Auxiliary Cell Design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks excellent. I wonder if it can be used with a Givi SR346 rack support on Gen I. Still, lots of room along the rear fender for tool kit and Fuzeblock, so no real need to change things. Nice work Joe.
I taped the template for the Rev2 support to the Rev1 support and test fit that:

Auxillaryfueltankmount003.jpg

I'm sure it will work. Unfortunately Shane took his GenI and Givi rack to Iowa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could potentially be in for a Gen I and Gen II setup. Any ballpark on pricing yet?
I'm working on it.

This morning I was looking into packaging. This tank is a little wider than the Tag-Along Tank. I had to make sure I could stay under the UPS Dimensional Weight penalty. Now that I have that figured out, I'll update the CAD model. The welder made a couple of suggestions and I'll make a couple of slight changes that will help him out. I doubt most people would be able to spot the difference. I hope to have that done by the end of the week so I can submit a request for quote.

I also have an idea that might make the GenI supports less expensive to produce. I'll still complete the three sets that I have started.

There are two gentlemen who have dibs on the first two tank prototypes (and supports). If they pass, I'll need to find someone to buy those before I offer a Group Buy.

I also want to check the fit on an ST1300. If we can generate some interest there, it will also bring the price down.

In the end, the price is going to be determined by the amount of interest. Because of the bends and radii, these are much cheaper if we can produce several at a time.

There are two gentlemen who have dibs on the first two tank prototypes (and supports). If they pass, I'll need to find someone to buy those before I offer a Group Buy.
If they pass, I know someone who could be feeling prototypey.....

[/hint]

I understand that you GenI owners love your bikes, but Damn! The geometry of that rear subframe is a challenge.

I wanted more of the bottom plate of the tank supported. But the tail cover was crowding in.

I'm going to try swapping the right and left supports and leaving a little more material. Something like this:

Dave%252527s%252520LD%252520Tank.JPG
• •
Dave%252527s%252520LD%252520Tank2.JPG

I've tried to simplify the GenI rear seat replacing rack. Even though I was using relatively inexpensive aluminum channel, the number of set-ups was was excessive.

Why am I updating this thread on New Year's Eve? It might be because I am putting off watching Bridesmaids with my wife. (God help me!) It might be because I am in a particularly good mood because I just successfully barbequed salmon and enjoyed a tasty New Year's Eve dinner.

IMG_1284.JPG

Pardon the presentation. I don't own a platter that could have done justice to that beautiful fillet.

I abandoned using this:

ALUM_C_CHANNEL_AS_147_3000.jpg
Even though I had a few sets of supports started:

IMG_0867.JPG
• •
IMG_0868.JPG

In favor of this:

IMG_1283.JPG

I also got rid of the counterbores and decided to move the screw holes away from the vertical wall and off the corner radius:

Dave%252527s%252520LD%252520Tank%252520on%2525204X3%252520angle.JPG

I also added a slight angle to back edge of the support:

Dave%252527s%252520LD%252520Tank%252520on%2525204X3%252520angle2.JPG

I bought the material and updated the models; I'll try to cut a set of supports this weekend.

Nice looking piece of fish. :)
I had forgotten that I posted a photo of our New Year's Eve Dinner. I thought the fish you were referring to was the tank support.

See the resemblance?

IMG_1299.JPG

Those are the Revision 3 GenI tank supports.

They do the job, but they are purely utilitarian. I liked the Rev 2 supports better. But, these transfer weight to a larger footprint on the rear subframe.

I found some anchor nuts with longer springs and I really like them:

IMG_1285.JPG
• •
IMG_1288.JPG

Once installed, they really stay put!

The left side of the bike has these zip ties and installing the anchor nuts is a pain. I would really like to just cut those damn things, but I'm not a GenI owner and I haven't taken the time to figure out why they are necessary.

IMG_1290.JPG

This shows the clearance with the seat pan:

IMG_1298.JPG

It isn't very clear in this shot, but the top edge of a Russell seat is snug up against the tank. There is room in front of the OEM rack to adjust the supports, moving the tank back a little so the seat doesn't rub.

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

Feedback? Criticism?

"Is this mike on? I know you're out there. I can hear you breathing."- Henny Youngman

Feedback? Criticism?

"Is this mike on? I know you're out there. I can hear you breathing."- Henny Youngman
I really like the way it looks. I don't suppose you know if it will clear an OEM trunk? It's hard to tell for sure in the pics. It looks like the tank is around 5-6" taller than the grab rail/rack? Will it come in anodized blue? :thumbsup:

Nice work!

I don't suppose you know if it will clear an OEM trunk? It's hard to tell for sure in the pics.
Good question.

I’m trying to remember if I know any Minnesotans with a GenI and an OEM trunk. January 20 the tank and rack are making a trip to Iowa to see how they fit with a GIVI rack and trunk.

I wish I still had the poly cell. The idea was to make a rack that would work with this aluminum tank and the inexpensive inverted poly tank. But, I sold the poly tank <_<

Inexpensive, inexpensive, inexpensive.

That's been my mantra lately, but it's tough. I'm too much of a perfectionist. For example, the gap behind the tank is bugging the hell out of me. Does anyone else look at that and think "WTF? You could pull a rabbit outta that!"?

Good question.

I’m trying to remember if I know any Minnesotans with a GenI and an OEM trunk. January 20 the tank and rack are making a trip to Iowa to see how they fit with a GIVI rack and trunk.

I wish I still had the poly cell. The idea was to make a rack that would work with this aluminum tank and the inexpensive inverted poly tank. But, I sold the poly tank <_<

Inexpensive, inexpensive, inexpensive.

That's been my mantra lately, but it's tough. I'm too much of a perfectionist. For example, the gap behind the tank is bugging the hell out of me. Does anyone else look at that and think "WTF? You could pull a rabbit outta that!"?
This is what I can tell you. The hinges on the OEM trunk start to protrude forward of the grab rail/rack at a height of 6" above the grab rail. At 5" above the grab rail the body of the trunk is still rear ward of the front edge of the grab rail. ...If that all makes sense...

That gap behind the tank looks fine/normal to me.

At 5" above the grab rail the body of the trunk is still rear ward of the front edge of the grab rail. ...
:dribble:

IMG_1302_resized.JPG

I'm guessing, but the height from the top of the OEM rack to the top of the tank must be like 3 inches.

Someone should PM Bustanut to verify that dimension for us. :)

J/K I'm sure Dolly loves the Angry Inch :p

The height (and angle) of your filler neck will have more to do with clearing your trunk than the tank itself. (again ... guessing)

That gap behind the tank looks fine/normal to me.
Thank you for that.

But, after talking to Duster19 we decided I'm going to make a Rev 4. set of supports.

Rev 4 GenI supports:

IMG_1355.JPG

So far we've checked the fit with an OEM seat and with a Russell. The OEM just touches the tank and the Russell has about 3/16" gap.

IMG_1342.JPG