Barbarian Jumper Mod on 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got ro ride yesterday as the rain let up for a day. Bike ran great with the mod. Set all cylinders +7. I can still find a lean surge if I purposely hunt for it and try to induce it but otherwise I would say 90% gone. Better low end response. Smoother. The 2500 RPM throttle roll on grumble is much reduced. The engine temp gauge has not changed. The transition from decel to power is still abrupt if your not careful, but that's not a real issue, except in the midlle of a corner. Definetly the best free 30 minute mod. you can do.

Ok,

you guys convinced me. I just need to take off the left silver panel and the air filter cover to get get to it right?

I just finished the mod myself. I increased the settings on all four cylinders by 7 increments and then went for a ride.
Nice!!! Now I like the bike even more. I get less mirror vibration, engine is smoother overall and throttle is not as jerky at low RPMs and the engine feels like it has just a tad more low end torque. Any vibration I used to feel at 75-80mph is now totally gone, and the temp indicator dropped by one bar. This looks to me like a great modification. :yahoo:

For the record, my initial settings on my four cylinders were:

1. -10

2. 8

3. 8

4. 11

I would be curious to know how this compares to what others have measured. No 1 cylinder sure looks to be set a lot leaner than the rest.
Those base numbers don't mean a thing. There are manufacturing variants in everything. Where those numbers are just reflect the differences in fuel injectors, fuel pressure, phases of the moon or whatever other variable can effect the process of mixing gas with air. Those numbers can be from -100 to +100. It just shows how close all the tolerances are that most bikes have adjustment numbers between -20 and +20. What your concerned with is how many numbers you increase it by.

Tom

I just finished the mod myself. I increased the settings on all four cylinders by 7 increments and then went for a ride.

Nice!!! Now I like the bike even more. I get less mirror vibration, engine is smoother overall and throttle is not as jerky at low RPMs and the engine feels like it has just a tad more low end torque. Any vibration I used to feel at 75-80mph is now totally gone, and the temp indicator dropped by one bar. This looks to me like a great modification. :yahoo:

1. -10

2. 8

3. 8

4. 11

I would be curious to know how this compares to what others have measured. No 1 cylinder sure looks to be set a lot leaner than the rest.
Even though these are allegedly different for each bike, my settings were exactly the same as Freds'. Maybe excellent quality control on Yamahas part, or maybe they are all just set to the same default values.

Alberto has prevented riding since doing the mod yesterday. Also did the throttle spring mod. Evaluation to follow.

I was wondering if after making the changes, if I put 23 and 25 back to stock if the changes would still be stored. I only ask because if the bike ever had to go to the shop, I wouldn't want someone accidentally making CO changes while in diag mode.

ok you guys. me too. i just thought i was a crappy old cruiser rider because i couldn't come into a corner kinda hot and then get off the decel and onto the throttle smoothly. valve lash, surge, herky-jerky - whatever you want to call it. and of course, i admit, i am nobody's squid. but it WAS very noticeable. even compared to my GL1200 nakey bike. and it's not like there's not enough torque even if you shoulda been one notch down, eh?

spooked, but we're goin in... 23 and 25. add 7. click your heels together, what, 3 times?

groo, i take little comfort in "if i can do it, you can do it". when it comes to lumber and nails and saws and stuff, i'll try anything. but little wires and shyte? gawd....

wish me luck.

shu

I just did the change, but won't have a chance to test ride until tomorrow.

My factory settings were initially set the same as v65's:

Don

Key piece of data missing is how much (or if) this effects your fuel economy. How do you know you're not ruining the mixture (going too lean for example)?

The effect on gas mileage is negligible. The CO adjustment has the greatest impact at lower RPMs.

When you adjust the CO in a positive direction you are enrichening the mix, negative leans out the mix.

CO can be measured before or after the cat resulting in very different numbers, be sure you know which ones you are picking out of the FSM if you go the emissions probe way. The 'bump it 7' was determined by making the adjustments with a FJR on a chassis dyno and the head pipes EGA probed. The '03 FJRs that were used had initial CO levels approaching zero. The 7 digit bump never put any FJR emissions out of spec but did move the CO level right to the upper limit of spec.

'03-'05 models had CO spec at the head pipe as ~3-4% and at the tail pipe <1%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Key piece of data missing is how much (or if) this effects your fuel economy. How do you know you're not ruining the mixture (going too lean for example)?
You are actually making it richer. I have done 3 tankfuls after the mod and my fuel economy went up 2 MPG.

:D

You are actually making it richer. I have done 3 tankfuls after the mod and my fuel economy went up 2 MPG.

:D

OK. SOunds pretty good. I may try this myself in my neverending heat-mod quest...

Pappy

Rode to work today, and the low RPM response is much improved. It also felt a little smoother in the off-to-on throttle transition. Very cool!

Don

I am at altitude (~5800 ft), so I assumed my bike is a bit richer, or shall I say "less lean", than most. I dialed in +5 and note the same improvements in smoothness and throttle response. I never had a lean surge or any noticeable EFI niggle, but the bike does feel better. Still getting 49 mpg in mixed commute driving. No change at all in mileage.

I did note on another thread that I was getting a bit of pinging on Colorado's basic unleaded (85 octane) presumably due to the incresed summer temps (upper 90s all week). The new settings have elimnated this, so I assume the temps caused an overly lean condition and the extra CO numbers are giving it a bit more fuel.

10 minute job. Very happy.

Edit * Also noted decreased "abruptness" in transitions.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than 90% of all 2006 models have -10,8,8,11, this was recently checked at our local FJR club. Leads me to believe Yamaha 'forgot' to properly setup each bike.

1. -10

2. 8

3. 8

4. 11

My original settings were the same as yours, Fred.

Interesting default setting...

My 03 had:

A bump of 5 was all I needed to make a huge differnace in smoothing out the performance of the bike. Going up 7 points actually gave me a slight surge between 2-3K RPM's in 4th gear, but made the bike scream with awsome throttle response on the highway at 80MPH. I had to drop back down to only 5 points to get the throttle response smooth throughout the RPM range once again.