• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

-CLOSED- Heli Tour Performance GB

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine yesterday. Hopefully, I can pick up my new 08 at D&H next Saturday, and install the heli Sunday.

Just finished installing my Heli triple clamp. No real problems except for dropping some fasteners deep into the bowels of the engine (my fault).

The only thing is the brake and clutch lines seem pretty tight at full lock when the bars are installed in the rear position. Throttle cables are OK, but I'm a little concerned about the stress on the hydraulic lines. Everything seems fine if I move the bars to the forward position.

Anyone else run into this?

Just finished installing my Heli triple clamp. No real problems except for dropping some fasteners deep into the bowels of the engine (my fault).
The only thing is the brake and clutch lines seem pretty tight at full lock when the bars are installed in the rear position. Throttle cables are OK, but I'm a little concerned about the stress on the hydraulic lines. Everything seems fine if I move the bars to the forward position.

I haven't approached the install yet - but have you carefully checked for any little sneaky, well buried cable ties / zip ties?

There might be one hidden way under - you damned near need an endoscope to see back in there. I swear I'd have an eaier time trying to see up my own arse holding a wing mirror in each hand. :blink:

Yesterday I installed the clamp. :clapping:

I will say I'm impressed with this product, very well made and it seems that a lot of thought went into it. I can now see why it's so expensive because there's a lot of machining that goes into this part. Plus it's heavy duty compared to the stock clamp.

The install went alright. First make sure you have a 36 MM socket for the steering head nut. I didn't have one and had to run out and buy one. I will say that the instructions where right on. My only problem was those damn ignition bolts. Man, I started drilling the first head and sure enough the drill bit breaks inside the bolt. :dribble: Needless to say about 2 hours later, after using many different tools, I was finally able to get those damn suckers off. Other than the ignition bolts the rest of install went quick and easy.

I installed the handlebars to the "nearest me" setting. I rode the bike into work this morning and I'm really liking this new position. I feel I have a better posture than before and have more control because ot the increase bend in my elbows. I also like the way the triple clamp seems to clean up the handlebars (doesn't seem so clutter up there now). My only negative is that Heli should of supplied something to put over the screw holes that are used for the optional ram ball mounts. Luckily I had some black plastic buttons that I used to cover those holes. Overall I'm very happy with this purchase!!

Now with the Heli installed and the Russell seat, I should be able to ride for many miles. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

throttle001.jpg

throttle cable in stock position

throttle002.jpg

throttle cable routed behind brake lines.

This routing provides plenty of free play in cables.

oops, you had a problem with the hydrualic lines.... my brake and clutch were fine, but my throttle cable seemed a bit tight with the handle bars turned full to the left.

I just finished today installing mine as well. I felt the instructions were almost perfect, except the duplication of the instructions at the very end. I had a very rough time drilling out the ignition bolts. I guess my angle was a little off and I ended up off center when I was done drilling, and there was still quite a bit of bolt head left. I went to my neighbors house who had a drill press and we spent some time trying to get it out without gouging out the assembly. No luck yet but I went home and this morning got my dremmel out and had sucess (dremmel is your friend in this case). If you have access to a drill press from the start it would help keep you in line with the drilling. All of the rest of the install went very well and was simple. I did take my tank completely off, it was not very hard at all.

I am getting over the flu so no big ride today, but the wife and I rode around the neighborhood today and I must say the bar position feels very very good (forward position).

Although it is a very expensive chunk of aluminum, I like it.

I've checked everything once again. I did relocate the throttle cables and there are no cable ties on the clutch/brake lines. In the forward position there is plenty of slack but the clutch/brake lines still seem a little tight with the bars in the rear positions at full lock. Maybe I'm just being a bit anal as I can turn the bars to full lock and I know that 99% of the time the bars will be more or less centered. I have to say even with the bars in the forward position, the ergo's are much, much better. I'll probably leave them there for a while and see how it goes.

Overall, still a great mod and I'm happy with them.

I did my install tonight. You don't really need to remove the tank - just hinge it up, put in a 6" prop block, remove the frame stiffener, and lift up the heat shield to get to the ignition switch connectors. Drilling the ignition screws out was easy using the suggested drill sizes, but I'm sure my drill press made it a bit easier. I mounted the bars in the rearmost position. The complete job took me just over 2 hours while being very careful along the way.

I routed the throttle cables between the handlebar and the fork adjuster as instructed after rerouting to move them inside of all the brake lines down along the steering head. This gave them plenty of slack. The upper brake line routes just aboard of the cables slightly above and inside the damping knob and I bundled all three together with a cable tie to keep the brake hose from wandering outside of the damper knob. With the spring preload backed all the out (I'm not that heavy and always ride solo), the brake hose seems to press a little hard on the rebound damping knob but I think it's okay. Those of you with more spring preload should not have a problem. This routing gave the best slack for my situation.

I'll take it for a quick shake-down ride after work tomorrow and report on the ergos.

I just had time for a short ride but the position seems much better. I will give it a few weeks before adding my wedge blocks to level the bars out with the ground and add about 2" of extra rise without needing extra cable length - maybe it will be fine without them. The other good news is that the rearmost position doesn't interfere with my Marsee tankbag.

A note on the ignition switch bolts - a fellow rider told me he had removed the tamper-proof screws by using a dremel tool to cut a slot and then using a flat blade screwdriver to turn them out. When I removed the remaining drilled studs from the stock triple clamp, they turned out very easily despite have blue loctite on them and I believe this could be an alternate method to remove them on the FJR (without having to reach the connectors). I would imagine that while clamping the ignition switch, they would actually be a bit harder to turn then what I experienced, but doable nevertheless.

I've checked everything once again. I did relocate the throttle cables and there are no cable ties on the clutch/brake lines. In the forward position there is plenty of slack but the clutch/brake lines still seem a little tight with the bars in the rear positions at full lock. Maybe I'm just being a bit anal as I can turn the bars to full lock and I know that 99% of the time the bars will be more or less centered. I have to say even with the bars in the forward position, the ergo's are much, much better. I'll probably leave them there for a while and see how it goes.
Overall, still a great mod and I'm happy with them.
I loosened the banjo fittings on my brake and clutch control units which allowed me to move the lines up and down. I was able to change the angle/ arc of the lines and this increased the slack. I adjusted both lines so each had the same arc and matched, nothing wrong with being a bit anal :rolleyes:

I installed my clamp yesterday and noticed that the brake lines were a bit tight until I repositioned the throttle cables as instructed, then all was fine.

got the clamp install done today - only had time time for a short spin but it feels good.

Rather than use a centre punch to start drilling out the bolts that held the lock barrel in place in the stock clamp, I used a small sharp, carbide tipped tool in the dremel - and made a small pilot mark. I didn't remove the clamp from the bike so I wasn't keen on the idea of hitting the clamp as it rested on the tank and gauges.

All in all, I'm well pleased...... although I am curious if another 3/4" vertical would be even nicer?

Any chance in the near future of this group buy comin back?.......................... :unknw:

Status
Not open for further replies.