FJR Mileage Milestones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it still run and operate correctly? Did you cut open the filter to examine what was in it? I think Yamaha might want to buy it from you, or offer you a solid deal on a newer one. ScooterG, hasn't the mothership bought other customers high mileage bikes for a tear down inspection in the past?

A lot has happened since I was at the Rally in Marietta. I was on a record pace to hit a new mileage record for the year, my old record was 62,211 in 2012. My 2003 FJR1300, had 395,110 miles when I noticed shavings when I changed my oil the last time. So close to 400,000 miles, alas the repairs would make it too expensive, I decided to let Ole Grey rest, and I purchased a clone 2003 with 51,367 miles on it and start my new journey on my new bike. I had such good luck with Ole Grey, that I thought I'd stick with the same model and thus have parts from Ole Grey to use on my Clone. I had 50,943 on Ole Grey through 9/18/14. I had put 379,002 miles on Ole Grey since '06, and 200,000 in the last 4 years. A moment of silence for Ole Grey, Please. Thank you and ride safe.
This is going to sound insane, but any chance you might transfer the instrument cluster and odometer from Ole Grey to New Grey?

I'm interested in Goatboy's question too.

Do we have a separate thread the documents our mileage for the calendar year? I can't seem to find it, if it exist.

TominCA, Thanks for the picture tribute to Ole Grey, and thanks for the confidence in me to hit 1,000,000 miles. To answer 03 Silver Bullet and rPGoatboy, Ole Grey turned 395,000 in Fly, Ohio and 110 miles home. Then I changed the oil and found the shavings and had it trailered out to the shop. When they checked it out the slider opposite CCT was broken, which allowed slack in the chain and it rubbed the side case and was tearing it up and that's what caused the shavings. Also, it was leaking oil and so no I could not ride it any longer. That's why I bought another 03 and am currently riding it. Also, I had replacement parts ready to do this winter for this very problem, but it didn't make it. Also, I would like to know if anyone can help me as I would like to put the 100,000,200,000,300,000 and bambi badges that others have on their page. The place I purchased my 03 from was already checking to see if Yamaha wanted to do anything for me, before this happened, have not heard a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gray Ghost. Everyone make a mental note: At about 350,000 miles you might want to consider changing out the chain damper (9) (5JW-12251-00-00 $37.09) during your 13th or 14th valve check.

Gray Ghost: I can help with all those avatars (?).

First you don't need 100K or 200K as you went past 300K. Each higher avatar cancels out the lower one. I did make up a special one for you at 300K and you used it for a while, the one with the crown, as your ID picture.
300K%2003CLUB%20CROWN-Th.jpg

First: Look at the upper right corner of this web page. Find "The Gray Ghost"; and click on the down arrow.
Click on My Settings.
On the left side, click on Signature. In the post window, you can create or edit you signature as noted:

Copy the URL of the avatar you want or right click on this one:

300K%2003CLUB.jpg
and copy Image URL.

Click on the little picture in the middle of the tool bar. It will ask for the URL just copied..
Clicky here for your special avatar showing 395K.
300K%2003CLUB-Th.jpg

While you are there you can right click on the deer with the track through it in my signature and copy or right click on this one:
deerstrike1.jpg

When done it will look like this:

300K%2003CLUB-Th.jpg
deerstrike1.jpg

Ken

Guess I can post up...

Recently past 80,000 km (50,000 mi) on Cherise, my original '07 FJR. :yahoo:

Currently at 85k and change. Should be footnoted that she went down in Aug 2012 and was not resurrected until June of this year.

Don't know how much I've put on Jess, my second '07 FJR, in those 20 months in between.

A lot has happened since I was at the Rally in Marietta. I was on a record pace to hit a new mileage record for the year, my old record was 62,211 in 2012. My 2003 FJR1300, had 395,110 miles when I noticed shavings when I changed my oil the last time. So close to 400,000 miles, alas the repairs would make it too expensive, I decided to let Ole Grey rest, and I purchased a clone 2003 with 51,367 miles on it and start my new journey on my new bike. I had such good luck with Ole Grey, that I thought I'd stick with the same model and thus have parts from Ole Grey to use on my Clone. I had 50,943 on Ole Grey through 9/18/14. I had put 379,002 miles on Ole Grey since '06, and 200,000 in the last 4 years. A moment of silence for Ole Grey, Please. Thank you and ride safe.
Holy cow!

RIP, Ole Grey.

TominCA, Thanks for the picture tribute to Ole Grey, and thanks for the confidence in me to hit 1,000,000 miles. To answer 03 Silver Bullet and rPGoatboy, Ole Grey turned 395,000 in Fly, Ohio and 110 miles home. Then I changed the oil and found the shavings and had it trailered out to the shop. When they checked it out the slider opposite CCT was broken, which allowed slack in the chain and it rubbed the side case and was tearing it up and that's what caused the shavings. Also, it was leaking oil and so no I could not ride it any longer. That's why I bought another 03 and am currently riding it. Also, I had replacement parts ready to do this winter for this very problem, but it didn't make it. Also, I would like to know if anyone can help me as I would like to put the 100,000,200,000,300,000 and bambi badges that others have on their page. The place I purchased my 03 from was already checking to see if Yamaha wanted to do anything for me, before this happened, have not heard a thing.
Wow...just saw this. Sorry to hear the news about your bike (Ole Grey), Gray Ghost...and good luck with the new one.

Hope to see you again, at the SE Ohio Ramble in Marietta next spring.

395,000...that is an amazing amount of miles on a motorcycle!

Even more amazing since you did it in Ohio were the roads aren't exactly straight and it's awful sketchy getting very many miles in between December and the first of March.

Good for you...here's to the next 395,000.

I can't top Ole Grey (congratulations by the way), however, I have reached a certain milestone this past weekend...

IMG_0032_zps9b11fa36.jpg

Some of you may remember 4 1/2 years ago of the wreck of my Tangerine / DOT Lime Yellow painted '06 AE. It happened not far from where this picture was taken. Shortly after midnight on July 3rd, 2010 the driver of a Chevy Silverado pickup truck made a left turn across my lane. We were up on a levee - highway 160, just south of Walnut Grove California. He was a local driver, on his way home from work, no alcohol involved. I was traveling with my cruise set to 55mph and listening to the tunes on my iPad. He must have seen my twin headlights and thought it was a car still a ways away, plenty of time to make the turn off the levee onto Walker Landing Road safely. It happened so quick, I was just astonished at the turn of events. In the blink of an eye, the truck's headlights made the quick move toward my right, and the last thing I remembered was seeing the truck's grill work. The bike took out his right headlight, and messed up the whole right side of his truck. The force of the impact launched me over the handlebars with my legs flipped high overhead. My helmet breached his windshield putting what was described as a pumpkin sized hole just in front of the unoccupied passenger seat. The momentum of my body pulled the helmet back out of the glass as I was propelled over the truck. As best as I can reconstruct in my mind, my left arm must have hit the tail gate as I was coming to a landing on my back behind the truck. Needless to say the bike was destroyed by the impact.

I can count on both hands the times I had a passenger on this bike, however I never rode alone, My co-pilot always rides with me. That early morning he sure got my attention: He kept me from greater harm, He's been guiding me ever since.

Back to the above picture, what you see is two sets of instruments. The lower one is my current bike - 1 month older than the wrecked one. The upper one from the wrecked bike. I was able to power it up using my battery tender lead.

88744 miles

Lord willing, I intend to keep this bike for a while. Who knows, these being the Last Days spoken of in scripture, perhaps until He comes again to rule and reign.

We shall see.

Brodie
rolleyes.gif

Wow.

Quite a milestone, Brodie. Here's to another 88,744 safe miles on the new bike.

jeeeeez, reading through this thread it makes turning 30K barely even worth mentioning....

grin.gif

I just wish I had more time to ride!!

A buddy of mine at work just bought a Harley from his uncle. It's something like a 2002 but it's only got 3k on it. When he told me I was like "3K?! That's one trip!!!"

One thing is for sure - it's clean

A guy at work was bragging about his Harley, about how he rides all the time on his '05 FLHXTGHFYETDFVB and how he's racked up nearly 8000 miles. I laughed out loud, nearly spewed my coffee. Everyone had a nice chuckle when I said I had an '07, bought in '08, that has >79K miles on it. Then we had a civil chat about windshields, rain gear, etc. It's all good.

Brodie - that story was aweful and wonderful all in the same paragraph. I hope you have a million miles of safe roads ahead.

Bought my Gen II (2006) almost exactly 12 months ago with 58,300 on it. Figured almost 17K in one year wasn't too bad for a newbie who hasn't had a bike in about 20 years. Helped a lot by a 70 mile round-trip commute and a 4K+ trip out to Colorado from VaBeach this last summer.

fjr75k.png