Do you “Hang Off” your FJR ??????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing to keep in mind when "returning" is that, you aren't as young as you used to be. That means that your mind may be sharper, (and more full of impotent knowledge) but your reflexes aren't.
People sometimes say that when you pass 40 you're then "over the hill". From a purely metaphysical standpoint it's more like 20.
No question about that. But for most - myself included, it goes beyond being sharper. I can absolutely promise you that I am much more cautious of blind curves, road conditions and other hazards than I was years ago.
Yeah, that's all a part of being "mentally sharper". ;)

On a related note though, I was not your typical roadracer. Most folks who do that started out dirt riding when they were a kid and worked their way up. I never road a dirt bike, and didn't start roadracing until I was 28 years old. There are two sides to that. Had I started younger I think I would have really been good, but I might have really been hurt along the way also.
Another case of Darwinian theory in action. The ones that make it through are the really good ones. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I hang off, way off. I do this all the time because I like the extra safety margin it provides while cornering, and it easier to recover from the bike bucking on you from traction lose or other things when your hung off due to the lower center of gravity and it being on the inside of the corner. Being hung off puts you in position to get to make turn already if you need to tighten up a corner suddenly. I would say it increases contact patch but I can't get to the edge of my tires anyways because I drag pegs before I get that far over.

Fred, some call you that...

Yer a Goober. Yer postin on shtuff from a year ago or more...

Quit that shit...

Sincerely....

WFO...Park City, UT...Haulin Ashe drivin & FJRchick in the back seat...that would be a "Hell Yes"...um, guess ya had to be there.

Could have just said yes but it would not have been near as much fun.
Ummm Yes, the good 'ole days. FJRchick says she's ready to do it again anytime! :D

Thanks for the trip down memory lane with resurrecting this ancient relic. I think I'll go slide my ass off the seat just for kicks. :)

I have only been riding my FJR about 3 months and about 5,000 miles. So consider the source.

If I take a corner setting uptight on this very tall bike, it is very hard.

If I bend my arms a little it is just difficult.

If I slide half a cheek off the seat, "kiss the mirror", and let the inside leg come off the tank; it is like the bike is happy and so am I.

I also noticed I rode 200 miles while moving around on the factory seat and felt fine.

Rode 100 miles back home not moving on the seat and my backside was hurting.

I do not drag my knee, but I do move my foot on the peg and if I had to increase my lean ... I would be there.

I'm just too old and wore out to be hanging off a 600+ pound bike in the corners... I do enjoy (on occasion), however; a spirited, shift your butt ride - otherwise why not just ride a cruiser. :p

Fred, some call you that...

Yer a Goober. Yer postin on shtuff from a year ago or more...

Quit that shit...

Sincerely....
Sadly I didn't even have an FJR when this thread was going. I also don't spend tons of time on the forum so I tend to miss things. Besides I like reviving old threads for others like me.

heck yeah I hang off, somtimes I drag a knee, on occasion I've been able to drag both knees at the same time!