Another PAIR removal approach, wadyathink?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly, I've only seen 1 post about split Dorman caps, so that's not necessarily a consensus that they aren't reliable.
Mine split too with only a few rides this winter (brand new bike and brand new caps). My post about it is buried somewhere within the thread containing the initial complaint. I'm thinking the colder winter temperatures might have contributed to the quick failure.

If the dorman caps aren't working you could use the same plugs the factory uses. You will find one of the hoses in the pair system is already plugged, you can buy those plugs online for $6 a piece. $24 is cheap insurance
EDIT: Part # 5JW-14862-00-00 $5.74 each from extremepowersports, may be able to do better at forum preferred vendors.
I just happen to have 2 PAIR systems sitting around, so I gave your idea a try on 2 of my ports. There's enough hose and clamps provided with the PAIR system that you remove to make all 4 block-off caps; you just need to buy 3 more plugs (in my case, i only need 2 more :) ). I found the plugs at Cycle Parts Warehouse for $4.83 each, but shipping is more than the quoted link. For 2 plugs, the total including shipping was almost the same at both places (~$20). It'll probably be a bit cheaper at Cycle Parts Warehouse when ordering 3.

I like the result:

stock_caps.jpg

If you are the sort that just can't leave things alone, there is always block off plates. ELP_JC made a few sets a while back, I love mine.
Followed your link but saw no pics. Did you love yours enough to photograph them?
Ehh no, that would have been the smart thing to do. They look a great deal like the Blackbird ones in Warchilds photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gramps! You following this?
Gramps found this, even better thread: <Link>

Wicked Webby is pulling the parts off his already dissasembled Feej. I was going to make plates for Gramps, Webby and myself.

garauld, if you end up going into production on these, PM me and I'll send you a print or CAD model or whatever. What are you using Solidworks?

Wicked Webby is pulling the parts off his already dissasembled Feej. I was going to make plates for Gramps, Webby and myself.

garauld, if you end up going into production on these, PM me and I'll send you a print or CAD model or whatever. What are you using Solidworks?
I would be interested in making some of these up also. If you could send me some info PM me. I can take igs dxf dwg or solid works viewer.

Thanks,

Yup, I am using SW 2006 or Inventor 2008. An IGES file would work fine. Let me see what you are thinking of. I'll be 08FJR4ME can crank them out faster than I can as he has CNC toys...

I would be interested in making some of these up also. If you could send me some info PM me. I can take igs dxf dwg or solid works viewer.

Thanks,
CNC the Yamaha logo in the two outside plates and "FJR" in the wider, middle plate, and I'd bet they'd sell like hotcakes!

Put me down for a set...as long as they're under $1000, okay? :)

Have to take the money out of my super-secret lunch money account the old lady don't know nutthin' about. :ph34r:

[SIZE=8pt]edit to add: Chrome would be nice. :) [/SIZE]

I'm following & I'm in for however they get produced. B)

I sent a PM to CMB and tried to PM ELP_JC, but the PM to ELP_JC returned this message:

"This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger."

I figured is was the polite thing to do :dntknw: It seemed to me that they were the first ones making these things. Maybe they are interested in making more.

08FJR4ME, If someone on the forum has an idea for a custom part, but lacks the tools/skill to make it themselves there were typically two vendors that they thought of. garauld is the only one of those two remaining. I don't know how garauld can provide such high quality parts and service to forum members for the price that he does. It's out of respect for what he's done that I made my offer.

O.K.?

I've gotta go. Webby's got the parts waiting for me. (I hope he has beer too) :rolleyes:

edit: Holy shit! I type slow! can you believe I started composing this post right after 08FJR4ME's post (post #29)?

(Well, I did have two PMs to send too)

I sent a PM to CMB and tried to PM ELP_JC, but the PM to ELP_JC returned this message:

"This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger."

I figured is was the polite thing to do :dntknw: It seemed to me that they were the first ones making these things. Maybe they are interested in making more.

08FJR4ME, If someone on the forum has an idea for a custom part, but lacks the tools/skill to make it themselves there were typically two vendors that they thought of. garauld is the only one of those two remaining. I don't know how garauld can provide such high quality parts and service to forum members for the price that he does. It's out of respect for what he's done that I made my offer.

O.K.?

I've gotta go. Webby's got the parts waiting for me. (I hope he has beer too) :rolleyes:

edit: Holy shit! I type slow! can you believe I started composing this post right after 08FJR4ME's post (post #29)?

(Well, I did have two PMs to send too)
No Problem, I also have one of garaulds rack and backrest and he does do excellent work, I am working on a few projects for the FJR at this time myself. I respect your opinion and yes I am sort of new here.

Okay, okay.....before this lovefest gets too out of hand (I get confused very easily at my age) who's gonna step up and start crankin' out PAIR Blockoff Plates?

08FJR4ME, Joe2LMaker, Gary, ELP_JC or Spacely Sprockets?

In the words of Nike, God of Tennis Shoes, "Just Do It!"

:clapping:

I would start a new thread to ascertain interest; if'n there's enough you might get more interest in making them.