Bad Day at the Gas Pumps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPDSGT

Reaction score
This Sunday Morning I decided to take a ride on my new FJR-A. Since my gas gauge had been flashing for some time I went to get my third tank of gas in the three days that I have been able to ride my new Blue Star. I pulled into the SAME pump (Union 76 station) that I had used yesterday to fill up. Just as I had yesterday; I put the nozzle in letting the recovery ring sit on the aluminum ring on the tank and locked the auto fill/auto off handle in the lowest volume setting. I was watching to see how much gas it would take when I heard SPLASHING and the sound of LIQUID flowing on the cement. I turned back to the task at hand to see my new FJR being totally bathed in gas -- freely flowing out of my tank, all over the motor, plastic and seat. I released the auto lever as quick as I could and looked for water to dilute the gas. There was none; so I grabbed the windshield washer thingie and put as much water on my baby as I could.

Luckily I had only driven from my house, about a quarter of a mile, so the motor was not very hot. I hate to think what would of happened if I had gassed after my 100 mile morning ride. Gas went everywhere. My Alpine Stars (with the non-skid rubber sole) slid for about three feet as I jumped back then forward to shut off the nozzle. It seems they are non-skid unless they are standing in 1/4 inch of gasoline.

I told the attendant and all he was concerned with was the gas all over his island. I rolled the bike out of the puddle knowing the tires were going to be very slick after their bath. I sloughed windshield water on as much as I could and held my breath and refired her up. (I let it sit for a while before this). It didn't catch on fire and me and my insurance company are glad of that. I wet the seat and it appears to be O.K.

So if you use the auto fill/auto stop feature of the gas pumps, be aware they do fail (even if they worked the day prior). I don't know what will happen with a "HOT" engine but it was a big scary mess with a cold one. The attendant did not even act like he was going to check out the pump; which bothers me. I will have to find a different station and darn they have gas for a nickle less than others.

I am not sure how I will handle gassing in the future as you can barely see the gas as it fills. If anyone has an idea let me know. C.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
EXPDSGT, I'm glad you are ok for starters. I can tell you I NEVER use the autofill function of a pump on any bike. It only takes a minute to fill a bike tank anyway, and I am always concerned about either overfilling or spilling gas on the paint. Once again, just be glad you and the bike are ok!

I believe that I'd talk to the mgr. of this establishment ASAP and fill him or her in on what happened and the attitude of said brain dead attendent. Hey, a nickel a gallon is a nickel a gallon. JB

Auto-shutoff pumps ARE NOT DESIGNED to work with a bike. YOU SHOULD NEVER RELY ON THESE WHEN FILLING A MOTORCYCLE.

No offense, but this one is entirely your fault, not the gas station's.

[quote}No offense, but this one is entirely your fault, not the gas station's.
Obviously you are right -- I will never do it again. What threw me off was that it worked just like a car yesterday. I though when the gas got to the nozzle it would kick off. (Not sure how the hose knows if it is a bike or a car)

I just want to let anyone who does practice this, that it could turn out disasterous. I believe however that when gas covers the end of the nozzle (which was fully inserted) it is susposed to shut off. They always have kicked off in the past with numberous motorcycles, but I would hold the nozzle rather than just let it sit in the opening.

I was not saying it was not my fault, but I bet I am not the first to fill this way. Wanted to get the word out to others. C.R.

The gas has to make it some distance into the tip of the nozzle before it shuts off. Distance varies from pump to pump.

In a car, the nozzle is like 6" deep into the filler tube. When the tube fills with gas, it moves up the nozzle a lot faster than the level in your tank rises. (smaller cross-sectional area, but adding the same volume means quicker rise in fill height).

On a bike, the fill level is a lot more dependant about how far down in the tank the tip of the nozzle is. Also, with the slower rise in level, you won't always trip the shut-off anyway.

I think the owner's manual says something about this.

Is the "recovery ring" that goofy accordion tube in California that is supposed to trap gas vapors?

I used to hate those things. We don't have them here. Without them it's a lot easier to watch the fuel rise to the bottom of the tank fill tube.

This next warning is probably obvious: When refueling, because it’s so easy to pay at the pump, it’s tempting to stay straddling the bike. I worry that should anything go wrong, standing over the problem is not where I want to be. I make myself (and passenger) get off (the bike), then fuel up.

Is the "recovery ring" that goofy accordion tube in California that is supposed to trap gas vapors?I used to hate those things. We don't have them here. Without them it's a lot easier to watch the fuel rise to the bottom of the tank fill tube.

This next warning is probably obvious: When refueling, because it’s so easy to pay at the pump, it’s tempting to stay straddling the bike. I worry that should anything go wrong, standing over the problem is not where I want to be. I make myself (and passenger) get off (the bike), then fuel up.
Not to mention the unpleasant burning sensation when the gas runs down the tank and soaks into the crotch of your pants :uhoh: !!!!

I've never had a problem with the auto release of the nozzle on a bike, I did on a car once. I don't use it on either one of my bikes since that means leaving the nozzle in the tank and having the weight of the nozzle, fittings and hose rest on the side. I don't even like that idea.

What you have to be careful of, and I have noticed this on two of the last 5 fillups, are those who put the nozzle back while leaving the catch on. I don't know how they do that without releasing it but a couple did. If I selected what I wanted gas may have gone everywhere, unless there is a failsafe, which I am not willing to check out.

Mike

i HATE those ring-things. i always pull that dude back with the left hand while filling with the right. i watch the fuel level and don't count on auto shutoff. and i have to say that that little doo-dad inside the tank with the small holes and the one filler hole is a pain in the arse.

glad none of your stuff was at the auto-ignition temp...

take care,

shu

Hey Guys,

There is a device that slips on the nossle that will lock the vapor tube back so you don't have to hold it while filling. Its always a pain in the ass to hold the tube, watch the tank and the pump at the same time. I think Aerostitch has them, its just a flat piece of steel with a "U" shaped notch cut in it, that slides on the nossle.

Bill

We don't have those nozzle things in NY yet, but I have used them in NJ. I always have to use two hands, one to hold the nozzle and one to pull up on the recovery device. I don't feel comfortable pushing that device against the thin metal in the filler of the gas tank.

so I grabbed the windshield washer thingie and put as much water on my baby as I could.
EXPDSGT,

While I didn't have quite the disaster you had, I still did have an issue

last time I filled up.

Union 76 as well.

Left hand holding the stupid rubber thing up, and right hand squeezing the

nozzle. I was trying to see into the shadows, but STILL had a hard time

wiith the depth perception (due to said shadows), and sunglasses...

I know, I know...stupid, stupid, stupid!!

Next thing I know, gas is dribbling all down the left side of my purdy

blue tank...RATS!!

Same thing, though...windhield washer suds (Morning, so recently changed),

and lots of it. Did NOT rub, though...patted dry three (3) times after thoroughly

sloshing with the stuff. That's never happened before, either, but I have NEVER

tried to use the auto shut-off on a motorcycle.

and i have to say that that little doo-dad inside the tank with the small holes and the one filler hole is a pain in the arse.
Those are there so that if you are in a different state where the diesel is on the same pump as the gas you don't accidently put diesel in the bike because the diesel nozzle is green in that state like the regular unleaded nozzle is green in your state. I personally wouldn't know anything about that, it' s just a guess :poster_oops: .

Well my spill was not just a little over run -- it poured and poured gas everywhere. I had to grab the handle and release the latch before it would stop. In Calif. we have the little tiny hole that the nozzle goes into and you can hardly see the gas anyway. My bike has the metal ring at the filler and I sit the rubber ring on it -- no pressure to the sides. I was off of the bike or it would have been bad -- IE hot pants.

At any rate I will come up with a new way of filing up. I still think it should have shut off sometime as the gas was flowing full force out of the tank top. I had the nozzle at least 5 inches into the tank and 4 inches past the little hole. Never again. Thanks for all the advice. My main concern is to inform others what happened and hopfully avoid a much worse incident of a hot engine fire. Thanks -- C.R.

P.S. Remember that gas on the station island is SLICK.

Auto-shutoff pumps ARE NOT DESIGNED to work with a bike. YOU SHOULD NEVER RELY ON THESE WHEN FILLING A MOTORCYCLE.
No offense, but this one is entirely your fault, not the gas station's.
I dis-respectfully disagree! :p

I ALWAYS use the auto shut-off feature. Now frequently, I manually turn it off before full, but many times I let it do its thing so to speak. I only had a problem once. On my way home from WFO-3 - in Jackson, WY, at a Chevron dealer. Auto shut-off did not shut off, and seemed like a gallon of gas spilled out the tank. It was probably much less, but it sure seemed like a lot. My FJR was HOT, having just done quite a bit of stop-n-go through the heavy traffic of Jackson. Not fun, but no major problems.

Like I said, I still use the auto shut-off frequently, but I do keep a close eye on it to prevent any repeat "Old Faithfull" performances.

Sorry to hear about your *fun* EXPDSGT. Don't do that anymore!!!!

In Calif. we have the little tiny hole that the nozzle goes into
We all have that. We've had it since unleaded came along to keep leaded gas (fat nozzle) out of unleaded engiens.

I never latch a gas pump while filling the bike but the auto shut off thing has always worked.

Latest posts