Another PAIR removal approach, wadyathink?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I just click the wrong bookmark in my browser and end up in the BMW forum? Talk about an over engineered solution for a problem that doesn't exist. If I were gonna yank out the smog stuff (and I don't know if I could) I'd cap it off with some plain old hoses and sealant gunk. But hey, y'all want to spend 30 bucks on some slick metalwork, go for it! :)
FIFY :****:

$30??? I HOPE it's that cheap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I just click the wrong bookmark in my browser and end up in the BMW forum? Talk about an over engineered solution for a problem that doesn't exist. If I were gonna yank out the smog stuff (and I don't know why I would) I'd cap it off with some plain old hoses and sealant gunk. But hey, y'all want to spend 30 bucks on some slick metalwork, go for it! :)
That's the problem with having nice weather all the time, no time to over think things. A snow storm would do you a world of good!

After seeing some pictures of the blanking caps I decided not to plug the hoses like I had planned and went ahead and made my own blanking caps. I spent my lunch hour and two breaks yesterday at work and made a set of blanking caps from 1/4" aluminium. Here are a couple pics.

PAIR007.jpg

I drilled part way thru from underneath to make clearance for the little nipples on the cylinder head.

PAIR008.jpg

Installed. Coolant pipe removed for CC install.

PAIR010.jpg

I drilled part way thru from underneath to make clearance for the little nipples on the cylinder head.
PAIR008.jpg
I'm glad ya posted this before I got my scoot all torn apart. I'm guessin it's back to the manual mill for me

DSC_40371.jpg

So, some clarification please. The reason for removing the stock plumbing that burns up some un-needed hydrocarbons under certain conditions and adding these block-off plates does what? Other than allowing some hydrocarbons to slip by are there any real performance gains from this modification? And if so how much is the gains and is it worth it? Come on now fess up.....is it really worth the hassle guys? PM. <>< :blink:

No gains unless you want to clean up the mess under your tank.

TPS are much less hassle with all of the pluming out of there.

Room to put some vacuum parts for your cruse control now if your thinking about going in that direction, etc.

So, some clarification please. The reason for removing the stock plumbing that burns up some un-needed hydrocarbons under certain conditions and adding these block-off plates does what? Other than allowing some hydrocarbons to slip by are there any real performance gains from this modification? And if so how much is the gains and is it worth it? Come on now fess up.....is it really worth the hassle guys? PM. <>< :blink:
Zero performance gain. Dead baby seals drowning in a water-soaked, hydrocarbon choked wilderness. Again, ZERO performance gains.

Worth the hassle? Remove the valve cover or coolant pipe ONCE with the PAIR octopus in place and you wouldn't ask that question. :)

BTW, take my name off the list for block-off plates (for now, hopefully).

My main concern would be if the bike is still under warrantee what issues could arise with any of thay type of work? And really I wouldn't be taking off the valve cover if it is still under warrantee so I wouldn't have to worry about that for about 3 more years. I'll leave mine alone but whatever trips your trigger. PM. <>< :D

And really I wouldn't be taking off the valve cover if it is still under warrantee so I wouldn't have to worry about that for about 3 more years.
I hear ya. There's really NO reason to remove the PAIR system if all the work is gonna be done by a dealer. Let THEM cuss at it. :)

However, once you start wrenching on it yourself, you'll yank that fat woman of a plumbing nightmare off your ride.

Here is some clarification,

The removal of this system eliminates popping on decel (after you've added performance mods). If you decided that your going to eliminate your low band 02 sensor and tune your bike via a wide band 02 sniffer, along with the other go fast parts... This mod can actaully help with performance gains.... If you subscribe to the idea that a properly tuned motor makes more power. The reason being this... This system produces false lean readings at the 02 sensor. Though, when this system in place, it does not negatively effect a stock bike because this lean error ratio is already programmed into the stock ECU. When combined with an after market AFR wide band sniffer and performance mods (exhaust, fuel tuner..ect, ect..).... This sytem can be a real pain in the ass (if still intact) by constantly providing false lean readings. A tuners nightmare!

WW