DOH!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Hice

Reaction score
Well it's nothing near as bad as I have seen other complain about but I got my first road rash today. I am still out practicing and getting the feel of the new bike. I have a 5 mile stretch of light to moderate curves that I keep going back and fourth on. When I got to work today I looked and noticed I have been dragging my left saddlebag :( Oh well, my fault for putting them back on again. I had been learning to ride without them so if I dropped it I wouldn't ruin the bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got to work today I looked and noticed I have been dragging my left saddlebag :( Oh well, my fault for putting them back on again.
WTF?

Care to give us more details? How were you dragging it? Did you not have it on properly or were you leaning that far?

Well it's nothing near as bad as I have seen other complain about but I got my first road rash today. I am still out practicing and getting the feel of the new bike. I have a 5 mile stretch of light to moderate curves that I keep going back and fourth on. When I got to work today I looked and noticed I have been dragging my left saddlebag :( Oh well, my fault for putting them back on again. I had been learning to ride without them so if I dropped it I wouldn't ruin the bags.

You can drag your left saddlebag without pegs, centerstand, or exhaust touching first? :blink:

Maybe he meant he left the lid open... :huh:

Daniel, if you're dragging the sidebags with the lids closed, you got mad skilz baby... :lol:

Yea man, i know what you mean, Yesterday i was out practicing my stoppies and i kept dragging my headlight covers. I've already ground off 2 inches from the front of my front fender. Also used up 3 sets of bar ends already.These bikes are just so HOT. :D

Yea man, i know what you mean, Yesterday i was out practicing my stoppies and i kept dragging my headlight covers. I've already ground off 2 inches from the front of my front fender. Also used up 3 sets of bar ends already.These bikes are just so HOT. :D

:clapping: :D :p :yahoo:

... a 5 mile stretch of light to moderate curves that I keep going back and fourth on...
Those five miles of road must be very picturesque! They’ve got some areas like that near Lake Powell. Yup, that brings back memories!

starnew.jpg
<--------->
kab1.jpg

Ya Right. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D :D

I didn't drag my bags but I did drag my toes yesterday. I asked my wife should I worry that I was just casually running through a turn and surprised myself when my foot hit pavement. (yes the foot was on the peg :p )

That is...

Worry that I did it easily without trying or thinking about it or WORRY that I did it easily without trying or thinking about it! Most of the time when I am thinking about it I back off and don't do it.

Ok never mind I guess. Apparently I have the only FJR that will do this? I didn't say I had mad skills. I fucked up and went into a corner way to damn fast and when I came out the saddlebag had made contact. I'm not here to see whos balls are bigger, you win really, I quite frankly don't care. I was just posting to state I fucked up, it's that simple. I'll post a pic tonight when I get home if you like but of course I guess I will have to photoshop it first right.

EDIT: Well after reading my first post I didn't state anything about the fact that this was a **** up, it actually sounds like I have been doing it for fun. With that in mind I fully understand the responses, here is what actually happened.

Lengthier version:

I have a 5 mile stretch of road near my house that has a very low traffic load and plenty of curves which range from entry level curves up to about a 130+ degree turn back. My mind went off track for a bit on my last pass up there and when I came back to I misread where I was on the road, I thought I was about a mile off of where I actually was. I was going 50-55 and suddenly realized that I wasn't coming into the curve I thought I was but instead into the 130 degree turn. I braked quickly but didn't drop nearly as much speed as I needed to at my skill level to make the turn prior to having to lay off the brakes and lean in. My MSF instructors drilled it into my head to never give up on a turn, just lean, lean, lean. They said at worst case you loose it and push it out from under you, apparently that's better than driving it straight off the end of the road, seems right. Anyways that is all that was going through my head because I knew I was about to loose my brand new machine. I layed it over as hard and fast as I thought I could push it and it snapped around that turn like it was on rails. The rush was amazing though I have no plans to try my luck again because I don't have the skill level to back up the luck. I have no marks on the left peg but I have scratches on the left saddlebag and the edge of the reflector. I will post a pic for giggles though apparently no one believes one of these is capable of touching these parts so I don't know what point it will serve.

Um, hice? Where's the popcorn? Start something like this....you gotta bring corn....at least, fermented corn....mkay?

Ok, but what did you use to clean the shit stains outta your pants?

I was intrigued enough to go out to the garage, put a saddlebag on, and with the bike on the centerstand (rear suspension fully extended, as opposed to tire on the ground, weighted and suspension compressed by the force of the turn), a straitedge from edge of tire discloses that you could scrape the saddlebag before you got an OEM muffler to touch down. Still not sure this would be possible in real world turning conditions, but benefit of doubt given.

Still, the pegs would have been down LONG before that (which can be very disconcerting) and your inside foot must've been riding a rising and road scraping peg. It IS admirable that you would keep pushing the bike lower instead of braking and standing it up (not always easy, but the right thing to do). Still, if you got the FJR THAT low in the situation you described, and if and you made it out of that turn, there is NO WAY that you don't have soiled under garments. THAT low, and you've had a serous bout with that "OH SHIT I'm gonna crash" moment we all prefer to avoid -- you know: the one where you're about to look to see where you're gonna land.

um...what exactly were you measuring, skibum? Or, should we stop right there?

exskibum.....got to remember....the bag reflectors are put on @ the dealer.....(at least they were in 04)....so there placement might have something to do with it.....but I'm with you Rich....had to have changed his underwear after that one :( ..... :eek: