Bike down, totaled slider, frame damaged, 15 mph

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just of note as far as slider/TOGs go -- it all depends on the circumstances... see numerous other posts that Skyway sliders were beneficial.

example:

Clicky for full thread

August 9th, 2006 post:

I 'tested' Skyway's sliders during our ride to WFO5.

Those are pictures of my bike above, by the way.

I did a full lock, stall out drop - no forward movement.

The only parts that contacted the asphalt were:

Slider (left side, bottom edge)

Bag - (left side, bottom edge)

If you didn't know to look for the damage, you would not know it was there.

Granted, if you're going to drop your bike, the way I did it is optimum.

While at WFO5, I saw an 06A that had been dropped on the right side, with Yamaha sliders - as those sliders are shorter/smaller, and the bike had rotated on the slider - so the upper part of the bike (mirror, tupperware, bag) all contacted and were scratched, and IMHO, did not benefit the bike in any way. Had that bike been wearing Skyway sliders, the damage would be minimal.

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
All this talk about the slider and the shit I'd really be worried about is the cheap shit "safety gear" getting a hole worn through on a 15 mph slide. Another 15 mph on top of that (.003 seconds of hard acceleration) and this thread could be written by someone else and a lot harder to swallow than a fucked up frame.

It doesn't surprise me that a frame got screwed up with or without the slider because F=ma and the acceleration is pretty darn quick when you go from 15 to 0 in a thousandth of a second and the mass is pretty significant with the FJR. When I put on gear I would like to think that it affords me protection from rash in a well over 15mph slide. I don't care if a tank top doesn't afford someone much protection, but when riding gear is purchased and worn it ought to provide some significant safety benefit. Again, buyer beware, but heck...what is Dianese thinking???

"uh...looks rad"

Nice.

:glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
Camera - real glad that it's just metal and plastic that got damaged, and thanks for letting us know what happened.

As for some of the posts about 'sliders' - some of you don't know nuttin'. In fact, some even know less than that.

FWIW I have R&G Crash Protectors (yes, that's what they call them, not sliders), and another FWIW, here is an extract from the description: "R&G Racing manufacture and market individual designs for around eighty different models of crash protectors which received an MCN rating of 97% in 2001. These are not "mushrooms" and unlike some other products they use de-embrittled high-tensile steel bolts, designed not to snap off on impact. Plus they insert compression sleeves inside the bobbins, which are designed to scrub speed from crashes quickly and minimize damage to frames and fairings in most crash scenarios."

Note the inserted compression sleeves - designed to COMPRESS and are a sacrificial part of the whole assembly, just like the bobbins. The R&G are designed to not transmit the full blunt force into the frame.

All that said, they also do not even remotely try and predict or guarantee the outcome of your own personal crash-test, and even with these you could do some frame damage. Their real benefit (as tested by RogDeb and others) varies - but in most cases the benefit is positive.

Even though I am not a fan of buying insurance in the first place, my vote would be to turn it over to the insurance company. You will probably get a new bike. Maybe you can buy the old one back and have a life time of spare parts or sell some of those parts to us when we need them.

Camera - real glad that it's just metal and plastic that got damaged, and thanks for letting us know what happened.
As for some of the posts about 'sliders' - some of you don't know nuttin'. In fact, some even know less than that.

FWIW I have R&G Crash Protectors (yes, that's what they call them, not sliders), and another FWIW, here is an extract from the description: "R&G Racing manufacture and market individual designs for around eighty different models of crash protectors which received an MCN rating of 97% in 2001. These are not "mushrooms" and unlike some other products they use de-embrittled high-tensile steel bolts, designed not to snap off on impact. Plus they insert compression sleeves inside the bobbins, which are designed to scrub speed from crashes quickly and minimize damage to frames and fairings in most crash scenarios."

Note the inserted compression sleeves - designed to COMPRESS and are a sacrificial part of the whole assembly, just like the bobbins. The R&G are designed to not transmit the full blunt force into the frame.

All that said, they also do not even remotely try and predict or guarantee the outcome of your own personal crash-test, and even with these you could do some frame damage. Their real benefit (as tested by RogDeb and others) varies - but in most cases the benefit is positive.
So what is the consensus at this point? Are Skyway slider's mounting bolts simply too short? Could a longer bolt rectify the situation? Is the mounting location wrong? For those of us who already have Skyway sliders, would it be better to remove them altogether?

I just got Skyways and haven't put them on yet. Now I don't know whether to put them on or not.

That bolt goes into the motor case. So the (some of) the threads were pulled out of the motor also. The reason the stock bolt torqued up is because it was longer than Skyways and it went into the motor farther to the threads that the other bolt did not reach. But some of the threads are missing and the only true fix is to replace that case or Heli-coil it.

I an not going to install my sliders til I get more info.

Put them on. They have already saved my fairing once! I think the name "slider" is more of a misnomer than anything. As was said before they are more of a tip-over guard. "Slider" just sounds better than "dumbass drop bike guard"

If I low side a corner at speed I don't give a damn about what condition my bike or frame is in when it stops. I just hope the "slider" provides enough room as to not trap my leg between the ground and bike and drag me along.

Camera, how far did you slide to "hole" the pipes? Are they that thin walled? All this at 15 MPH?
I agree with the DDBG and comments in general. For what it is worth in the UK these things are called crash bungs. if you tip over they will save you money. If you crash it is going to cost you anyway you look at it.

Warchild. Thanks for the call out on the frame. It's not obvious to me what can be done here.
In terms of the slider, I've been in touch with Skyway. Personally, i think there is a significant issue here as it looks to me like the bolt only engaged with four threads.
What did Skyway have to say about it?

So what is the consensus at this point? Are Skyway slider's mounting bolts simply too short? Could a longer bolt rectify the situation? Is the mounting location wrong? For those of us who already have Skyway sliders, would it be better to remove them altogether?
I don't think you can get consensus. You really have to make your own call. Personally, I think Camera was unlucky, but personally, I also would not mount 'solid' crash protectors of any make or design on my bike. I want something that has some 'give' or compression, and absorbs some of the initial impact, then, if the bike is sliding, abrades while absorbing energy (and cushioning to a limited degree).

Well, for what it's worth, I'll chime in. As for welding the frame, I would have no reservations whatsoever. (depending of course, on the welder) But hey, I know the guy that did the welding on the recalled Goldwing frames for this area. But ultimate answer: Just turn it over to the insurance company. Unless you have a long history of doing this every other week, I doubt the insurance retaliation will be that substantial. That's what you have been paying them for. Let 'em write the check.

Well, for what it's worth, I'll chime in. As for welding the frame, I would have no reservations whatsoever. (depending of course, on the welder) But hey, I know the guy that did the welding on the recalled Goldwing frames for this area. But ultimate answer: Just turn it over to the insurance company. Unless you have a long history of doing this every other week, I doubt the insurance retaliation will be that substantial. That's what you have been paying them for. Let 'em write the check.
?Off topic, but, not. If/when welding the frame, do all of the electronics need to be removed from the bike? Didn't know if sending that much zap to the frame would cook anything connected to it.

A big most definate YES, the electrical system would have to be isolated when welding.

Think I will have another beveage and tackle this in the morning.
That was my course of action. Oh, did you mean beverage? Never mind....
I'd like to hear from Skyway.............
No good deed shall go unpunished....
Nice. Nothing like an introductory insult to get peoples' respect.
All this talk about the slider and the shit I'd really be worried about is the cheap shit "safety gear" getting a hole worn through on a 15 mph slide...When I put on gear I would like to think that it affords me protection from rash in a well over 15mph slide...
2247302-plus1.gif
:clapping:

Warchild. Thanks for the call out on the frame. It's not obvious to me what can be done here.

In terms of the slider, I've been in touch with Skyway. Personally, i think there is a significant issue here as it looks to me like the bolt only engaged with four threads.
What did Skyway have to say about it?
Still waiting on a definitive reply from him . . . his wife is having a medical proceedure I think.

All this talk about Skyway's "Sliders" makes me somewhat concerned about potetial frame damage. :unsure:

I just ordered a set prior to reading this post! Great timing on my part...day late and a dollar short, again! At this point I would consider them tip over gaurds and nothing more.......the R&G product sounds more practical

$.02

All this talk about Skyway's "Sliders" makes me somewhat concerned about potetial frame damage. :unsure:
I just ordered a set prior to reading this post! Great timing on my part...day late and a dollar short, again! At this point I would consider them tip over gaurds and nothing more.......the R&G product sounds more practical
Also, they look to be in a much better position to be modified to double as highway pegs. Anybody done something like that yet?

All this talk about the slider and the shit I'd really be worried about is the cheap shit "safety gear" getting a hole worn through on a 15 mph slide. Another 15 mph on top of that (.003 seconds of hard acceleration) and this thread could be written by someone else and a lot harder to swallow than a fucked up frame.
. . . Again, buyer beware, but heck...what is Dianese thinking???

"uh...looks rad"

Nice.

:glare:
The word "cheap" of course does not refer to what I paid for my crap dainese. Definitely not buying this again.