Cal-Sci vs. Vstream Comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I was able to a) finish my CC install (works perfect, BTW) and B) hose enough mud away from the garage to get the bike out safely.
FWIW, I'm 6'0", 32" inseam. Todays test wearing my Arai Signet GTR helmet.

I spent about an hour on the highway with the Vstream this morning running it up and down at various speeds (65-75mph). My impressions vs. the Cal-Sci:

The Good

1) It produces a much cleaner air stream at speed when all the way down.

2) It reduces buffeting to the side of the head even further. Almost perfect

3) It allows more air to reach my arms - A plus in summer, a minus in winter

4) It handles crosswinds and 18-wheeler turbulence much better

5) It reduces noise even further. Very quiet

The Bad

1) It's not as optically pure to look through due to the bubble shape (not the quality)

2) At full up there is slightly more back pressure than the Cal-Sci (still less than stock)

3) May have very slightly more buffeting on the top of the helmet. This needs to be verified when I switch back to the Cal-Sci

Initial Conclusion - I'm keeping it as it seems to have addressed the one area I was hoping for the most - side of the head buffeting. As you would expect, by being so much wider at the top than the Cal-Sci it pushes the turbulence farther out and around. HOWEVER, this may indeed be a problem for the pillion. I just can't say yet.

I'll try it with the Schuberth next (and perhaps at um...somewhat higher...speeds).

Thanks for this informative report. I am on my third CalSci on an '07. The first was the tall, and I was not pleased with the side buffeting, crosswinds and highway turbulence, so I sent it back and got the X-Tall, thinking that this would help reduce the side buffeting. Although better, this one had misaligned holes and the "W" did not line up properly, so I sent Mark pictures, and sent this one back and he corrected the design flaw and sent the one I am currently using. It is the best that I have had so far. He corrected the misaligned holes and the cutout on this one is much smaller than his previous version. It does whistle a little as certain speeds, but not terribly annoying. I sent Mark pictures of this one mounted, which you can see on his website. https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300prod.html. The black cherry '07 at the top and the 3 pics at the bottom are of my bike.

I am curious if you noticed any more instability at speed with the extra width on the Vstream vs the CalSci. The mounting is fairly flimsy and did not know if the extra resistance from the wider screen would create any more movement of the shield or not.

I look forward to your follow up report. Just when I think that I am through with windshield purchases, your post addresses some of the issues that I would like resolved. We also have a lot of the same physical characteristics, ie 6'0", 32 inch inseam, so I am thinking that although windshields are subjective, that what works for you, could very well be the ticket I am looking for as well.

Tony aka tvol73.

I am curious if you noticed any more instability at speed with the extra width on the Vstream vs the CalSci. The mounting is fairly flimsy and did not know if the extra resistance from the wider screen would create any more movement of the shield or not.
I look forward to your follow up report. Just when I think that I am through with windshield purchases, your post addresses some of the issues that I would like resolved. We also have a lot of the same physical characteristics, ie 6'0", 32 inch inseam, so I am thinking that although windshields are subjective, that what works for you, could very well be the ticket I am looking for as well.

Tony aka tvol73.
I've spent some more time with the Vstream (going back and forth between helmets and at different speeds) and I'm more and more convinced this is the one I'll keep. It does have a bit more flex at speed than the Cal-Sci due to the increased width and weight up top but that doesn't really bother me at all. It's a winner for me.

Thanks for the good comparison, mine is on the way, hopefully got here today. We are the same size so I"m sure the V will work for me too.

I now consider this case closed for me. Vstream is hands down winner and it's staying on the bike.

Wanna take the V-Stream (or most any brand/config.) from a "darn good windscreen" to a "damm great windscreen"? Install a set (24.00) of Skyway's spacer's and then see what ya think. Worked wonders for me........

I got mine in the mail today and it looks a little different from the picture posted at the begining of this post. Mine is flat like the Yamaha sheild with the wave cut out side egde but the picture on this post seems to be curved as well.... am I crazy or it is just the way the picture looks?

Lost.....

I now consider this case closed for me. Vstream is hands down winner and it's staying on the bike.
Is there a reason you never considered the Cee Baileys with flip or have you already tried that?
I'm normally a "function over form" kinda guy but the CB flip REALLY doesn't do it for me ascetically. Having said that, I'd have tried that next if the V hadn't worked out.

I got mine in the mail today and it looks a little different from the picture posted at the begining of this post. Mine is flat like the Yamaha sheild with the wave cut out side egde but the picture on this post seems to be curved as well.... am I crazy or it is just the way the picture looks?
Lost.....
Um...I'm the one that is lost. I would call the OEM '06+ shield "curved" in that curves back toward the rider. I'd call the Cal-Sci "flat" as it stands up much straighter. The V is curved by my definition. If it fits your bike, it must be the correct one.

It seems with a situation like this that there are too many variables to really put it in perspective.

For myself, I am 72" tall w34" inseam, but have put on the helibars triple clamp which puts me a little higher and farther back than most. Yesterday went on my first long ride with the FJR, almost 500 miles, and I have have the Cee Baileys +2 high and +4 wide flip. While it gives much more protection and reduction in windage from the stock there seems to be a lot of turbulance that could be reduced.

I have just ordered the Vstream, and will give my personal report when able.

Have had the V for a few hundred miles and love it! At 6 ft. tall it gives good air flow to upper chest when down and a quiet pocket

at 3/4 - full raised. Will be much better for longer distances.

I wish they offered the V Stream with a tint. Is this something they offer later (after the intro for a new model) or is it unlikely they'll ever offer a tint for the '06-7?

As most here, I too have a cal-sci windshield & although better than stock there is still buffeting at speed.

If there is a screen thats works cleaner / smoother at speed, sign me up.

Where is the V stream avaliable from ?

Can someone please post a picture from the side, so I can compare mine to yours.... still looks odd...

I did a quick 30 mile ride last night and I don't know if I just want it to work or if it does but I think it's much better that the Yamaha TALL, or the Flip... still too early to tell.

Luckydog.