Auxiliary Cell Design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, looking at the close up pics, I can't help but think that in a decent frog strangler the rain water will end up filling up the bolt holes and slowly draining off into the seat pan area. Are you planning on supplying some kind of rubber plugs for the bolt holes? Actually the same could apply to a fuel over flow while filling up, and you'll have gas in the seat pan area. I don't mean to nitpick just asking.
If water does get in there, it's trapped by the flanged screws.

I think there are few ways someone could cover/plug those. McMaster-Carr has a page full of plugs that would work <Link>

If those seemed too simple, there are these:
2566kp1s.gif
<Link> (toward the bottom of the McMaster-Carr page)

I could source some rubber plugs, but I don't have anything in mind yet.

Using a primer bulb in a gravity feed set-up has been suggested a few times and I wasn't sure where to add this reply, but the Auxiliary Cell Design thread seemed logical.

<Link>

<Link>

I found this photo of a disassembled primer bulb.

primer_bulb.jpg

(image from South Sound Chapter of Puget Sound Anglers)

I would say those springs are going to be too much for a gravity fed system.

<snip>I would say those springs are going to be too much for a gravity fed system.
Leave it to Joe2Lmaker to come up with a new option for transfering fuel to the main tank...

Hand Pump Feed

13536.jpg

Seems to me it would work for a tail dragger tank too. I'm curious what Warchild would have to say about it?

:grin:

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>I would say those springs are going to be too much for a gravity fed system.
Leave it to Joe2Lmaker to come up with a new option for transfering fuel to the main tank...

Hand Pump Feed

13536.jpg

Seems to me it would work for a tail dragger tank too. I'm curious what Warchild would have to say about it?

:grin:

Brodie
I'd think that would be pretty fatiguing. I have occasionally considered the use of a hand cranked fuel pump- one commonly used by remote control airplane folks for transferring fuel. They move fuel at a good rate, but would still get pretty old for LD riding use. Good emergency back up for sure, though. Less tiring than squeezing that bulb interminably.

They are inexpensive (by farkle standards), well and solidly made. Ones such as this are about the size of an average fishing reel and could easilly be hard mounted somewhere handy.

FAST_FUELLER_HAND_FUEL_PUMP.jpg

Update on the Flat Top Poly:

I figured out a mounting plate:

ftp_plate-1.jpg

290-104-01_asm.jpg

I think if "D" rings are welded to the sides of the mounting plate, a flat strap would secure the poly tank to its mounting plate. The plate would also work for GenI or GenII. An additional, inexpensive bracket would be needed and that component would be specific to either GenI or GenII.

Any interest? Should I have a few made?

Update on the Flat Top Poly:
I figured out a mounting plate:

I think if "D" rings are welded to the sides of the mounting plate, a flat strap would secure the poly tank to its mounting plate. The plate would also work for GenI or GenII. An additional, inexpensive bracket would be needed and that component would be specific to either GenI or GenII.

How about adapting this plate to the Aluminum tank and using some kind of clip in mechanism to secure the tank to the mounting plate?

How about adapting this plate to the Aluminum tank and using some kind of clip in mechanism to secure the tank to the mounting plate?
I'm not following you. Are you referring to my aluminum tank? You're not a fan of those counterbore bungs are you? I don't know what else to call them, but they are essentially counterbores that extend through my Tang-Along tank. You might be surprised how rigid that attachment method is. That tank is not going anywhere.

Are you referring to the GenI idea I shared in Post #209 <Link> ? I was thinking that mounting system would be welded to the bottom sheet of the tank.

Feel free to download one of my photos from Picasa, mark it up with whatever image editing software you have and post it if that will help. This thread is about Auxiliary Cell Design after all.

Definitely interested. Let me know if you go ahead with this.

Looks good. How wide is the base plate? I am currently using a 4 gal Jazz tank that looks similar (upside down) but it will not fit between the grab rails.

Canadian FJR

Looks good. How wide is the base plate? I am currently using a 4 gal Jazz tank that looks similar (upside down) but it will not fit between the grab rails.
You're on a GenI and and a Flat Top Poly doesn't fit between the grab rails? :blink:
O.K. I had to look for a while, but I found this:

Mine flows very well at this height.
DSCF3366.jpg

Canadian FJR
I can't check the dimensions on the CAD model right now, but I know the Flat Top Poly mounting plate will fit between the GenI grab rails.

This is an '05:

One last GenI pearl to share:
The JAZ Flat Top Poly works with a GenI. (I like that name. Can I copywrite or protect that with a tademark ;) ) Dibs on JAZ Flat Top Poly and JAZ FTP :D

DSC05256.JPG

DSC05258.JPG
The color in the photo isn't that acurate, but trust me it's the '05 Barney Blue!

This is an '05:

One last GenI pearl to share:
The JAZ Flat Top Poly works with a GenI. (I like that name. Can I copywrite or protect that with a tademark ;) ) Dibs on JAZ Flat Top Poly and JAZ FTP :D

DSC05256.JPG

DSC05258.JPG
The color in the photo isn't that acurate, but trust me it's the '05 Barney Blue!
And I thought I was your only friend. :p

It sure was... I didn't even know these things were in the works a couple of weeks ago! I can't wait to start mounting mine up and conferring with everyone else as to how their install is progressing. This is cool.

"Flat Top Poly: Mounting plate"

My cell must be larger than the one shown. When you get a chance would you mind sending the measurements of that base plate. I would really like to use this set-up.

Canadian FJR