FJR vs Cruiser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howitzur

Reaction score
Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous, uncomfortable, and ugly (IMO). But when I mentioned I am possibly considering a FJR they about flipped a lid. My Sgt. has a 07 Vulcan 2000 and wouldnt hear it. He thinks ill have the same issues that I have with my current bike; Yam 06 FZ6. The problems are the monkey butt, sore back, stiff arms, the usual with sport-like bikes. A few others have HD street glide, Yam 1300, Suzuki 50ci cruisers and all say the same. There main thing is that Cruisers are more comfortable than sport tourers.

I need y'alls best, unbias, opinion on what route I should take. I dont give a rat's heinie what they would think if i did get a FJR. I have not ridden one, but have ridden cruisers before and find them comfortable. Help me in my desicion process! :yahoo:

P.S. I am 50/50 in my decision b/w a FJR1300A and a Kaw Vulcan Nomad.

I owned a cruiser. I own an FJR and will never look back as I can ride farther and faster and MUCH safer. I might get a cruiser sometime to putter with buddies again, but the FJR is definitely my choice. What should you choose? Dunno.......it's up to you.

I have an 08' Harley Road Glide and an 05' FJR. I love both of them. I have been on long trips on the cruiser but have not ridden on the FJR longer than an hour. I am 6'1" and weigh in at 290. I never thought I could ride a bike like the FJR comfortably but I think I can. The only problem I have had so far is my throttle hand going to sleep because I have to grip the throttle so tightly. I am going to get that fixed. I think because of the different riding position you can stay in the saddle longer without getting a sore butt. T.

I think this is the bike for you, and your Sgt.

wind2zr7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous, uncomfortable, and ugly (IMO). But when I mentioned I am possibly considering a FJR they about flipped a lid. My Sgt. has a 07 Vulcan 2000 and wouldnt hear it. He thinks ill have the same issues that I have with my current bike; Yam 06 FZ6. The problems are the monkey butt, sore back, stiff arms, the usual with sport-like bikes. A few others have HD street glide, Yam 1300, Suzuki 50ci cruisers and all say the same. There main thing is that Cruisers are more comfortable than sport tourers. I need y'alls best, unbias, opinion on what route I should take. I dont give a rat's heinie what they would think if i did get a FJR. I have not ridden one, but have ridden cruisers before and find them comfortable. Help me in my desicion process! :yahoo:

The biggest draw back with cruisers is that they are just plain ugly.... I think that they are so ugly that if they were the only bike available, I would rather walk or buy a car instead... Does your sgt look like the army dude in the Village People?.... :p Another good reason NOT to buy a cruiser.

Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous, uncomfortable, and ugly (IMO). But when I mentioned I am possibly considering a FJR they about flipped a lid. My Sgt. has a 07 Vulcan 2000 and wouldnt hear it. He thinks ill have the same issues that I have with my current bike; Yam 06 FZ6. The problems are the monkey butt, sore back, stiff arms, the usual with sport-like bikes. A few others have HD street glide, Yam 1300, Suzuki 50ci cruisers and all say the same. There main thing is that Cruisers are more comfortable than sport tourers. I need y'alls best, unbias, opinion on what route I should take. I dont give a rat's heinie what they would think if i did get a FJR. I have not ridden one, but have ridden cruisers before and find them comfortable. Help me in my desicion process! :yahoo:

Well, first off, it is somewhat naive to think you would get an unbiased opinion here on an FJR Forum. Obviously we all like the bikes enough to talk about them on line.

As to comfort, I'm willing to wager that none of the "cruzer" people you mentioned has ever ridden an FJR or any other true Sport-Touring bike before. A sport touring bike is so much more comfortable than a cruiser that it is ludicrous for them to suggest otherwise.

While they may appear slightly similar to sport bikes to the unknowing, there is a huge difference in terms of body position and comfort. That is just the in the stock form. And then most of us make mods (aka farkles) to make them even more comfortable. Bar risers, Touring seats, bigger shields in winter. These are extremely capable LONG DISTANCE TOURING bikes.

Want some evidence? Check out the results from any Iron Butt Rally or LD Endurance Tour. Count how many sport tourers are there (FJRs, Honda STs, BMW RT's, etc.) now compare that the number of cruisers and sport bikes. You can't? That's because there are none. Nobody would ride a chopper style bike for really long distances or they'd need back surgury.

And we haven't even touched on any performance advantages (which are huge).

Need more evidence. Go ride one then report back.

I have an fz6 and an fjr. The monkey butt is the seat which you can remedy. Pricey but it can be taken care of(russell daylong). I also had a couple valkyries and the difference you will find it that you kind of sit on the cruiser and it putts its way to where you are going. With the fjr and fz6I(which I love) you are riding to where you are going. You start to appreciate the twisties etc. Sport bikes are great for what they are, just lilke harleys are great for what they are but you aren't going to do many miles on either (unless its the touring model harley). The fjr is one of the best bangs for the buck. The fz6 might even be a better bang for the buck. Demo the fjr and buy what you want. Ride safe. ps you can get risers for the fazer which work great. good luck

The cruisers and sport tourers are two different ways to ride comfortably. The cruiser is the easy-chair with a foot-rest thingie to prop your feet up. The FJR/ST13/C14 are the upright desk chair, with your feet beneath. For an all-day tour or everyday commute, I'll take the upright seating where I'm not stuck in one position. I also think I have better awareness of what's around me on the FJR because moving on the seat is not an issue and I sit higher.

The FJR is also a better jack of all trades. It's not a Gixxer in the tightest curves, but it's pretty darned fast. Wait at the next stop sign for your sgt to catch up. Cruisers take work to ride through a set of twisties, unless at a cruise pace. Running errands, it's a lot easier to start/stop/get off/repeat with the FJR. I ride all year and the weather protection of the FJR outstrips most cruisers. Pop the luggage on or off. The wife likes the topcase as a backrest.

I like trading with friends for their Triumph Rocket or Harley to get ice cream in town, but bought an FJR for me.

Bob

My sun has a Suzuki Boulevard, I have the FJR. I ride the FJ as my daily transportation. I could not conceive of doing so with a cruiser.

The seating position on the FJR has almost nothing in common with the true sportbikes like your Fizzer; it's much more upright, less weight on the bars, and most of us put on a set of risers (generally <$100) to bring the bars up and back just a little bit more.) About the only thing that compares in the seating position is that your feet are under you, which of course lets you weight the pegs in the twisties; hard to do when your feet are up at the front wheel.

The thing nobody has mentioned is carrying capacity. With a top case added to the sidebags, you can get a week's worth of groceries home on the bike. Or go for a weekend with a laptop, 2 cameras, a rain suit, and enough clothes to be clean every day.

Until you get on one this is all just speculation. Like explaining sex to an 8-year-old. Unitl it's been experienced, you just can't possibly understand.

Ride one. When you buy it, put it on the centerstand and let them sit on it. It'll be the only time they can see anything in front of the taillights.

I owned a cruiser. I own an FJR and will never look back as I can ride farther and faster and MUCH safer. I might get a cruiser sometime to putter with buddies again, but the FJR is definitely my choice. What should you choose? Dunno.......it's up to you.
+1 (especially on the "it's up to you" part)

tell your sgt to go f himself and see what happens next promotion cycle! :rolleyes:

ask any of them if they've ever ridden anything other than a cruiser. odds are they haven't or not long enough to let their muscles adapt to the more upright position of the FJR. ask them how they stand on their pegs when riding rough roads when they're locked into the Flying-C riding position (feet and hands forward). ask them about their cornering clearance, the time it takes to polish their chrome, and what they consider an "average day" (miles). then consider your willingness to not conform to their clearly-strong peer pressure.

i've owned (and lived with): cruisers, standards, sport-touring, and luxo-touring bikes. the FJR is the most neutral riding position so far.

Want some evidence? Check out the results from any Iron Butt Rally or LD Endurance Tour. Count how many sport tourers are there (FJRs, Honda STs, BMW RT's, etc.) now compare that the number of cruisers and sport bikes. You can't? That's because there are none. Nobody would ride a chopper style bike for really long distances or they'd need back surgury.
not completely accurate. while choppers might not show up, both sport and cruiser designs have done the IBR and shorter rallies. check last place finisher in the 2003 IBR - hint - it was on a true sport bike.

Might i suggest that the original poster start by ending the circle of slamming other riders? To stand around and join in on the slamming of sport bike riders leaves little moral ground to stand on against them when they turn on you for failing to conform to their nonconformity.

I have a HD sporster 1300R and until recently a 06 FJR-The FJR is hands down the best all around bike -the sporster is fun to ride for short local and around town trips. The sporster has okay power, brakes, corning, and poor comfort for anything but short trips and poor wind protection. It does look great and handles really well at slow speeds and in rough terrain because of its low center of gravity feels much lighter than it is. The FJR has scary power,excellent brakes,corners likes its on rails,great wind /cold protection and all day riding comfort. The FJR riding position fits me where the sporster feels good when you first sit on it but becomes uncomfortable quickly.When riding the sporster 65-70 feels like your flying. On the FJR highway speeds fell like your barely moving. Different bikes made for a different purpose. It depends on your riding style and preference.

failing to conform to their nonconformity.

hm.............um........................what?

OH WELL........

FUZZY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy the fjr if you want ,it can be made to sit in a upright position. Pretty darn close the way it is . I have own'd GWings ,HD gides and dyna's, even a r* and now a fjr and like it with the few changes that i have made. I may change agin in a few years ,who know's. Just don't let your so call friends pressuring you to buy what you don't want. If I had a (1200) not 1300 sportsterI would keep it and buy the fjr too, then you you have both worlds. One for local fun rides and one for gett'n down the road..

Some things to think about; style of riding are you a bar hoper poser or do you want to get out and go? The Cruisers your legs are out in front and when you hit a bump your back really takes a hit. Sport Torres when you hit the bump you can use your legs an arms as a shock. I am 6'4" and 250 Lbs 56 years old and I can do four or five hundred mile days four or five days in a row (and not want to go home). I could have never done that on the old Pan that first I made in to a Low rider the restored or the chopper Triumph's or the old style Cafe Triumph Trident I use to ride. I miss that old Panhead I miss my old Ariel Sq Four and I wish that life had been kinder and that I still had them I still have an old Trident. But I have to tell ya that the Cruisers are why I have three compressed disks in my lower back.

Hear is a thought for you find a place to rent each style of bike that you’re thinking about that’s what I did. I new I didn't want a cruiser so I went strait to a ST1100 great bike, then a 04 FJR, then the ST1300 rented each a couple of times this process coasted me a couple of grand over a couple of years each year I did four day 1500 mile rides and I knew that I found the style of bike I wanted. So this last Sept 1st I now own my first new vehicle ever a 07 FJR1300 the weather up here hasn't been great but I've put 3500 miles on it and I know I made the right choice don't let anyone dog pile on you make your own choice be true to yourself. I didn't by my FJR because I though it was the best looking bike because it isn't, I bought it because I can ride it ride hard put it away dirty and ride it some more! I know I won’t be looking back either. Good luck!

Well, first off, it is somewhat naive to think you would get an unbiased opinion here on an FJR Forum. Obviously we all like the bikes enough to talk about them on line.

As to comfort, I'm willing to wager that none of the "cruzer" people you mentioned has ever ridden an FJR or any other true Sport-Touring bike before. A sport touring bike is so much more comfortable than a cruiser that it is ludicrous for them to suggest otherwise.

While they may appear slightly similar to sport bikes to the unknowing, there is a huge difference in terms of body position and comfort. That is just the in the stock form. And then most of us make mods (aka farkles) to make them even more comfortable. Bar risers, Touring seats, bigger shields in winter. These are extremely capable LONG DISTANCE TOURING bikes.

And we haven't even touched on any performance advantages (which are huge).

Need more evidence. Go ride one then report back.

Well, I stated "unbias" due to the how many of yall have more than one bike. So far, my mind has started to wage toward the FJR. 13 replies in such a small amount of time is great. Y'all are big helps. Ill keep ya posted. A local Dealer in the Ft. Worth area has 04 FJR A for $8500. Has 28k miles.

Well, I stated "unbias" due to the how many of yall have more than one bike. So far, my mind has started to wage toward the FJR. 13 replies in such a small amount of time is great. Y'all are big helps. Ill keep ya posted. A local Dealer in the Ft. Worth area has 04 FJR A for $8500. Has 28k miles.
Unless you feel the need to buy from a dealer, I'm quite certain you can do better than that. Nothing wrong with an '04 and the 28k is mid mileage (not high, not low) but the price is kinda high.

Go give it a ride though and that way you'll know if the bike is right for you. Check the classifieds on here and I'll bet you could find a second gen for that kind of money. (second gen is '06 and later).

OK, thanks. What should I look for when I do go look at a FJR. What are problem areas in the gen 1's and Gen 2's. 8500 seemed a little high for a 4 year old bike, but its the one with ABS.

Tanner

There will be no objective comment on this topic. Never.

Personally, I find beauty in cruisers, but they don't fit me, or my riding style. I toyed with buying a V-Star last year, but the FJR was simply more comfortable and practical, for me. For weekend cruiser-types, however, the FJR wouldn't work.

Pick the one that makes you happiest. If they both make you happy, get both.

OK, thanks. What should I look for when I do go look at a FJR. What are problem areas in the gen 1's and Gen 2's. 8500 seemed a little high for a 4 year old bike, but its the one with ABS. Tanner
1st gens have a valve problem called being "tickers". 2nd gens don't. Also, listen to the valve train. It should be quiet. Noisy valve train could be a precursor to thrown chain and attendant head damage.

2nd gens have improved airflow for less heat on the rider. Some seem sensitive to this.

Lots of articles on here. Use search for more about buying. REad the FAQs if nothing else.

As a price comparison. I bought my '05 ABS w/ 9k miles about 18 months ago for $8995 at a local reseller (he buys the trade-ins from dealers and resells them). It was a good deal, but not a fantasmic deal.