Auxiliary Cell Design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear you and your family were spared by that tornado. It's nice to see you're still working on this project. The supports do enclose the passenger area nicely and make it look very clean. I'll still be watching with much interest to see what direction(s) this heads.

Very nice work!

-Paul

I have never had a desire for an aux tank, still don't really but, this was an amazing thread to read through. Thanks for sharing.

Joe, any chance the GenI tank project still has life? I'm looking for a tank and really like what you started...
Thanks for the PM. I've been kinda busy lately and haven't been on the forum much.

I have three sets of GenI supports started. I just need to cut the contours and they are ready to mount. So, with the two prototypes that makes five racks. I'd love to make five tanks if there is still any interest in this. Winter is usually when I work on this project. I'm sure I will post an update in the next few weeks. I was sort of hoping that the GenI tank would also work with the GenII low seat position, but now I'm not so sure.

Ready to assist with any other fittings Joe. One more week of Deer Hunting so after that, the warm garage awaits.

This is what I was aiming for:

• Supports that double as enclosures

• Strong and rigid

• Attach easily to the bike

• Versatile; supporting poly cell, custom aluminum tank, luggage rack, Coyote tank ? ... whatever

• Low material cost

But most of all, they needed to look like they belonged on the bike.

The poly tank is the only one I had laying around for the GenI, so I dropped that on there just to check the fit:

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG
Joe, do you have any plans to develop a GenII version of this support as a winter project? I'm sure there would be enough interest for at least a production run of five.

Fatigue is the enemy of riders too. I don't know how you can stay awake riding more than a couple of hours without getting off and stretching at a fuel stop. Put 10 gallons on a bike and you will want to ride the 5 hours till the next stop.
I don't know why they call it iron butt. It makes mine into marshmallow.
it's easy. you don't sit in one place for hours on end in your nicest easy chair. you change position occasionally or get up and move. unlike a car, you can move around, do deep knee bends, and isometrics while riding a bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, do you have any plans to develop a GenII version of this support as a winter project? I'm sure there would be enough interest for at least a production run of five.
I made a couple of versions of rear seat replacing racks for the GenII a while back. I stopped working on them when I decided to mount the Tag-Along Tank directly.

I think this is next:

rev6_rev7_jaz.jpg

The blue is the Tag-Along

The white is the 4 gallon JAZ

The red is the GenI tank that will also fit the GenII low seat position.

This tank is not a direct-mount. It will attach to the seat replacing rack.

Anyone ever built one to fit inside the trunk? I know you're not supposed to put anything heavier than a Subway 6" turkey sub and a large diet Coke in there, but I still think it could hold more weight.

I think this is next:

rev6_rev7_jaz.jpg

The blue is the Tag-Along

The white is the 4 gallon JAZ

The red is the GenI tank that will also fit the GenII low seat position.

This tank is not a direct-mount. It will attach to the seat replacing rack.
Do you intend to make the seat replacing rack "universal" for all three applications?

I like the simplicity (and lower cost) of the 4 gallon JAZ. Would that use straps?

SOoooo then, we are getting the "weakly" update, or what? ;) It's not my fault, Don started it!
Yeah, :blush2: You know how I am Mike. I'll stand in the rain and jabber about this stuff as long as you'll let me. :DThere are those around here who don't get too excited about CAD models, but I've got a lot of time into them so I like posting 'em.
You misunderstand! I enjoy watching the process from the idea stage through the design phaze and now the CAD program mockups and I'm looking forward to seeing the completed CADs and the first production. I am truly intirgued by those who can do what you do and bring the idea to fruition. Seriously, I am awaiting the final computer design and the first production.Like I said, Don started it.....and you know I can neither let a sleeping dog lie or a mud puddle undisturbed. :bleh:
LOL, I got lost in earlier posts and had all kinds of witty comments to make then realized - they weren't so witty after all.

Joe makes great stuff and I'm personally very happy to see him evolving the product. My sincerest wish is that someday it really 'catches on' and he can make a decent profit from all his labor. Seriously I say this - his quality is top notch and prices *very* reasonable.

Do you intend to make the seat replacing rack "universal" for all three applications?

I like the simplicity (and lower cost) of the 4 gallon JAZ. Would that use straps?
The racks are still evolving.

It's most important for them to work with my tank. I'm hoping they will work with the 4 gallon JAZ, Coyote Tour Tank, or MotoFizz bag. We will see.

It's time to order some sheet aluminum to cut these:

[deleted image] (sorry. shared a little too much detail there)

To make this:

Rev7_Volume.jpg

This all began August 31st 2007??... Wow. What a long, strange trip it's been!

I am super excited to share this next tank with you. This isn't for me. I already have my tank. This is for you!

I had those pieces cut:

[deleted image] (again. a little too much detail )

and bent, and tacked together:

IMG_1096.JPG

The photo is with my seat in the "Low" position. (that step took me a few minutes to figure out)

The tank is resting on a version of my GenII seat replacing rack.

Tomorrow, we are going to check the fit on my GenI seat replacing rack. (But, I already know it's going to fit!)

Then, I'm going to see what other bikes this will fit; ST1300, Tiger 800, Super Ténéré...

I think this shape will work with a lot of different platforms.

Now, keep in mind: The sheets on this mock up are just tacked together. There are no holes; for drain bungs, vent bungs, fill caps, etc.

At this point I just wanted to check the fit.

And now, saving the best news for last... This is going to cost less to produce than any tank I've made in the past. Instead of buying an RCI tank and figuring out how to mount it, I want people to have this Drop Dead Sexy option and figure out how to mount it themselves. I'm not saying I can ever make these as CHEAP as an RCI, but...

Functional, affordable, art. Is that too much to ask?

Last night we test fit the tank on a GenI.

Instead of making the anchor nuts, I looked for something more readily available... stainless steel, with a spring on the back to keep it in place would be even better. This is what I found:

IMG_1100.JPG
• •
IMG_1101.JPG

Next, a bolt anchors the support to the frame:

IMG_1125.JPG

You can see in the photo a location in the rear subframe for an additional anchor nut. Another piece of aluminum that lines up with this hole could be welded to the support , but I really don't think that is necessary. One bolt in each support, and it is RIGID. We could have easily shook the bike off its center stand by grabbing and shaking the support. If this were my bike, I would just have the supports welded to the bottom of the tank and be done, but someone else might prefer to have brackets welded to the bottom of tank and bolt those to the supports.

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

So, there you have it.

This tank will work with the GenI or GenII. It will work with the Gen II in the High or Low seat position. Plus, the cost will be low. This tank doesn't have as many pieces as the Tag-Along Tank. In fact, this tank is about half as complex.

I have three sets of GenI supports roughed out. I like the way they turned out, but they were a lot of work. The GenII supports are much easier. I don't have to deal with the downward sloping rear subframe.

I'm thinking about a group buy, but I'm not sure how I would word it. The tank would be the same, but I would have to offer two different mounting options and the GenI option will be more expensive.

This looks excellent. I wonder if it can be used with a Givi SR346 rack support on Gen I. Still, lots of room along the rear fender for tool kit and Fuzeblock, so no real need to change things. Nice work Joe.

This looks excellent. I wonder if it can be used with a Givi SR346 rack support on Gen I. Still, lots of room along the rear fender for tool kit and Fuzeblock, so no real need to change things. Nice work Joe.
Mine was the test bike for this little photo op, and yes there looks to be more than adequate room for a Givi rack. Plus, it can't be seen in any of the photos, I do have a Fuzeblock installed in the tail section & there are no issues with the tank or mounting brackets...plenty of room.

I think this is the best looking tank & mount yet that I've seen.

Great job Joe!!! :clapping:

Mine was the test bike for this little photo op, and yes there looks to be more than adequate room for a Givi rack. Plus, it can't be seen in any of the photos, I do have a Fuzeblock installed in the tail section & there are no issues with the tank or mounting brackets...plenty of room.

I think this is the best looking tank & mount yet that I've seen.

Great job Joe!!! :clapping:
Wow! :clapping: :clapping: