FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site, in Greenville, TN., a required checkpoint today?
No mention that it's required, but there are unique instructions and judging by rider participation it likely is worth decent points

"Park in the nearby visitor parking lot and have your Rider Number recorded by IBR staff not later than 5:15 pm in front of the site. Be in the group picture taken by IBR staff at 5:30 pm with the other riders present. Your flag must be visible in the photo." (pg 92)

If any of y'all have a rider who needs some kind of mehcanical work, or tires, there is a guy here doing such work. He does have a supply of tires, obviously, riders would be limited to what he has on hand, I *know* he has front tires for an FJR. Do not know about rear, but very possible. He could do other things as well. No stock of parts for FJR, but he's a good wrench. Name is George and if your rider can't find a staff member who knows where to direct them, they can look for me, I will be scoring. Just ask for Kitty. Unlikely it'd come to that, we're spreading the word around the lot.

It's very fun to be here and chat with everyone, getting news from other riders with whom I'm not in contact. Good times! Now, the weather... Quite pleasant right now, forecast for nasty thunderstorms later this afternoon and evening - when the bulk of the riders will be arriving.

Someone's in D.C., I'm presuming hitting all the monuments.
And now appears to be heading to Gettysburg to do a quick sweep. Traffic is a mess there this weekend. Gonna be cutting it close. The small silver lining is that his trek will have home going down 81 through Virginia where they upped the speed limit to 70 most of the way, however, they're big on handing out performance awards on holiday weekends and radar detectors are illegal in Virginia.

Twigg, if you need to a place to keep your bike in ABQ until arrangements can be made there's room in the garage. ~~WW

I posted up a few more pics on my Blog. I was busy scoring as the Riders were coming into Albuquerque, but I have some from the parking lot as riders were leaving, and some from the Truman Historic Site here in the KCMO area. And yes, a couple FJR pilots are in there.

https://www.mls2go.blogspot.com/

I think DC wouldn't have been too bad this morning, when the rider was there. The bad traffic is typically heading back to town and the close in suburbs on the last day of a holiday weekend. Looks like the same rider is in Gettysburg now. Hope he starts south fairly soon. I'd want a bit of cushion with all the nasty weather in the area. I believe someone lost their spot, tho I'm not sure who or where, but that could possibly account for a non moving dot. I also think there's been a few more folks who have decided to hang up their helmet. Sorry for them, I'm sure it is a difficult decision to make. We'll hear the details when Chris's next report comes out, I'm sure.

Oh, I met him in the bar last night and was quickly warned to stop talking unless I wanted to see it in print. :)

radar detectors are illegal in Virginia.
Illegal to possess or to use, or both?
Both. Here's the link to the relevant section of the VA vehicle code:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/46.2-1079/

Excerpts:

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes.
and

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

As per usual it takes my till the second checkpoint to remember how to sign on to the Forum.
Hi Iggy!!

I fly to ABQ Friday for scoring duties and banquet festivities.
I REALLY like what you are posting over on your AdvRider thread! Keep sharing the insight.

Who's on the 03 fjr? With British accent?Looking like he's got a leak originating up by oil filter. He's believing a possible final drive. I saw oil originating from just behind oil filter. Bike was on side stand I saw plenty of oil in window

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's on the 03 fjr? With British accent?Looking like he's got a leak originating up by oil filter. He's believing a possible final drive. I saw oil originating from just behind oil filter. Bike was on side stand I saw plenty of oil in window
A picture here would help a lot. I know there will be several FJR peeps in Kingsport this evening that should be able to help out.

A picture here would help a lot. I know there will be several FJR peeps in Kingsport this evening that should be able to help out.
just got home......let me work on a picture

Someone's in D.C., I'm presuming hitting all the monuments.
...Traffic is a mess there this weekend. Gonna be cutting it close. The small silver lining is that his trek will have home going down 81 through Virginia where they upped the speed limit to 70 most of the way...
I81 is a cluster on a good day. Post holiday Sunday and you'll be lucky to see 70 mph. "VDOT511" website and you can access the 1000 or so cameras they have for monitoring weather and traffic conditions. I would NOT want to be trying to make time on the east coast Eisenhower system today.

#176 Forest city to Kingsport, 7 hours 40 min's google maps

#167 Sharpsburg PA, to Kingsport, 6 hours 17 min's. google maps.

Me thinks they need to haul ass, Pronto!

Dave

If any of y'all have a rider who needs some kind of mehcanical work, or tires, there is a guy here doing such work. He does have a supply of tires, obviously, riders would be limited to what he has on hand, I *know* he has front tires for an FJR. Do not know about rear, but very possible. He could do other things as well. No stock of parts for FJR, but he's a good wrench. Name is George and if your rider can't find a staff member who knows where to direct them, they can look for me, I will be scoring. Just ask for Kitty. Unlikely it'd come to that, we're spreading the word around the lot.
It's very fun to be here and chat with everyone, getting news from other riders with whom I'm not in contact. Good times! Now, the weather... Quite pleasant right now, forecast for nasty thunderstorms later this afternoon and evening - when the bulk of the riders will be arriving.
If that is the same George as in Pittsburgh at the 13 Rally, he and Roger Sinclair helped a bunch of people there. Tim Masterson ruined a tire and they put one on for him and told him when he got done to Paypal them the money. He did plus extra, as it could have saved his rally. I was changing my rear wheel and tire, (prestaged there) and he just came over to lend a hand or a bit of encouragement. Always a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.