Altitude surging on 07 fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone that purchased an '07 from D&H gotten their take on this issue?
See page six.... AGirl has talked to them. I have not. But I did buy mine there. If it were spring I'd be callin them to get mine fixed.650 miles there... get bike fixed... take up Cherohola Skyway to "check the fix" then 800 miles home. But Winter is close so Local dealer it is.
See page six.... AGirl has talked to them. I have not. But I did buy mine there. If it were spring I'd be callin them to get mine fixed.650 miles there... get bike fixed... take up Cherohola Skyway to "check the fix" then 800 miles home. But Winter is close so Local dealer it is.

Thanks timalan...I wasn't sure what was finally trickling down to the dealers. I think real high of Jerrold and crew. If it appears the dealer is going to have to confirm, or be the point of success to get this resolved, I may just end up making a trip back myself. I may give them a call tomorrow just to check and see what they know.

Thanks again.

I talked to Steve at Yamaha today and he confirmed what I had already heard on the forum, to reiterate:

The fix is in its final design stages.

It will be at dealers in mid-Oct.

It will be a dealer modification, not a recall, no letters will be sent to owners.

Dealers will have a bulletin about it in mid-Oct.

He also said he would call my dealer (San Luis Motosports in San Luis Obispo, CA) and talk to them.

Sounds good to me! Without the surge I'll be one happy FJR rider.

Thanks timalan...I wasn't sure what was finally trickling down to the dealers. I think real high of Jerrold and crew. If it appears the dealer is going to have to confirm, or be the point of success to get this resolved, I may just end up making a trip back myself. I may give them a call tomorrow just to check and see what they know.

Thanks again.
Today I called my local dealer.

The guy I talked to on the weekend had not passed on MY information to the Service Manager who was out.

I did talk to the service Manager today. He said well what is the problem.... blah blah blah. I said here.... Call Steve at Yamaha Customer Service.... And then call me back.

He did call me back. Said middle of October. I have a work order# and We are waiting on the parts to arrive. I am Happy with the Service I am Getting at Sheps Cycles. And I am equally impressed by their attitude as I was with Jerrold and His Bunch. If I coulda Got a FJR local at a decent Price, I would have bought from these guys. And thanks to all here who Did Reserch and Posting Ideas on how to handle things etc... Great Job from Great Guys. Now I'll sit back and wait.... And hope.... that its a true fix.

Tim

I talked to Steve at Yamaha today and he confirmed what I had already heard on the forum, to reiterate:The fix is in its final design stages.

It will be at dealers in mid-Oct.

It will be a dealer modification, not a recall, no letters will be sent to owners.

Dealers will have a bulletin about it in mid-Oct.

He also said he would call my dealer (San Luis Motosports in San Luis Obispo, CA) and talk to them.

Sounds good to me! Without the surge I'll be one happy FJR rider.

***** FRIDAY APPOINTMENT FOR 'THE FIX' *****

I had a call from Yamaha today informing me that my 'FIX' was being shipped today and will be at my dealer in the SF Bay area tomorrow.

A few minutes later the call came in from my dealer confirming the shipping, and I have a Friday appt for the swap.

Just in time too - I leave for a trip to Death Valley, via Yosemite Saturday morning.

I'll make a post to let everyone know how she runs.

Happy In San Francisco,

Kirk

Is there a reference number used internally at Yamaha for the "Fix" that we can refer to when we contact our dealers?
TIA.

TIA,

I didn't use any reference number, just sent my dealers service manager a fax yesterday with a brief issue history, and requested a work order/service appt, and the calls came in today.

Kirk

Got a call from Bryan at Yamaha today said the new ECM is ready and he was going to call the local Yamaha shop and give them the part number to order. Called them but they did not call back. I hope it fixes it.

I had the new ECU put in my bike today.

I haven't had a chance to run it in the mountains today. I did ride a route that gave the FJR fits, with the original ECU, going to the dealers. I rode it again after getting the new ECU with no issues. So far, so good. I'll put it through the paces over the next week to see if it's the real deal.

thumbsup4kk.gif

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the dealer I've been working with to set up an appointment to get my ECU replaced and of course they new nothing about it, so I asked them to call Yamaha tech support.

They called me back and said all the ECUs in the country are spoken for, but they expect more next week. They asked me to check back next Wednesday.

The dealership guy said that Yamaha is NOT going to issue a recall and possibly not even a TSB.

Even though I had registered a written complaint with Yamaha some months back and spoke with someone in the customer service/support group and also had my dealer involved, I have had to keep on top of this. There appears to be no effort by Yamaha or the dealerships to contact people who have this issue.

You can see how this could happen. Yamaha doesn't send a TSM to the dealers, so the dealers don't know there is a problem/solution, so customers who are uneducated don't get thier bikes fixed.

My advice is to keep pestering Yamaha and your dealer.

I hooked up with a dealer today that seemed very interested in getting Yamaha to fix mine. He tried to place a call to them today, but was swamped with other tasks. He said he would give me a call when he knows something. I bought my '03 FJR from this dealer and he remembered me. He did offer that it sounded like something I could swap out myself, which I'm all for because I could do it at home and not have to leave it with them overnight or longer.

I haven't had a chance to run it in the mountains today. I did ride a route that gave the FJR fits, with the original ECU, going to the dealers. I rode it again after getting the new ECU with no issues. So far, so good. I'll put it through the paces over the next week to see if it's the real deal.

thumbsup4kk.gif

Cheers.
Thats great news!!! I haven't got a call yet. I all ready have a work order at the dealer.

So, Do you know what they changed to hopefully fix the problem????

Did anyone give you a real answer as to what they left out or had to add?

Cheers to TruWrecks for Starting this ball rolling.

Tim

I just talked to my dealer, and he told me Yamaha has not sent out the new ECUs yet. Kind of wondering if I am getting the runaround from him. I told him that other dealerships have gotten the units, and some have been installed already, he said no way. Maybe I need to find a different place to go.

I also want to change the ECU myself. just like RangerRay.

But to make sure they changed nothing else, can somebody (truWrecks??) tell us if the stock CO numbers are the same? And if there was anything else changed? And yes, there must be some kind of instructions there; at least the Yamaha guy (Steve) said so when mentioning it was part of the 'package' it was getting ready to ship to dealers.

Will PM him as well, and post the results here. We're close gentlemen; I can wait one more week... or two, no problem. Take care.

JC

I just got off the phone with Yamaha, spoke with a CS agent named Dianna. I had orignally logged my complaint with her and she seemed to know alot about the issue even back then. I told her that I "heard" there was a fix for our altitude surging, and asked if she could confirm this and if there was a TSB for this fix....

Her reply was: "There is still no official fix and as far as she knows no TSB has been created".

I'm anticipating a lot of challenges getting this fixed.... I bought my bike from "non local" dealer and going back to where I bought it from is not an option...

Just had to vent

Keone

I just got off the phone with Yamaha Customer Support and they said the fix is "done" and to call my dealer and let them know there is a tech bulletin on this fix for the FJR and to have them call Yamaha as the info is in a tech bulletin. I called the dealer, they will call Yamaha to check out the tech bulletin and order the part and will call me back to make the appointment to have the ECU swapped out on my 2006 FJR. I asked Yamaha Customer Service tech if I could install the ECU myself and they said no, it goes to the dealer. Dealer said 3 to 5 days. Also said, you can take your FJR to "any" dealer. Just have that dealer call Yamaha to confirm, order the part and set-up the appointment. PM. <>< :D

thumbsup4kk.gif

Cheers.
Now we'll all need to re-Barbarian mod them.....right?

According to my service tech the CO settings are the same. The bike runs like I think it should for a stock FJR. I did try to make it fail last night with NO luck. So far I can say the ECU is doing a better job.

Nothing else was replaced, just the ECU. The dealer said it was an "early production run" for the ECU, so Yamaha is still working on the supplies to get them out to the dealers. It will probably take a few weeks to get the amount produced and shipped for most of the known bikes that have complained about the surging.

I think it will be worth the wait. It looks like this ECU is handling pressure changes better than the original one. Those that have installed a Power Commander may want to adjust your fuel trim for smoother operation, but remove any changes that you made for surging symptoms.

I will do a few other tests in the next week. I'll report my findings as I can.