FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rode 3 gps in 2013. A lot of people like to say plan the ride and ride the plan. But that isn't always optimum when rally planning has to occur "on the clock" (legs 2 and 3). I keep one GPS with active route under the hammer, will run all the way to a checkpoint or a high point time limited bonus so I can keep tabs. Another can be calculating dropping some points or adding as I'm droning on I-40 -- optimizing. Nothing is worse having a long route recalculating when you need guidance. The third I use as a data center and is an older street pilot so I can see all the bonus points around me. I will use for speed and average mph and such, finding easy on/off gas, etc. Also will point to the bonus after the current bonus, in case Garmin doesn't think I attained the previous right away, I always have directions "out" of the bonus area.This year will probably be two plus IPhone 6+

I'm no rally pro like a lot of you guys, but I'm amazed how much I can do with my single iPhone. Every time I suggest that it's more capable than a dedicated GPS I get slammed like I'm some kind of pagan. I'd be interested to hear what your main reasons for switching are if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Good luck this year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, just WOW!

Great thread and the rally is still 4 days away.

Thanks to all for the great info.

Excited to see this rally. Hoping to be able to make it to the East TN checkpoint.

Safe rides all.

My round mirrors are in the lower outer corner of the stock mirrors. Funny you put them on the inside. Every little bit helps.
Curious,

Dave

Going back a few pages but it was hard to keep up the past two days and wanted to answer the question directed to me
smile.png
My 1st FJR had the convex mirrors on the outside but I found that I didn't like losing the use of the stock mirror area where I put the convex one. For me, the inner third of the stock mirror is useless to me since it is looking at my arms. When I built this bike, I found a set of convex mirrors that had a major amount of tilt and put them in the useless area of the stock mirror. I can see the car in my peripheral vision well before the headlights move out of the field of view of the convex ones. With this setup I feel I have a better picture of what is going on behind and beside me than my 1st setup but the key was finding a set of mirrors that had enough tilt. On my 1st bike I found myself lifting my arms off the bars so I could see under them to see behind me, now I can just tip my head a bit and the outer part of the mirror gives me a good view of what is straight behind me.

Thanks, Matt, for the theme recap. Now I'm really interested to hear the theme for this year!

Anyone in the Albuquerque area know of a welder who would be willing to do some welding on Friday?
Ruh-roh...

Paging 'Zilla to the white courtesy phone...

While waiting for a response, it might help to know:

1. What is the metal that needs to be welded (Aluminum? Steel??)

2. What are the pieces to? Thickness of metal? Finish (anodized, galvanized, plated?)

Depending on these answers, the welder can know what type of welding is best to use, and if he/she is even skilled or experienced enough to try it.

I got a text from tony saying he believes it is aluminum. It is the bracket for his aux light.

Anyone in the Albuquerque area know of a welder who would be willing to do some welding on Friday?

Ack, this can't be good!
sad.png
Lemme guess....rear sub-frame?

You are supposed to find damage like this well before showtime, you know....
nono.gif

OK, breath deep, this is a big city, lots of welders.... you'll get hooked up....
punk.gif

edit: ok, a broken light bracket isn't anywhere near as bad as a broken sub-frame....

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a text from tony saying he believes it is aluminum. It is the bracket for his aux light.
Depending on the light itself, I have a set of Garauld's brackets I recently took off my FJR taking up space in my garage. I can overnight 'em if needed.

Tony just pulled in. I misunderstood his txt. It is the front subframe the mirror aux bracket bolts to.

Ande Bergmann-Good and husband Jon are riding 2-up this year, and are visiting her parents right here in Albuquerque. She consulted parents and is making phone calls for an aluminum welder now.

Status
Not open for further replies.