Do you “Hang Off” your FJR ??????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On certain Roads (Highway 7 out of Lyons , Peak to Peak Highway they call it) I hang way off on weekdays traffic permitting. I am a true believer that the FJR is an incredible real world sportbike and believe the extra weight with a good set of tires actually gives more bite, and the weight lend sits self to better stability in winds and in bumpy conditions. I actually enjoy playing around with all the Denver wanna-bee's that ride up there on their 600's, the 600's have no power up at that altitude and the FJR just eats then alive and most of the turns up towards the top are huge sweepers where you can just stay on the gas if you know the turns well. I have even schooled a few with my wife on back (she is more of a speed junkie than I) You just gotta be careful and be at peace with the risk you are taking, also a really good radar detector is a must as the Highway Patrol has been up there allot lately. I am not posting this to diss anyone or their preferred riding style, its just how I ride sometimes when the conditions are ideal, in general I am a very low profile rider as I don't like to attract attention, but sometimes the boy in me comes out to play.

I also want to give cudos to the ABS on this bike. It has saved my bacon twice (not in situations from above) when encountering elk, which is relatively common depending on the season.

... believe the extra weight with a good set of tires actually gives more bite, and the weight lend sits self to better stability in winds and in bumpy conditions.
Heavier is better, then...? :unsure:

...600's, the 600's have no power up at that altitude
Hmmm..., apparently the FJR is immune to the effects of altitude...? :unsure:

...and the FJR just eats then alive
Too bad they don't race FJRs in AMA racing against all those pesky 600s... :unsure:

I also want to give cudos to the ABS on this bike. It has saved my bacon twice ...when encountering elk
How, specifically, does ABS keep you from hitting elk? Does it, for instance, increase braking power...? :unsure:

... believe the extra weight with a good set of tires actually gives more bite, and the weight lend sits self to better stability in winds and in bumpy conditions.
Heavier is better, then...? :unsure: On real roads, yes I believe the weight makes it a more stable bike, more immune to crappy pavement.

Hmmm..., apparently the FJR is immune to the effects of altitude...? :unsure: No, but when you have a big bore bike its breaths more air, so it does have advantages at altitude of a smaller motor that relies on rpm for power delivery.

Too bad they don't race FJRs in AMA racing against all those pesky 600s... :unsure: Its not a race bike built for perfect track conditions like today's 600's hence "I think it is a great real world sportbike"

I also want to give cudos to the ABS on this bike. It has saved my bacon twice ...when encountering elk
How, specifically, does ABS keep you from hitting elk? Does it, for instance, increase braking power...? :unsure:
No but its does work exceptionally well when making emergencies stops, I am sure I would have been fine but as for this being my first bike with ABS, I was impressed.

Heavier is better, then...? :unsure: On real roads, yes I believe the weight makes it a more stable bike, more immune to crappy pavement.

Hmmm..., apparently the FJR is immune to the effects of altitude...? :unsure: No, but when you have a big bore bike its breaths more air, so it does have advantages at altitude of a smaller motor that relies on rpm for power delivery.

Too bad they don't race FJRs in AMA racing against all those pesky 600s... :unsure: Its not a race bike built for perfect track conditions like today's 600's hence "I think it is a great real world sportbike"

No but its does work exceptionally well when making emergencies stops, I am sure I would have been fine but as for this being my first bike with ABS, I was impressed.

I've been off as far as I dare to on the side and still drug my pegs a few times. So what do you do, hang off further. I'm 45 going on 20 so I tend to push it a little hard, but I think the real value of moving your weight around is to simply get familiar with doing it and have it so that it's 2nd nature.

The fact is, when you get into a corner too tight, too fast, square on your seat and alreay leaning over, you have two options (1) Brake and kiss your ass good bye. (2) Get your ass off the seat.

Wheelied for the camera on the Dragon in September. I bet the camera guy was glad my instinct was to move my ass or I would have been all over his.