fjrchik's new fjr!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These throttle rockers are great and makes handling the FJRs power nice and smooth- I used one of these on my 03 for years and now won't do without.
+1 on the throttle rocker. I've got one and love it. Won't leave home without it.

Had a fun moment taking it up to 115. It went up to that from 75 so freakin fast, I was shocked. And this is my second FJR!! Wrists and fingers are sore cause I haven't rode for 4 months so I gotta get back in shape.
Hmm, 115 and wondering about your gas mileage- go figure!

My on board computer tells me that I am getting an average of 40.6 mpg although each time I check the mpg at this moment setting it tells me 17 mpg- go figure?

Fjrchic, I use a throttle rocker and it really helps with your wrist fatigue- I know on an earlier post you mentioned that the throttle spring seemed really tight and made holding the throttle hard. These throttle rockers are great and makes handling the FJRs power nice and smooth- I used one of these on my 03 for years and now won't do without.
Hey John!

Glad your out havin fun today!! I do have a throttle rocker and was using it all day. It isn't staying put very well though. But I totally agree with you, can't live without the rocker. I've always had problems with my fingers going numb but not usually the wrists hurting. I think the throttle is maybe a slight bit harder to turn than my 03 was. Hopefully it will break-in with time. My mpg is 42 so my quick trip up to 115 didn't hurt too bad! I'm off tomorrow and prolly Monday too. Will try commuting Tuesday if weather allows. Perfect timing as gas prices are getting ridiculous again!

:yahoo: Congrats on the bike and the end of a long wait! The wind and accompanying dust were awful that day, and partying with friends is good--looking forward to more ride reports from ya!

Gini

Watch out for them sand storms, hon. And watch out for them rain storms too, those can be pretty nasty. :haha:

Fjrchik,

Congrats on the new FJR. Now when are you going to come up to Vermont so I can show you around? Keep us posted on how you like it.

Tom

Had a fun moment taking it up to 115. It went up to that from 75 so freakin fast, I was shocked. And this is my second FJR!! Wrists and fingers are sore cause I haven't rode for 4 months so I gotta get back in shape.

My on board computer tells me that I am getting an average of 40.6 mpg although each time I check the mpg at this moment setting it tells me 17 mpg- go figure?

Fjrchic, I use a throttle rocker and it really helps with your wrist fatigue- I know on an earlier post you mentioned that the throttle spring seemed really tight and made holding the throttle hard. These throttle rockers are great and makes handling the FJRs power nice and smooth- I used one of these on my 03 for years and now won't do without.
Hey John!

Glad your out havin fun today!! I do have a throttle rocker and was using it all day. It isn't staying put very well though. But I totally agree with you, can't live without the rocker. I've always had problems with my fingers going numb but not usually the wrists hurting. I think the throttle is maybe a slight bit harder to turn than my 03 was. Hopefully it will break-in with time. My mpg is 42 so my quick trip up to 115 didn't hurt too bad! I'm off tomorrow and prolly Monday too. Will try commuting Tuesday if weather allows. Perfect timing as gas prices are getting ridiculous again!
I've had issues in the past with numb fingers as well, always wondered if it's vibration or just how I hold the throttle. Don't have my FJR yet *hopefully this week* so this has always happened on my current bike, ZX9R so could be my angle that I ride? I've tried a throttle rocker, but it still happens, and I've also had issues with gloves to tight in the wrists that cut off circulation down the right side of my hand. Any suggestions to other than keep you hands active to solve the numbness?

AJ

Congrats on the new bike. It looks good on you. B)

With that dark of a color, might I suggest you keep one of these in your saddle bag?

imgDusterComboSide.jpg

Wow...three brand new scoots all getting trailored home. They have to be harleys. :haha:
As my dad said when I told him about all the trailering comments ~

"It was on parade!"

Having numb hands could be a few pressure points but usually in the wrists and it can be attributed to angle. Sometimes also in the elbow area and can even be attributed to your neck and shoulders. Conditioning and strength exercises help but sometimes does not rid you of this syndrome.

I was at a point on my 03 when i was riding alot that they didn't hurt much. I think they did get stronger and used to it. And i've tried different angles and techniques. Even bought gel-pad gloves. More riding time just seemed to do. So I know I have to build up my strength again.

How about carpal-tunnel syndrome of the hands? Sounds bad and can get bad. I had my hand operated on it is great no sleepy for it now,. And I have a throttle mister on my bike now and do not use it. It keeps getting out of adjustment very easly.

And i've tried different angles and techniques. Even bought gel-pad gloves.
I never thought about it until this bike- but what about the angle of the brake and clutch levers?

My brake lever was in the same position that I was used to on the '03- just down a bit from being flat even with the grips, but my clutch was set twisted really low so that my hand had to reach more down than accross to get the lever. I think a closer to parallel setting would take off pressure from your writsts and hands and help keep the blood flow going.

i wonder if there is a set standard that most people set the hight/angle of the levers to?

John

Congrats on the new bikes!

I saw Tony on his A model up at Mena on Saturday... guess he decided to ride up and do a bit of bench racing with the HSTA folks... was nice to see him and his new ride. Especially side by side with the '03, '04, and '05 models that were up there too.

Fjrchik,

Congratulations on the new wheels! Ride safe and have fun with that new toy! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new scoot - if I had my Warrior sold I would have been up there with you. May have to take a bigger hit than planned to get rid of of it - I'm jealous - everything I keep reading and hearing tells me I NEED this bike! Anybody know of someone looking for a good deal on a custom tricked out Warrior? :D
Frisco, they have a new 05' at NTY and just might take your Warrior off yur hands for not too bad a likin'

Hey John!

I found a trick to keep your throttle rocket in place, but you have to be absolutely sure about the position of your TR before you do this. Use Grip glue, usually sold at many bike shops when we replace grips. Glue between your velcro and your grip, then move it to the "Exact" position you need it and secure the velcro fastener. Wait 12 hours and your good to go.

Congrats on the new scoot - if I had my Warrior sold I would have been up there with you.  May have to take a bigger hit than planned to get rid of of it - I'm jealous - everything I keep reading and hearing tells me I NEED this bike!  Anybody know of someone looking for a good deal on a custom tricked out Warrior?  :D
Frisco, they have a new 05' at NTY and just might take your Warrior off yur hands for not too bad a likin'
May have to take a ride up there and see what they will do though the main reason I didn't go for the 04 when I got the Warrior is because i had heard bad things about the heat. I had a Valk and traded that in on a Roady because i couldn't take the heat from it down here in the Texas summers. At least that was the basis of my case when I presented it to the other half why I wanted to trade in a bike after 2 years :D

And i've tried different angles and techniques. Even bought gel-pad gloves.
I never thought about it until this bike- but what about the angle of the brake and clutch levers?

My brake lever was in the same position that I was used to on the '03- just down a bit from being flat even with the grips, but my clutch was set twisted really low so that my hand had to reach more down than accross to get the lever. I think a closer to parallel setting would take off pressure from your writsts and hands and help keep the blood flow going.

i wonder if there is a set standard that most people set the hight/angle of the levers to?

John
Actually, I adjusted mine by rotating them further forward. From the dealer they were almost "flat", i.e., parallel to the ground. I actually had to rotate my hands back so my fingers would easily reach for them, or when covering the front brake in traffic, my right wrist was uncomfortable. Once I rotated them to approximate the angle of my arms to the bars, riding in stop and go traffic is much easier for me. Plus it keps my hands deeper into the V-strom handguards for cold weather riding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts