FJRBluesman is Buying Lunch in NorCal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mormon Emigrant Trail is open
Good to know. Thanks, Sam. Do you or anyone else know FOR SURE if Wentworth Springs Road is open (free of snow drifts all the way across the road) all the way to Ice House Road? It's certainly open out to Eleven Pines Road (did the loop over Mosquito Ridge Road a couple weeks ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mormon Emigrant Trail is open
Good to know. Thanks, Sam. Do you or anyone else know FOR SURE if Wentworth Springs Road is open all the way to Ice House Road? It's certainly open out to Eleven Pines Road (did the loop over Mosquito Ridge Road a couple weeks ago).
A group of friends lead 50 bikes or so up Wentworth last weekend to do laps. I didn't join because:

#1 Large groups aren't my cup of tea.

#2 A group that large tends to attract CHP and lotsa' tickets (which were issued, I hear a CHP helicopter was also involved). If we do want to bomb WWS, I suggest taking it slow and easy till we hit Stumpy Meadows and then maybe have some fun in the twisties.

I have no reason to believe there won't be heavy CHP presence again this weekend.

A small part of the group took Icehouse Road to US 50, but they reported some "interesting" riding on Icehouse Road, I think they were referring to debris, but it is open!

As to your query of WWS being absolutely free of snow drifts across the lanes - I do not know, but I will ask the peeps who were there last weekend.

I will also note here that even Mormon Emigrant trail was not entirely free of snow drifts, as you could see from the pic there is still a lot of snow piled alongside the road, coming around corners some snow chunks were actually on the road, but since I ain't that fast, I had enough time to navigate around them.

I, myself, have earned a performance award on Wentworth Springs Road about a half mile west of Eleven Pines Road on the Blackbird back in August 2006. Managed to get an acquittal, though. :D

On nice summer weekends, the CHP DO periodically hang out on Icehouse and Wentworth Springs roads, usually motor officers sitting in the shadows of the pines with RADAR, specifically targeting motorcycles. I don't plan on doing any real speeding there on Sunday. It's a 55 mph road, and while I don't know the reason for sure (there are two other possibilities), it might have been my beef with the lack of postings westbound that got me the acquittal. I've since noticed that there are more 55 mph signs on that road than when I fought the ticket in '06.

... would that we could, but we can't...
...I already have plans...
... I also have prior plans....
... I definitely wanted to be there....
I ... maybe next time....
InsultBunny.jpg

Just kidding. We're gonna miss you guys.

Happy Father's Day, all.

Thanks, Sam and Rich.

Since I've no life, I'm going to "pre-ride" a route tomorrow morning, and hopefully be able to determine a start time

that'll have us arriving at Poor Red's just before noon.

Then, after checking with exskibum and MadMike (ride-planning gods), we'll post a meet-up time.

Sound good?

Suggestions or demands?

(If anyone wants to join me, lemme know.)

BTW. Bokerfork (Mark) underwent a successful rotator cuff surgery yesterday. (They were having a "package special",

so they went ahead and neutered him while he was under.)

Anyway. For that reason, he'll not be joining us.

OK heard back from one guy who says that there was one section past the Cattle gate which had water, snow and debris past weekend.

Do you know where the cattle gate is on Wentworth? I don't remember.

OK heard back from one guy who says that there was one section past the Cattle gate which had water, snow and debris past weekend.
Do you know where the cattle gate is on Wentworth? I don't remember.
I was up there last Sunday when you were too busy to ride MR :rolleyes: .

The snow was over the "top" on the east side way down to stop sign. No big deal if your watching the road, only in one lane. I turned around to head back to George town at that point.

No cops - whew!

Not knowing how "tricky" you want to get with a route....

Starbucks @ Foresthill Rd. through Cool and Georgetown, Wentworth Springs Rd. to Ice House Rd. to Hwy 50, East to Sly Park Rd., Rt. on Pleasant Valley Rd @ Newton (where the road would change names to Mt. Aukum Rd.) and down to ElDorado/Poor Reds is 107 miles/2:18 in Mapsource. Add a "fudge factor" (to allow for pictures-rest stops-etc.) and call it 3 hours+.

Got more ideas about riding on the North side of Hwy 50 through Pollock Pines, etc.?

Yeah right, FJRBluesman buying lunch would be like SkooterG buying you a beer: Not happening in this lifetime and probably not in the next one either! Have fun everybody and Happy Father's Day!

Yeah right, FJRBluesman buying lunch would be like SkooterG buying you a beer: Not happening in this lifetime and probably not in the next one either! Have fun everybody and Happy Father's Day!
Es muy loco papa chuy!
Mi amigo beemerdons, el almuerzo se le pagará por si desea mostrar hasta, Poor Red's BBQ. Usted lo siento tonto! :D

And happy Father's Day to you too. ;)

Es muy loco papa chuy!
Mi amigo beemerdons, el almuerzo se le pagará por si desea mostrar hasta, Poor Red's BBQ. Usted lo siento tonto! :D

Little rusty with my southern English Don but I think he just asked you for a date :)

It read to me more like a discussion of who's gonna pitch and who's gonna catch! :finger:

Happy Dad's Day everyone, from across the country! Y'all ride safe now, y'hear?

Es muy loco papa chuy!

Little rusty with my southern English Don but I think he just asked you for a date :)
Bugnatr: So what else is new with Simon - FJRBluesman! At least he was very formal and polite about it!

RadioHowie, Papa Chuy is just like the famous LA Dodger Fernando Valenzuela; I only pitch, I don't catch!!!

Who's leaving from the Sac area in the morning? Let's ride up to Auburn together.

What a day it will be. Just us and the CHP. (Hey, sounds like a lyric.)

On further reflection, to the tune of "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo," "You and Me and the CHP." That'll probably get stuck in my head now. :wacko:

Not knowing how "tricky" you want to get with a route....Starbucks @ Foresthill Rd. through Cool and Georgetown, Wentworth Springs Rd. to Ice House Rd. to Hwy 50, East to Sly Park Rd., Rt. on Pleasant Valley Rd @ Newton (where the road would change names to Mt. Aukum Rd.) and down to ElDorado/Poor Reds is 107 miles/2:18 in Mapsource. Add a "fudge factor" (to allow for pictures-rest stops-etc.) and call it 3 hours+.
I've been discussing this route with Rich.

We're awaiting Old Michael's assessment after his pre-ride today but if everything is "Go!" the plan is....

Kickstands Up: 0900!

Rich and Judy will be @ Starbucks around 0830. Me too.

Sacramento Mike (aka:Birthday Boy), I haven't decided on my route to Starbucks. Probably not Hwy 99 to I-80. From Elk Grove I have several options: White Rock thru Folsom to Auburn-Folsom Rd. to Auburn, White Rock to El Dorado Hills Blvd./Salmon Falls Rd.to Hwy 49 north to Auburn. As mercurial as I can be sometimes, who knows?

All the roads are clear, dry, and clean.

A coupla thoughts about the route and the ride.

Most everyone involved knows the area and the roads very well. Therefore, a bit of "shared destination" planning might work best.

I'd like to take 49 past Cool, and turn on Pleasant Valley Road. PVR to 193. Then, instead of taking 193 'back' (left) the 8 miles to Georgetown, how about turning right on 193 and running the other way toward Placerville, back to 49, and then turning around and doubling back to Georgetown?

That's the best part of 193, and it's only a 20 minute thing out and back, and then you're back through Georgetown and out Wentworth Springs Road, to Icehouse Road to Hwy. 50 and down to Poor Red's.

For those taking their time - they could skip the run out 193 and back, instead, just heading directly to Georgetown, where we'll likely stop for a bathroom break anyhoo. The group would then be gathered and heading out on that beautiful, smooth asphalt of Wentworth Springs Road.

Whatcha think?

Wentworth Springs Rd. today with RsvlFeej.

IMG_2864XXXXX.jpg

All the roads are clear, dry, and clean.
A coupla thoughts about the route and the ride.

Most everyone involved knows the area and the roads very well. Therefore, a bit of "shared destination" planning might work best.

I'd like to take 49 past Cool, and turn on Pleasant Valley Road. PVR to 193. Then, instead of taking 193 'back' (left) the 8 miles to Georgetown, how about turning right on 193 and running the other way toward Placerville, back to 49, and then turning around and doubling back to Georgetown?

That's the best part of 193, and it's only a 20 minute thing out and back, and then you're back through Georgetown and out Wentworth Springs Road, to Icehouse Road to Hwy. 50 and down to Poor Red's.

For those taking their time - they could skip the run out 193 and back, instead, just heading directly to Georgetown, where we'll likely stop for a bathroom break anyhoo. The group would then be gathered and heading out on that beautiful, smooth asphalt of Wentworth Springs Road.

Whatcha think?
I think you lost me at "turn left on PVR" from Hwy 49, since Pleasant Valley Rd. is south of Hwy 50.

We would'a-should'a-could'a started in P'ville, up Hwy 49, rt. on 193 through the canyon, L. on Garden Valley Rd., rt. on Marshall Rd. and up the twisty grade to Georgetown.

If you're talking about turning left on Marshall Rd. and rt. on Garden Valley Rd. then Rt. on 193 to a u-turn on 49 and back to Georgetown....you're adding 27 slow miles onto the trip, about 50 minutes to 1 hour. That's okay and those who want to do that should plan on leaving Starbucks just after 0800. It would be a great way to start the morning and you are correct, that IS the best part of Hwy 193.

According to my mapsource program, Hwy 49 through Cool to L on Hwy 193 to Georgetown adds approx 20 miles/23 minutes onto the proposed route.

OR, Hwy 49 to L Hwy 193, L on Garden Valley Rd. to R on Marshall Rd adds 22 miles/35+ minutes.

Whatever anyone plans to do is fine with me, just remember to adjust your start times to coincide with meeting @ Georgetown. OR, since this is a "shared destination" ride....the "meet up" in Georgetown isn't that specific.

I'm likely riding White Rock, L on El Dorado Blvd./Salmon Falls Rd, L. on 49 through Cool down the canyon, R on Old Foresthill Rd. to L on Foresthill Rd. to Starbucks so I'm having my own "fun" on the way there.....Going to leave here about 0630-0645, wanna meet at Starbucks on Latrobe Rd @ 0700-0715?

;)

:yahoo:

Where was everyone? No one was there.... Did I have the right day??? :dribble:
I should have known... :(

........You know those SoCal types .... all high on refer and pills........ he will sleep it off and not remember a thing,

then he will show up as planned tomorrow....... :clapping:

B.....