The MSRP is $19,500 CAN, but his dealer quoted a price of $17,500. That's $12,450 US. Of course no warranty in the US if you go that route. You'd also have to pay CAN tax if you ride it out of the dealers showroom, then try to get back the CAN tax later. Then pay your State tax when you license it in the US. Going the broker route would add some shipping and brokerage fees, but no CAN tax. You still come out a couple grand ahead of even the best deal I've heard of in the State. Food for thought.....
I just participated in a similar topic on the Audi forum concerning the current price of an S8 Plus. MSRP of $151,000 USD, but MSRP in Canada is $177,000 CAD--at the current exchange rate of 0.69 that is only $122,000 USD! The problem is you can't buy one in Canada and get Audi to certify it for transfer to the US without paying tax and registering it in Canada among some other costly hoops you have to jump through that makes it unfeasible. The CAD has taken a real beating over the last year.